Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good news?
So another 2-month waiting game?

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/23/nvidia-corporation-could-win-back-the-apple-inc-ma.aspx

NVIDIA job listing points to Apple collaboration
NVIDIA posted the following job listing on its website about a week ago:
Metal computer and Open CL software engineer
From the listing, we can see that NVIDIA is working on software to allow its graphics processors to function properly in future Mac products.

Isn't that the same job offer they posted a year ago?

No matter what, they would be foolish not to consider NVIDIA as a GPU partner. At the moment, NVIDIA's GPUs are simply so much better than AMD's, especially in terms of power efficiency (which Apple cares a lot about).

No matter what, they would be foolish not to consider NVIDIA as a GPU partner. At the moment, NVIDIA's GPUs are simply so much better than AMD's, especially in terms of power efficiency (which Apple cares a lot about).

Absolutely agree with you, Apple is crazy about power efficiency and the current GTXs are much better than AMD's RX 4xx.

Isn't that the same job offer they posted a year ago?

I am sorry but I am not aware of the same last year job offer.

Last edited:
Apple cares about price way more than anything else. They rather sell yesterday's tech downclocked to fit into their thermal profiles than pay Nvidia's prices.

Besides that, Apple doesn't care about gaming performance. AMD is a lot better at compute tasks than at gaming.

Let's say Nvidia does release Pascal drivers. Would they be compatible with Yosemite, or would we need Sierra to run them?

I agree, but history says otherwise. For the past two years or so ever since Nvidia launched Maxwell Nvidia have enjoyed a big lead here. Apple haven't used Nvidia at all during this time either, so I wouldn't count on performance alone forcing Apple to switch.

If performance and power efficiency were such a high priority for Apple, the 5K iMac should have shipped with an Nvidia Maxwell GPU, especially with so many pixels to drive. Instead we got inferior AMD options.

Apples past actions suggest they are happy with what they believe is "good enough", and it seems that the business case for sticking with AMD has to have outweighed the performance advantages to them. At any rate, Polaris at least helps AMD catch up a bit on the efficiency side thanks to the die shrink.

Given Nvidia's price increases in the consumer side, it doesn't seem a stretch to imagine they've raised prices for their big business customers like Apple too. I bet price is the real reason AMD keeps getting design wins at Apple. Price plus "good enough" (emphasis on air quotes here...) will probably always trump concerns about performance per watt/heat.

Last edited:
Let's say Nvidia does release Pascal drivers. Would they be compatible with Yosemite, or would we need Sierra to run them?
Sierra only. Nvidia never back ported any drivers, so it's unlikely they'll start now. Current Sierra WebDrivers are already based on a way more recent build than El Capitan or Yosemite drivers.

Apple cares about price way more than anything else. They rather sell yesterday's tech downclocked to fit into their thermal profiles than pay Nvidia's prices.

Besides that, Apple doesn't care about gaming performance. AMD is a lot better at compute tasks than at gaming.

This. Exactly this.

OpenCL performance with AMD is much better than nVidia.

But I do hope Metal changes that (since it seems to be closely related to Vulkan). Not for the sake of games, but for the sake of GPU accelerated applications like Adobe apps and FCPX and DaVinci Resolve.

:D You are totally right that Apple has prioritized its profit margin over its products performance in the past several years. But I am rally hoping that the current GTX 10xx could change Apple's mind for the reason of power efficiency. Maybe Nvidia would lower their pricing for bulk order?

Yeah, I am also aware that Apple also does not care about gaming power and it leans more to video editing / 3d areas, but doesn't Nvidia Quadro now has better performance (with better power efficiency) than AMD Fury Pro?

Apple cares about Compute / Open CL. This is what apple uses graphics cards for. Here AMD doesn't have lower performance per watt. Apps like FCPX massively favour AMD cards. Even low'ish end AMD cards out perform highend Nvidia cards here.

Yes this will upset the dual booters who also want to 'game' in windows. But Apple really doesn't cater to gamers, and any gamer here should already know this. If Apple went with Nvidia over AMD and sacrificed it's performance in Apps like FCPX just to appease a practically none existent market, they would be idiots. This should be obvious.

Still.. hoping Nvidia release pascal drivers, so I can see if these 10 series cards can still compete with something like a RX480 in FCPX.

Apple cares about Compute / Open CL. This is what apple uses graphics cards for.
Apple doesn't care about OpenCL anymore because they radically changed the strategy a couple of years ago. While Jobs was alive, Apple certainly was a key player in helping stablish standards such as OpenGL and OpenCL. But now they sadly switched to closed proprietary APIs. Forget Vulkan (this is funny, as AMD is the strongest pusher behind Vulkan, while Apple is miserably ignoring it). Forget OpenCL evolution (no visual OpenCL debuggers, not even for AMD GPUs on Macs). And yes, welcome Metal, Swift, and all other future Apple technologies, designed with similar objectives as Microsoft in their worst shameful years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back