Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please take out your GPU and install OS X using one of the many guides on this forum. Use the DisplayPort/HDMI port on your motherboard to install OS X fully.

FYI GTX1070/1080/1060 does not work under OS X at the moment.

You can start here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

Ok, so i take out my GPU, follow those steps, and then put the gpu back in I guess? I wanna dual boot, and im extremely new to this, this is my first custom pc

Ok, so i take out my GPU, follow those steps, and then put the gpu back in I guess? I wanna dual boot, and im extremely new to this, this is my first custom pc

Please try posting in these forums for pre-installation help:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/categories/the-build.4/

This thread is more about post-installs.

But at the moment, if you want to dual boot with OS X and Windows 10...

You can use your internal GPU (one that comes with your CPU/mobo) for OS X and your GTX 1070 under Windows 10.

Install your OS X first and foremost. Take out your GPU for now and complete with the guides on this forum. Once everything is set up and you're happy with it (all audio/network/USB etc) are working....then physically disconnect the power of your SSD and pop in a second SSD (highly recommend two separate SSDs instead of 2 partitions) and install Windows and then install all chipset drivers for your mobo.

It's a long process you have to fiddle around a bit. Once you're done with both your OS X and Windows install come check out this thread. :)

If you're not too technically savvy, then it will be a little difficult, but not too difficult to wrap your head around it.

Check that thread I sent you with the wonderful guide, it makes it so easy anyone can do it.

Also try looking to see if someone else built a setup with your motherboard so you can get it working faster.

Last edited:
Note, if your monitor has 2x HDMI/DisplayPorts, then you can definitely run 1 DP wire from iGPU port and 1 DP wire from GTX10x0 and switch between inputs. This will cost you nothing but 1 extra DP cable (grab one from Monoprice or Amazon or your local store).

Does this really work? Is it possible to keep the GTX 1060/RX 480 in the slot, while using OS X with the iGPU just by switching the input source on the monitor? - Did you try it?
And if the iGPU needs to be set as primary graphics card will the real card automatically work with Windows or do I have to switch to it using the BIOS settings everytime?
(My monitor's got 1 DP-in and 2 HDMI-ins.)

Does this really work? Is it possible to keep the GTX 1060/RX 480 in the slot, while using OS X with the iGPU just by switching the input source on the monitor? - Did you try it?
And if the iGPU needs to be set as primary graphics card will the real card automatically work with Windows or do I have to switch to it using the BIOS settings everytime?
(My monitor's got 1 DP-in and 2 HDMI-ins.)

Yes it works on my setup (check my specs) via a DP switch. It works perfectly actually. I use OS X for professional high end work and it works great. Really need GTX1080 drivers, though, I can't use Davinci Resolve at the moment because I need my CUDA cores.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a 2 DP input monitor? Haven't tried it since I don't have access to a monitor that has 2 DP inputs. (If your monitor has AUTO DETECT I would disable it, fyi, so you can manually switch between inputs).

For leisure I jump into Windows 10 maybe once or twice a week or weekends for some gaming and VR experiments and Davinci Resolve (although I prefer using it under OS X).

Set your iGPU as PRIMARY in BIOS. Treat your computer as if you only have the iGPU. When in Windows and everything is loaded (wait a few seconds) just switch to your GTX10x0 card and work as you usually do. BEFORE you shut down OR restart, switch back to your iGPU UNDER WINDOWS, so when you shut down/restart, your iGPU will be used again under Clover and you'll never have a problem.

If Windows doesn't see any cables monitors in the iGPU port, it will not use your iGPU, so no need to worry about anything. If your monitor sees Windows 10 through your GTX10x0, you're good to go. I've run benchmarks like Prime95 and 3D Mark etc etc for more than 24 hours a few times already just to test, and all works perfectly well under Windows.

I don't know about the RX480, but I assume it should be ok as well using this technique.

The great thing about this GTX1080 I have from EVGA (FTW edition) with the ACX 3.0 cooler is that the fans are DISABLED when it is idle, so it's not spinning at all if I'm under OS X using the iGPU. It only kicks in when the temp on it rises under Windows and it's still quiet. You can also disable those damn "gamer" LED lights and write it to the firmware of the card so it won't show up at all (always hated LED lights :p )

Last edited:
Did you have to config anything special in OSX/clover or did this setup just work?

I have a 1080 I want to use, but had to revert to my 770. Mostly because I was trying the 1080 + iGPU setup with cable switch...iGPU for Mac, 1080 for windows. I couldn't get dual monitors off the iGPU to work reliably and I need it for work.

I could add the 1080 and move my 770 down a few PCI slots and then maybe even use that for a PhysicsX card in Windows. I will have to run some benchmarks to check how that affects the PCIe lanes and whether it's a performance bump or not. (I'd think my 850 power supply could handle it?)

