Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you check what's the status of your Pascal GPU when running OSX on the IGPU? Does it get warm? Does the fan spin?

Pascal fan is OFF for me when using iGPU. It never gets warm.

The EVGA ACX3.0 cooler turns off the fan when the card is idling or running at a really low Mhz.

I think nVidia will release it, even if it doesn't see it as "officially supported".

CUDA drivers are on 8.0 release candidate, and they heavily invest in the Octane Renderer along with the Google CEO, and they have a Mac version.

The significance of the Nvidia gentleman stating that the Pascal support will come in "R367" driver is important - "R367" is designation for Sierra drivers. So, my money is for the initial release of Sierra in the Fall. This shouldn't come as a surprise as Nvidia did the same OS X release procedure with the Maxwell chipset cards, released in early Summer before Yosemite's Fall release.

Thus, I'm holding off getting a Pascal card until the Sierra 10.12.0 release and see if Pascal is supported by Nvidia web drivers. (I seriously doubt Apple will incorporate them into Sierra as they are currently in love with AMD.)

Hang in there, guys! :thumbup:

Pascal fan is OFF for me when using iGPU. It never gets warm.

The EVGA ACX3.0 cooler turns off the fan when the card is idling or running at a really low Mhz.
Thanks a lot!

I think nVidia will release it, even if it doesn't see it as "officially supported".

CUDA drivers are on 8.0 release candidate, and they heavily invest in the Octane Renderer along with the Google CEO, and they have a Mac version.
I hope so, but my conversations with NVIDIA support make me seriously doubt about Pascal support in OSX. I had to be very persistent to convince the support guy to register my feedback as a petition.

I hope so, but my conversations with NVIDIA support make me seriously doubt about Pascal support in OSX. I had to be very persistent to convince the support guy to register my feedback as a petition.
If they are going to release a pascal quadro card they will need those drivers kicking in hehe lets pray

As for Linux, Pascal has been supported in 367.18 (beta, 2016.5.19) and 367.27 (2016.6.13).
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102879/en-us
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/104284/en-us

I envy you, Linux.

It seems there're currently important timing bugs in Pascal Windows drivers, and a new Windows driver version will be released next week with important bug fixes. I wish this would trigger a new OSX webdrivers release these weeks, but I have serious doubts as I said.

I just spoke with a Nvidia representative using this chat http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

After I asked if the gtx 1080 Web Drivers where currently available, he replayed that they weren't currently available. However when I asked him if he could confirm that the drivers were in development he replied with this:

"The GTX 1080 is not officially supported with MAC OS, but there would be drivers which support Pascal cards on MAC in the near future."

So it seems he has confirmed that the Web Drivers are at least in development.

Last edited:

As someone who has worked tech support before I find it ridiculous that you take this as indication that Pascal support will not come to OS X. You know those support guys are barely making more than minimum wage, right? There is no feasible way they are authorized to inside information, and even if they were, there is absolutely a rule that they are not allowed to speculate on upcoming product releases. MacVidCards has already found hints of Pascal support in the latest web drivers. Nvidia is a multi billion dollar company.. Unfortunately a 'feedback petition' carries pretty much no weight at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back