Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to build my first Hackintosh. I'm not yet sure if I will get a 1060 or a 960 (gaming, mostly in Windows, is a major reason I'm building it). It depends on price.

However, since 1000-series cards aren't in the buyer's guide yet (for obvious reasons), I'm left wondering how I would know which one to choose? Will I be fine (once drivers are released) with any MSi/Gigabyte? Or should I stick to certain cards?

No one can make a reliable forecast yet. If history repeats (and we actually receive Pascal support one day) almost any vendor specific model will work. Reference models are usually the safest bet.

Personally I wouldn't make my build decision depending on hypothetical macOS support. I'd either get a supported GPU (GTX 970, 980, maybe used) or any GPU.

I'm about to build my first Hackintosh. I'm not yet sure if I will get a 1060 or a 960 (gaming, mostly in Windows, is a major reason I'm building it). It depends on price.

However, since 1000-series cards aren't in the buyer's guide yet (for obvious reasons), I'm left wondering how I would know which one to choose? Will I be fine (once drivers are released) with any MSi/Gigabyte? Or should I stick to certain cards?

Hackintosh works fine for me:
msi gaming m5
intel i7 6700k
gtx 1080 (works but without acceleration)
32gb ddr4 (only 16 used by OS X)
256gb sdd/1tb hdd
corsair h105 watercooling

No one can make a reliable forecast yet. If history repeats (and we actually receive Pascal support one day) almost any vendor specific model will work. Reference models are usually the safest bet.

Personally I wouldn't make my build decision depending on hypothetical macOS support. I'd either get a supported GPU (GTX 970, 980, maybe used) or any GPU.
That makes sense. Honestly I don't care much about card support mac side. I'd be fine with integrated graphics only mac side, except my monitor has one DVI port and one VGA port.

On the other hand, if I'm buying a card anyway, I might as well max out my odds f compatibility. Locally EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte are the main brands available anyway. (Besides Asus and Acer for the components they make.)

Graphics drivers are integrated so deeply into the system that they're usually not binary compatible with other major releases.

This is what I did. I got the GTX 970 (the smaller one with one fan). But you can get the GTX 950 for about $100 on Amazon right now. That isn't a speed demon, but for better graphics/photoshop/basic gaming needs its a deal until the 10 series cards are compatible.

Hey all, first time posting and just wanted to say how great its been to have this website as a resource over the last few months. Ive been lurking around keeping an eye on this 1080 thread, waiting and hoping for the cards to be supported so I can run out and buy one. Im just struggling with some GPU issues that I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on while we wait, and maybe let me know if in your experiences it would just be worth me shelling out for the 980 or something similar if the 1080 is likely to be the same price and not give me a performance boost.

My machine:
El Capitain
Mac Pro 5.1, 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB RAM
GPU NVIDIA QUADRO 4000

I work a lot in Premiere Pro and AE and even with the cuda option enabled in these programs, my machine just falls apart working with multicam or 4K video. Looking at Activity Monitor I can see the GPU is doing all the heavy lifting so Im suspicious that there is just a real incompatibility with my build or version of the OS and that card (NVIDIA Driver Manager tells me Im up to date). I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with the Quadro and if so, what card did you go to that fixed the problem? Would hate to drop all the cash on an upgrade and discover that it was something else. Also Im based in Australia so any and all purchases will see me getting slugged by the exchange rate and shipping (and we cant buy through Amazon which is a shame) so Im trying to be careful with my purchase.

Finally if anyone has had similar experiences and thinks I should just hit the 980 and quit waiting around for the 1080 Id be keen to know. Im not gaming, or running other operating systems on the machine, but Id assumed I should wait until the top of the line card comes out and that seems to be the 1080. However I could be on the wrong track if its performance wont be geared towards things like Premiere, AE etc (dont know much about Pascal and if I should be futureproofing myself by being on board with it.)

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum, feel free to move me elsewhere, just seemed like the crew that knows the most about this sort of things might be keeping an eye on this thread and might feel like sharing some of their insight.

Cheers
Dave

Sorry for offtopic but: Why? I have 32 gb DDR3 and OS X uses all of it. Is it because DDR4??

I have 64GB (max on the Gene VIII) and OSX is fine and uses it all.

Hey all, first time posting and just wanted to say how great its been to have this website as a resource over the last few months. Ive been lurking around keeping an eye on this 1080 thread, waiting and hoping for the cards to be supported so I can run out and buy one. Im just struggling with some GPU issues that I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on while we wait, and maybe let me know if in your experiences it would just be worth me shelling out for the 980 or something similar if the 1080 is likely to be the same price and not give me a performance boost.

My machine:
El Capitain
Mac Pro 5.1, 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB RAM
GPU NVIDIA QUADRO 4000

I work a lot in Premiere Pro and AE and even with the cuda option enabled in these programs, my machine just falls apart working with multicam or 4K video. Looking at Activity Monitor I can see the GPU is doing all the heavy lifting so Im suspicious that there is just a real incompatibility with my build or version of the OS and that card (NVIDIA Driver Manager tells me Im up to date). I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with the Quadro and if so, what card did you go to that fixed the problem? Would hate to drop all the cash on an upgrade and discover that it was something else. Also Im based in Australia so any and all purchases will see me getting slugged by the exchange rate and shipping (and we cant buy through Amazon which is a shame) so Im trying to be careful with my purchase.

Finally if anyone has had similar experiences and thinks I should just hit the 980 and quit waiting around for the 1080 Id be keen to know. Im not gaming, or running other operating systems on the machine, but Id assumed I should wait until the top of the line card comes out and that seems to be the 1080. However I could be on the wrong track if its performance wont be geared towards things like Premiere, AE etc (dont know much about Pascal and if I should be futureproofing myself by being on board with it.)

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum, feel free to move me elsewhere, just seemed like the crew that knows the most about this sort of things might be keeping an eye on this thread and might feel like sharing some of their insight.

Cheers
Dave

I think you're better off getting a used GTX980TI (my friend bought a perfectly mint one for $280 recently).

As much as we hope the GTX1080 support is coming in the next month or two, if you really need CUDA support right now, get the above.

I'm also waiting patiently because I also need CUDA support under OS X, but I'm ok for now with using the Intel GPU.

i just bought a cheap ATI card I know would work out of the box (7850) and run that alongside my Nvidia card until the drivers come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back