I didn't have to do anything special. The key thing here is that my 660 is in my TOP PCIe slot with the BIOS set to use it as the primary display output. I have a triple display setup, so I have all 3 connected to my 660 and then just my center 4K connected to the 1080 for Windows, letting the 660 drive the side displays. Didn't have to make any changes to Clover, just had to "disable" the 660's output to my 4K in Windows.

I'm currently using my old 6870 for OSX in the top PCIe slot and a GTX 1070 (MSI Armor OC) in the second one for Windows. No problems with that setup. Default card is 6870 for Clover. I've disabled the 6870 in Windows, so I just switch input on my screen after I select Windows in Clover. That's all I have to do, switch input on the screen. Nice setup so far.

The 1070 runs very cool and quiet (haven't even added it to my water loop yet), fans don't spin when in OSX, so until we get drivers it's a pretty good setup.

Ok then get the Titan X and build a PC and you're set.

I would try to get a mobo that is at least close to supporting OS X so you can use OS X in the future if you want to go to it.

I have the Asus ROG Gene VIII mATX mobo and it's an excellent board. Feature packed, small scale (if you care about size) and the sound card is amazing because it has a DAC/AMP built in and I can plug in my Audeze LCD3 without an external Amp.

But beware, this board doesn't support 6-core Broadwell-E. Afaik, you have to go with X99 and not Z170 for Broadwell-E.

I already purchased the Pascal Titan X this week, and hope it will arrive next week. Under normal conditions it would have been wiser to wait until Pascal support on OSX is clearer, or until Sierra is released, but I really need the Titan now, for a GPGPU project that can be done in Linux too. I didn't know 6-core Haswell-E support on OSX isn't bulletproof yet, so I decided to go for a 6700K @ 4GHz. The mobo will be a Z170 from the buyer's guide recommendations, so that the system is OSX-friendly. I'll be getting a 500GB Crucial SSD MX200 for OSX, and a 6TB WD Blue HDD for storage, for the (temporal) Linux installation, and for a OSX partition that will hold the OSX hibernation file (I don't like to put the hibernationfile on SDD, I prefer it to be on HDD).

BTW, if I already build a dual boot Linux (with Pascal Titan X) and OS X El Cap (with iGPU HD530), will it be easy to install the NVIDIA Pascal drivers later (if they are released), or will it be difficult if I make the installation with the iGPU now?

Thanks!

I didn't know 6-core Haswell-E support on OSX isn't bulletproof yet, so I decided to go for a 6700K @ 4GHz. The mobo will be a Z170 from the buyer's guide recommendations, so that the system is OSX-friendly. I'll be getting a 500GB Crucial SSD MX200 for OSX, and a 6TB WD Blue HDD for storage, for the (temporal) Linux installation, and for a OSX partition that will hold the OSX hibernation file (I don't like to put the hibernationfile on SDD, I prefer it to be on HDD).

That was one of the reasons I went with the 6700K as well. I really wanted a Broadwell-E 6-core or 8-core or the newer Xeons (but the support for them is finicky, unless you get the CPUs that are in the 2013 Mac Pro).

To be honest, the 6700K is a really good CPU at 4.0Ghz. I have it water-cooled with a Corsair H100iv2 and I can go up to 4.5Ghz without a problem and Geekbench scores go above 20,000. I brought it down now, though, but will experiment later.

I had built another Hackintosh for another person with the 4770K a while back and it worked flawlessly.

I really wouldn't put any hibernation files on different drives, just let it be. Hibernation files are not that huge, anyway. You can also disable it if you're worried about space usage. It's a desktop not a laptop.

BTW, if I already build a dual boot Linux (with Pascal Titan X) and OS X El Cap (with iGPU HD530), will it be easy to install the NVIDIA Pascal drivers later (if they are released), or will it be difficult if I make the installation with the iGPU now?

Thanks!

Yeah, it will be super easy. I keep bugging nVidia support chat for drivers and they keep saying Pascal is unsupported under OS X and said Maxwell is supported, so I assume if they say Maxwell IS supported, then that means Pascal will be too, because nVidia has always been hush hush about their WebDrivers and I don't think take it that seriously. I also ask them to submit a ticket to the drivers team each time I bug them so we all can get it faster here (hopefully).

When the drivers are released, you can disable iGPU (or set it to AUTO, usually PCIe cards take priority over iGPU) after the driver installation.

The Haswell CPU you have had an ok iGPU, not sure if you're trying to run at 4k.

1440p, which only works with display port on the hd4600; I could never get the hdmi patch to output at 60hz. I also had issues getting the display port to work concurrently with hdmi to my projector. It would blank half the screen and the only way to fix it was to sleep the machine and wake it. I also cannot get hdmi audio to work right. I'm sure it's possible, I just don't have the patience and I've tried all the easy fixes. I had none of these problems with either a 770 gtx or a 970 gtx but I sold them both before they became worthless. As a single display solution with DP only though, it's adequate.

That being said the equivalent HD4000 in my MBR has none of these issues. Yay for official hardware?

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. I have not disabled the 6870 device itself, I have disabled its output/screen in display settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back