Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hope something happens soon. I actually started planning my total migration to Windows on the weekend. Made me feel a bit ill. I really don't want to switch all my Mac operations over to Windows but its been months now since I was able to use my real work space, instead been using my under powered Mac laptop for jobs I usually do on my powerful PC running OSX. My IGPU does not perform well, for some reason the colors are all screwed up, like a terrible white balance when using the iGPU. I've spend hours trying to solve it, but nothing. Thats a deal breaker when I deal with photography and highly accurate color spaces. So im giving up.

Essentially my PC now just plays video games and thats it. Its a waste for me and Nvidia don't look like they're going to support Pascal on OSX any time soon. I mean, look how long this thread has been going for?

I hear you. I spent last weekend cleaning up my Windows 10 installation and doing customizations and tweaks to make it clean and cozy. I used to game on Windows and make music on OSX but I just moved everything over to PC so I could properly utilize my 1070. I'll probably stop checking this thread at this point since everything is working well and I probably won't be switching back anytime soon. Oh well :|

For the time being, I bought myself a used GTX 970 and now everything's running smoothly again. I spent 3 months with Windows 10 and while it's really really not bad, it still doesn't match my productivity level in OSX.

While I'm happy with OS X (or macOS), I'm not happy with Apple anymore. They really sh** on their pro users at the moment. Their hardware was always expensive, but it was also the best you could get on the market. It's also completely baffling how Apple ignores the superior Pascal architecture at the moment.

I think Nvidia is aware of the situation, that hackintosh users are a growing number (if not the majority over Mac Pro users). Hopefully they'll continue their web drivers support in the future.

Otherwise I would only have the choice for a beautiful OS but very expensive last-gen hardware or cutting edge hardware but an inferior OS (at least for me).

I think Nvidia is aware of the situation, that hackintosh users are a growing number (if not the majority over Mac Pro users). Hopefully they'll continue their web drivers support in the future.

And that puts Nvidia in an awkward situation with Apple. I don't think they are going to jeopardize a future contract with Apple to support a grey niche market.

The 980 was supported, but that was when the last Mac Pro hardware that supported it was 2 years younger. In contrast, that same hardware is now almost 5 years old. The justification is just not as strong as it was.

Who knows though, maybe Nvidia doesn't care and will just cater to this market anyways.

I'm just being rational, I have a 1080, I really want Pascal support in macOS for it, but I think the chances are low. Also, no way is Nvidia going to directly respond to Tony. :/ sad but true

And that puts Nvidia in an awkward situation with Apple.
I don't think so. I doubt Apple cares about the webdrivers supported GPUs (by the way, GPUs that were never officially supported by Apple can be installed in true Macs thanks to the webdrivers, so they actually help support true Macs).

An interesting question would be what NVIDIA GPUs will ship with future Macs if the posted jobs offerings are true. If a team of just-hired developers starts writing drivers for future Macs, will they be on time for Pascal, or are they targeting Volta?

my PC is coming today... I thought I could install MacOS without troubles... I have an i7 6700k 64GB ram, and GTX 1080... so what I am going to do now is to install Windows 10 and into a virtual machine will run the Mac OS, at least I can use some acceleration in the graphic card. I have enough RAM for it I can do a 32 GB Mac OS without issues I guess..

(by the way, GPUs that were never officially supported by Apple can be installed in true Macs thanks to the webdrivers, so they actually help support true Macs).
And that's exactly what Apple does NOT want. They can't make any money with supporting old Mac Pros. They even stripped Maxwell support from Sierra drivers, although it's a build revision which should have full Maxwell support!

And that's exactly what Apple does NOT want. They can't make any money with supporting old Mac Pros. They even stripped Maxwell support from Sierra drivers, although it's a build revision which should have full Maxwell support!
I guess the key here is the future of the Mac Pro. If it's discontinued, game over (I mean game over for the whole Mac product line and MacOS, because it won't live for long without a professional-class Mac). If it's continued, I seriously doubt it will continue the cylinder concept, because they sold very few units. So, if they bring back the traditional Mac Pro concept, supporting other GPUs might be necessary.

If the Mac Pro is discontinued, we'll see perhaps one or two more Mac generations, and then just iOS.

But the irony is.... If Apple starts neglecting iMac/Mac Pro crowd, how will cutting edge apps and games be made for iOS? :lol:
Their interest in iOS is so strong that I'm beginning to believe they've plans for running either Xcode or a future development environment on iOS. They already tried to push the "iPad Pro" idea, and I believe they wish you could develop iOS apps with the iPad Pro in the not too distant future. That's why I'd wish that MacOS was open-sourced, because IMHO I don't see any future for MacOS at Apple unless there was a heavy direction change.

As I said, I think the future of the Mac Pro is the key. If they kill the Mac Pro now, they'll kill the whole Mac product line some years from now. Yes, the Mac Pro is a very minor selling product in terms of money benefit, but as puzzling as it might seem, the whole Mac product line depends on the health of the Mac Pro (IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back