Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm chomping at the bit to buy a 1080 for w10 gamingbut won't until drivers are released as switching monitor cables between OS's is a pain.

Is anyone else concerned nvidia won't have any pascal drivers?
It might be the end of the road?

I'm chomping at the bit to buy a 1080 for w10 gamingbut won't until drivers are released as switching monitor cables between OS's is a pain.

Is anyone else concerned nvidia won't have any pascal drivers?
It might be the end of the road?
They did this same approach with Maxwell drivers which came out after about a month after Yosemite was released. And Maxwell cards (GTX 900, etc) were only compatible with Yosemite and newer OS X's.

It depends what you define as support.

Windows and even Linux drivers are immediately available after the GPU release, whereas Mac users have to wait 6 months or more. Nvidia might still support macs, but it's certainly not their priority at the moment or they don't have (or feel the need to increase) manpower.

Well, in the meantime I've made the switch to Windows 10. At least Windows has become a decent OS by itself, nevertheless I'll make the switch back when Nvidia finally releases Pascal drivers :)

It depends what you define as support.

Windows and even Linux drivers are immediately available after the GPU release, whereas Mac users have to wait 6 months or more. Nvidia might still support macs, but it's certainly not their priority at the moment or they don't have (or feel the need to increase) manpower.

Well, in the meantime I've made the switch to Windows 10. At least Windows has become a decent OS by itself, nevertheless I'll make the switch back when Nvidia finally releases Pascal drivers :)

of course. what i'm saying is, eventually we'll get the drivers.

everyone else seems to mention that pascal is never going to get supported.

Just my 5 cents. You can treat my words with grain of salt but I do know what I am saying (OpenGL/Metal coding professionally for years).

Recently Apple has dramatically overhauled graphics teams and the improvements are all over the stock.
  • OpenCL/OpenGL is dead for OS X. Metal is the only way to go forward. You can forget about those two in the long run for OS X platform
  • Metal is very good. Indeed the Sierra Metal stack is the first graphics stack in ages that's sufficient for pro graphics and especially compute tasks
  • Intel compute drivers are done quite a lot on Apple side. And they are right now the fastest ones. Surprise (but expected)
  • AMD drivers are largely done on Apple side. They are so-so but still better than Nvidia. Especially with OpenGL.
  • Nvidia does all the lifting itself. It's not good or bad. Nvidia does not care about Metal at all mostly.
  • Metal Xcode tools are wonderful! Very good ones
In summary. OS X Sierra is very solid on GPU side especially when used with Metal. (I know it's macOS but whatever). Nvidia is not up to the point with Metal drivers. No serious Metal = no future in OS X.

For all interested in some pretty heavy GPU stressing
http://fractalarchitect.net/

And read the blog - it basically confirms my words as well. And not I am not affiliated directly with this app. Indirectly yes ;)

Update: I added a special thread requesting testing of Fractal App for anyone interested.

Last edited:
[...]
For all interested in some pretty heavy GPU stressing
http://fractalarchitect.net/

And read the blog - it basically confirms my words as well. And not I am not affiliated directly with this app. Indirectly yes ;)

A very interesting quote from that blog: "Nvidia has not yet released usable CUDA drivers for Sierra. Stay on El Capitan if you need CUDA support." This is very interesting because, if there're no Sierra CUDA drivers yet, I guess we can expect new drivers, which could include Pascal support.

everyone else seems to mention that pascal is never going to get supported.

No one is saying that. We're just repeating over and over that nobody outside of Nvidia can predict when they'll update their drivers to include Pascal support.

It's obvious that Nvidia has not given up on OS X, as their continued WebDriver support and the recent addition of G-Sync support shows.
On the other hand it's also obvious that OS X support has a very low priority, as we're still a tiny market for them.

Don't be too sad! I just did something similar, I bought a GTX 1070 so I could play some VR stuff in Windows, and when I rebooted my Hackintosh partition I realised I'd made a mistake! no drivers! - Luckily my motherboard graphics work great so I can still use my mac partition well enough until the drivers get released.

Do you have a guide on how to set this up? I have GTX 1070 too, but I could live with using the iGPU of my 6700K until the drivers are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back