Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation based upon experience with Nvidia's web drivers for the Maxwell chipset cards (900 series). The cards came out in the Summer before Yosemite's Fall release, but support didn't arrive until Yosemite was released. So, expect support by Nvidia for Sierra's release.

Can you try DisplayPort instead?
None of my monitors have DisplayPort. I'm using a DP->VGA adapter for using an extra old monitor as second display.

If you set everything back to IGFX in the bios and boot Windows, then right click on the iGPU desktop, does it show two displays? If so click 'identify' to display a number showing which is which, and then under 'multiple displays' select 'show only on 1/2' as appropriate. That did the job for me, anyway.
I'll try, although I don't really understand what is doing Windows with the two GPUs.

I'd really like to remove my Linux installation that I had to set up only for deep learning purposes :/
Hey! Another GPGPU geek! :) My favorite development environment is OSX, so I've set up a cross compiling environment, using mingw64, that lets me build Windows executables from OSX. I've checked that the Pascal Titan X has higher performance on Windows than on Linux, so what I'm doing is all the development in OSX and switch to Windows to measure performance on the Titan. I also use VirtualBox for testing Windows executables from OSX, although you cannot test GPGPU programs this way, because VirtualBox doesn't virtualize GPGPU.

None of my monitors have DisplayPort. I'm using a DP->VGA adapter for using an extra old monitor as second display.

Just being curious, based on this post's title: You have $1500+ gpu, but display so old it doesn't have DVI/HDMI/DP? Unless the machine is used only as compute and you rarely look at it's display, I believe that display is a very important part of the build. Even more so as someone who is (I assume) looking at a lot of code each day. Seriously, You can get a decent display at about 20% the price of your gpu.

A question: Is there even a slim chance that the coming web driver will be compatible with El Capitan (or earlier)? Will we be required to upgrade to Sierra once it comes out in order to use the Pascal cards?

Last edited:
A question: Is there even a slim chance that the coming web driver will be compatible with El Capitan (or earlier)? Will we be required to upgrade to Sierra once it comes out in order to use the Pascal cards?

I don't really expect to see any further GPU hardware to be made compatible with OS X before the public introduction of Sierra. I expect Sierra to become publicly available in the next 4-6 weeks. It would be nice to see additional support available soon after this event.
I imagine that it is highly unlikely that El Capitan will have support for further GPU models from AMD or nVidia. Why would this happen so late on in the life cycle of this version of OS X?

Probably not. New drivers will be only for Sierra, but hoping we can extract and use for El Capitan. I don't plan to upgrade to Sierra until .1 or .2 update. I finally got El Capitan to my linking and don't want to do a fresh install again.

Just being curious, based on this post's title: You have $1500+ gpu, but display so old it doesn't have DVI/HDMI/DP? Unless the machine is used only as compute and you rarely look at it's display, I believe that display is a very important part of the build. Even more so as someone who is (I assume) looking at a lot of code each day. Seriously, You can get a decent display at about 20% the price of your gpu.
I didn't say that. My main display has HDMI, but no DP. It's a 32-inch 1920x1080. Not a 4K display, but it's big and crisp, and excellent for my use. On the other hand, my secondary display is a paleolithic 17-inch LG 1280x1024 with only VGA input, which serves me well for having my Terminals there as well as auxiliary apps (MP3 player, etc). I code on the 32-inch and invoke build commands from the Terminals on the 17-inch (yes, I'm the kind of person who builds from the command line :D )

You can see my build here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...-hd3p-i7-6700k-4ghz-32gb-2400mhz-ddr4.200483/

The question Izo made was if DP was an option for me, and it's not for the moment because the main display is HDMI and the secondary VGA.

BTW, last night was my first use of the Pascal Titan X for the task I bought it for, and, looking at the results, I really chose the right card. It lets me get the time measures I really needed for the research I'm doing. It was expensive, but it was the only card capable of showing how my GPGPU algorithms will perform in future GPUs these next years. It was an effort to buy it, but I got benchmarks that really change the applicability of my research. I'm happy :D

Last edited:
Probably not. New drivers will be only for Sierra, but hoping we can extract and use for El Capitan. I don't plan to upgrade to Sierra until .1 or .2 update. I finally got El Capitan to my linking and don't want to do a fresh install again.
Brah if we're to see any progress, we need to fresh install, there's no other way.

Brah if we're to see any progress, we need to fresh install, there's no other way.

Well I use real macs and hackintoshes and even on real macs new releases of OS X are fairly unstable and they always break applications such as ones from Adobe.

So you can tinker on a different drive and keep another one for a stable install. Hasn't that always been the ideal situation anyway?

Hasn't that always been the ideal situation anyway?
Well if you mean by "tinker drive" the one the OS is on and the design elements and workload on another, then yes, it's always been like that. Personally i would never spend cash on a "pure" mac just cause i don't like paying 70% for a logo (apple). I create logos for a living, i get paid for them i dont pay for them lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back