Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
CUDA on the other hand doesn't look too impressive, 1080 gets beaten by the old 980Ti in most benchmarks: http://barefeats.com/cmp_pascal.html
GTX 1080 OpenCL performance is below RX 480.
The only unexpected numbers there are from the 1080. On the other hand, the 1080-Ti is getting a similar LuxMark score as the Pascal Titan X scores from the LuxMark site (22335 vs 24536), which is a really *great* score, specially if you consider that the Titan X score was obtained in Windows, whose OpenCL drivers tend to be more optimized than the rest of platforms.

There's definitely something very weird with the 1080 in the benchmarks from that page. The 1080-Ti gets the expected results, though.

BTW: Too bad they only tested the simple Luxball scene! The test deserved the other more complex scenes!

The only unexpected numbers there are from the 1080. On the other hand, the 1080-Ti is getting a similar LuxMark score as the Pascal Titan X scores from the LuxMark site (22335 vs 24536), which is a really *great* score, specially if you consider that the Titan X score was obtained in Windows, whose OpenCL drivers tend to be more optimized than the rest of platforms.

There's definitely something very weird with the 1080 in the benchmarks from that page. The 1080-Ti gets the expected results, though.

BTW: Too bad they only tested the simple Luxball scene! The test deserved the other more complex scenes!

Seems to match around my GTX 1080. Super weird. seems like the 1080 isn't performing up to par. what is also weird, is the GTX 1070 score higher than GTX 1080 in benches as well.

attached below are my GTX 1080 benches.

Attachments

• GKcS0es.png
    GKcS0es.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 252
  • QjxtNxi.png
    QjxtNxi.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 263
  • TjscwHK.png
    TjscwHK.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 236
In OS X the WebDrivers will enable PCIE 2.0 in MacPro4,1 & 5,1. In Windows it'll be limited to PCIE 1.1 speed unless it's flashed.

Ah thanks for the clarification... I had it the other way around! Thankfully based on some benchmarks I found, a 1060 shouldn't be bottlenecked at 16x PCIe 1.1.

The speed (either 2.5 GT/s or 5 GT/s or 8 GT/s) is listed in the PCI section, but only if your DSDT has the changes that indicate the PCIe slot devices. And anyway, the graphics card may idle at 2.5 GT/s and then speed up when doing rendering, so in that case you need to read the actual PCIe status register while doing rendering to get the speed. In mac OS, you would use lspci to dump the registers while the card is doing 3d work, find the register value, and interpret the bit fields using the PCI specification. In Windows, you would use GPU-Z, click the "?" icon to start a rendering test, which should cause the speed to inrease from the idle value to the full speed value.

Thanks for this info! I didn't realize the link speed can change depending on utilization.

I'm not sure as to what else I can do to proceed further. Attached is a screenshot of my current situation involving my problem attempting to enable Pascal drivers. I already updated to 10.12.4 with the latest version of Clover r4049 and installed the Pascal drivers while my GPU (GTX 1070) input is HDMI. In my config.plist, NvidiaWeb=True and Graphics/Inject/Nvidia=False (as well as Intel/AMD). Each time after I change to the Webdriver from the NVIDIA preference panel and restart, it reverts back to the OS X Default drivers. And for the record, if you're wondering, I've already tried implementing the solution for Problem 6 which requires installing EmuVariableUefi-64 via Clover which causes my system not to boot each time so I have to use my USB boot disk to access 10.12.4 to delete it from the EFI 'drivers' folder. And after doing this test as described here, I concluded my system has working hardware NVRAM which is the reason why it will not boot with EmuVariableUefi-64 installed from Clover since there is no need for it. Still no luck. I'm fresh out of ideas and I don't know what else I'm missing. If someone could help me brainstorm some other posibilities to get these Pascal drivers working I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 3.14.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 3.14.50 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 421
Last edited:
NvidiaWeb=True
Try False.

BTW : There is no requirement to host your images / files on third party sites - You may attach them to your posts here.

Try False.

BTW : There is no requirement to host your images / files on third party sites - You may attach them to your posts here.
No, that didn't work. Same result

config.plist

At a guess this is not the config.plist that you are booting from.
I have changed the mode from normal to verbose as an easy way to check - If it doesn't boot verbose then you are not using this file.
Also try disconnecting the other five disks while you test.

Procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - PEG as Primary
Boot with nv_disable=1
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6 - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.2 KB · Views: 257
At a guess this is not the config.plist that you are booting from.
I have changed the mode from normal to verbose as an easy way to check - If it doesn't boot verbose then you are not using this file.
Also try disconnecting the other five disks while you test.

Procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - PEG as Primary
Boot with nv_disable=1
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6 - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist
I plugged in your config.plist into my EFI folder but got the same result after restart when I attempted to enable Web drivers. The 2 windows disks (Win10 & Win7) have already been disconnected in order for me to narrow down the culprit and prevent any interference. However, the 2 other OS X disks (Mavs, Yose, & El Cap) are partitions that are a part of the same disk Sierra is installed on which don't have any bearing during my test. Regarding your procedural list, the last step which involves implementing the solution for Problem 6 causes my system not to boot after the bootloader menu which I mentioned I have already attempted this step before with no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back