Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the key here is the future of the Mac Pro. If it's discontinued, game over (I mean game over for the whole Mac product line and MacOS, because it won't live for long without a professional-class Mac). If it's continued, I seriously doubt it will continue the cylinder concept, because they sold very few units. So, if they bring back the traditional Mac Pro concept, supporting other GPUs might be necessary.

If the Mac Pro is discontinued, we'll see perhaps one or two more Mac generations, and then just iOS.

I don't think that'll happen. IF the Mac Pro is discontinued, there will still be the iMacs and MacBook Pros and they're not going away any time soon. If they keep using AMD GPUs and nVidia completely abandons us, then we can still build Hackintoshes but will be stuck with AMD or older GPUs.

There was an interview with Tim Cook (not a big fan of this guy) or some other Apple exec where they mentioned that the Macs will still be here for the next 10-15 years.

I really recommend people spam Apple execs via email (they DO check. I've gotten replies before). I would mention Pascal/nVidia and the Mac Pros and disappointment in not having the best GPUs in the Macs and the abandonement of the professional market.

Tim Cook:
[email protected]

Craig Federighi
[email protected]

Phil Schiller
[email protected]

Really hope something happens soon. I actually started planning my total migration to Windows on the weekend. Made me feel a bit ill. I really don't want to switch all my Mac operations over to Windows but its been months now since I was able to use my real work space, instead been using my under powered Mac laptop for jobs I usually do on my powerful PC running OSX. My IGPU does not perform well, for some reason the colors are all screwed up, like a terrible white balance when using the iGPU. I've spend hours trying to solve it, but nothing. Thats a deal breaker when I deal with photography and highly accurate color spaces. So im giving up.

Essentially my PC now just plays video games and thats it. Its a waste for me and Nvidia don't look like they're going to support Pascal on OSX any time soon. I mean, look how long this thread has been going for?

Absolutely. I hate Windows so much it makes me ill when I use it. Any version of Windows makes me angry. Only time I use it when I use VR and Gaming (when I have time).

It will be a frozen day in hell that I'll switch to Windows.

There was an interview with Tim Cook (not a big fan of this guy) or some other Apple exec where they mentioned that the Macs will still be here for the next 10-15 years.
It's the first time I read that, but if they dare to put a time limit to the Mac, then my guess is correct: They plan that all iOS development will be done on iOS at some point. And, if they say 10-15 years, make it 5, because if you don't care for something it will last even less than what you expected (very few ISVs will continue supporting MacOS if they know it has its days numbered... when you don't care for something, it becomes an exponential shrinking spiral). I really wish Apple open-sources MacOS. Otherwise, I guess it's time to look for another OS (not for tomorrow, but for 5 years from now).

Otherwise, I guess it's time to look for another OS (not for tomorrow, but for 5 years from now).
And realistically, that would be Windows. I've tried to like Windows 10, but it was not on the same level as MacOS.
In my case, I could make the switch to Ubuntu, if Adobe would support Linux...

I have been reading this thread since it's beginning and I have a few thoughts I'd like to share...

1. 2 Apple events have come and passed and we haven't heard a hint about NVidia.
2. We haven't heard anything about new Mac Pros.

Reflecting on this I am arriving to the conclusion there might not be a new MacPro anytime soon. Hopefully I am wrong, but still. I keep thinking (and someone mentioned something similar) that Apple might just pursue Microsofts OS development model - i.e. The same OS on all devices. We have seen Windows on many different platforms run just the same. So I keep thinking iOS will not become MacOS or vice or versa. I think at one point they will simply merge - we have already seen evidence of this happening. The only obstacle left is the hardware - it has to be powerful enough on the mobile side to do demanding productivity stuff and at the same time feature-rich enough on the desk so everything works the same all around. Basically we only need to see a touch screen iMac and we're all set.

The other thing I think is if AMD has such a strong relationship with Apple along with other (gaming) platforms then they must be doing something right. Or they have a very nice surprise for us in the pipeline.

Either way I keep an open mind about it, as well as OSes - I triple boot and feel comfortable enough swimming in all 3 of them.

P.S. Sorry for any typos - posting from a phone.

The other thing I think is if AMD has such a strong relationship with Apple along with other (gaming) platforms then they must be doing something right. Or they have a very nice surprise for us in the pipeline.
Apple certainly likels them for their good OpenCL performance and low price points. GCN 1.0 cards had a tremendous compute performance, and current-gen cards are not bad either.

AMD has been weaker at gaming, but their architectural decisions in the past are starting to pay out with DX12/Vulkan. I realized that when the Vulkan patch for Doom came out: It's barely playable at 1440p with my GTX 780 while my R9 280 gives almost steady 60 FPS. In classic DX11 games it's the other way around, async compute gave a huge boost.

This is such a long thread I forget if this has been covered already but I'm hearing a bit about prosumers shifting from MacPros which don't get updated enough, to MacBook Pros with external GPU enclosures.

Based on this alone I'd have thought it a smart business move for both AMD & NVIDIA to make sure there's drivers available moving forwards regardless of what's actually inside the new machines because some people will always need more grunt than what can fit inside "the thinnest" MacBook/iMac/whatever they throw out next.

It does feel like everything is heading towards going to the office and connecting your iPhone 10 to a screen and working off that. Which I'm not against - if they can make it powerful enough.

This is such a long thread I forget if this has been covered already but I'm hearing a bit about prosumers shifting from MacPros which don't get updated enough, to MacBook Pros with external GPU enclosures.
I think this user base is a lot smaller than the Hackintosh or classic Mac Pro users. Apple never supported eGPUs, so you need system hacks to enable them on TB1/TB2 Macs. On the freshly released TB3 Macs it doesn't work at all thanks to Apple's "strange" Thunderbolt implementation.

And realistically, that would be Windows. I've tried to like Windows 10, but it was not on the same level as MacOS.
In my case, I could make the switch to Ubuntu, if Adobe would support Linux...
It depends on your needs. I really need UNIX (my in-house software depends heavily on UNIX), but at the same time I also use some commercial applications (Office, AutoCAD, and Mathematica). So my best alternative OS won't be Windows, but some UNIX which can run such commercial applications from either VirtualBox or Wine. However, losing all the MacOS comfort and helpful features is a big lose that cannot be paralleled by any other OS I know of (bye bye app bundles and install-less apps, bye bye fat binaries, bye bye DMG features, bye bye customizable internationalization, bye bye true drag and drop, bye bye forward-compatible and backwards-compatible executable building... too many bye byes to be enumerated here, without any real alternative in other OS).

Oh, and I forgot: bye bye Preview, which wasn't just a previewer but a powerful PDF software which turned Adobe Acrobat unnecessary for most tasks (I've never needed to install Adobe Acrobat because Preview let me do every PDF conversion/tuning I needed)... not to mention automated resample of all image files in a folder... Preview will be greatly missed if Apple makes me switch... I'll need to install several apps for having all Preview features.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back