Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ... I'm writing with sad mood, cause I bought GTX 1060 for my birthday just passed few days ago, but now I figured out that still has no driver for this baby into my Macintosh 10.11.6

I would die for it!

(crying)

The 980 ti is probably better, but it's still sitting at 2x price compared to what we could expect for 1070. The 780 ti is also better than 970, but again, the latter is half the price. These gpus are whole different price range and targeted at different demographics, so you can't really compare how good the 980 ti was based on how it stack up towards newer, lower tier, gpu.
Although I'm not saying 980 ti is bad, it's very close to 1080, especially in gpu-accelerated tasks, with it's extra cuda cores.

There is also a big difference of having 6GB (GTX 980 Ti) vs 8GB (GTX 1080), if you work with 4/5K video in Davinci and applying OFX plugins or Noise Reduction, Blackmagik Design recommends 8GB GPU... that is a huge difference!

Anyways I haven't reach till the end of threat so I hope drivers are available as I actually have a Gigabyte 760 in my Hackpro and thinking to update the GPU to 1080 or Titan as primary or as secondary GPU as I recently purchased Davinci Resolve Studio and I can have more than one GPU now... I'm crossing fingers!!

Hi ... I'm writing with sad mood, cause I bought GTX 1060 for my birthday just passed few days ago, but now I figured out that still has no driver for this baby into my Macintosh 10.11.6

I would die for it!

(crying)

Instead of dying and crying here(which makes no sense), do some fresh research on release dates and share with us.

Nvidia will not release drivers before Sierra is officially rolling out to everyone.

They might want to avoid support queries and troubleshooting beta drivers on beta software.

Even last year, they released Maxwell drivers in Sept/Oct 2015.
I hope the update to Sierra will be easy and that it will work fine on my motherboard... I tend to wait several months until I update to a new OSX release, but if NVIDIA releases Pascal drivers for Sierra only, I'll update on the first day.

I hope next week Appe will released new iphone and imacs and macbooks on Sierra

Meanwhile did anybody try to use eGPU with 1070 or 1080? What are your impressions? How is it in terms of speed and the price?

I would die for it!

(crying)
Don't be too sad! I just did something similar, I bought a GTX 1070 so I could play some VR stuff in Windows, and when I rebooted my Hackintosh partition I realised I'd made a mistake! no drivers! - Luckily my motherboard graphics work great so I can still use my mac partition well enough until the drivers get released.

Meanwhile did anybody try to use eGPU with 1070 or 1080? What are your impressions? How is it in terms of speed and the price?
Surely nobody is going to be using eGPU with these cards until the Mac drivers are released.

From using one in a desktop, the speed is fantastic. I'm using a 1080 with a 1920x1200 monitor, and it plays every current game at ultra settings at 60 fps without really breaking sweat, GPU usage stays low and fans are quiet. The only way to really get the fans spinning up is by oversampling and running it at a much higher resolution. The Battlefield One beta runs at 200 fps, which is the framerate cap for the game engine and the temperature remains low. Bumping it up to 50% extra resolution drops it to about 120 fps and makes the fans a lot louder, but there's headroom for going much higher.

Price is ridiculous, really. Nvidia is benefiting from not having any competition at the moment. But these are really impressive cards if you have a high res display or want to try high oversampling (which looks very good indeed).

I hope next week Appe will released new iphone and imacs and macbooks on Sierra

Macs are highly unlikely next week. It seems to be an iPhone event. There might be another event in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back