Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man. That stinks. I just went through the whole thread hoping there would be some magic in here that would help me with my video card dilemma. I bought the 1070 Strix ROG card and I really love it, but the whole driver issue is a real pain. I'm holding off on the whole Hackintosh push until I find a solution. I may sell it and and buy a 980Ti. Undecided....
Yea, I did the same a few times, hoping there would be a solution, but alas. You could just run off of the integrated gfx while you wait hoping for drivers. I'm using a friends old 290 while i wait.

Yea, I did the same a few times, hoping there would be a solution, but alas. You could just run off of the integrated gfx while you wait hoping for drivers. I'm using a friends old 290 while i wait.

I also build my first PCs in years and bought a MSI 1080 Seeheawk.... really love the performance in Windows but I'm used to having OSX as my main os for daily office work. How is your experience with a second GPU installed?

As far as I am concerned - the wait is over.

I got a great bargain on my HD 7770 and got rid of it. My 1070 is cool and quiet and I am staying on Windows for the time being. If Pascal drivers are never to come about - so be it. Maybe I can switch to Vega if it ever gets supported - got my eye on a FreeSync monitor anyway - don't care about GSync enough to put 100 quid on top of the price.

I guess after 154 pages I'll still be checking in on the thread, but for now - OSX is on the shelf. .. literally - backed up on a drive on the shelf :D

I also build my first PCs in years and bought a MSI 1080 Seeheawk.... really love the performance in Windows but I'm used to having OSX as my main os for daily office work. How is your experience with a second GPU installed?
I haven't really done any work on it yet. But because I have the nVidia in the first slot it gets the x16 speeds, and the AMD one only gets x4, and when I boot my computer I will only get output display for bios and such though the nVidia and the integrated, but since I have clover just auto boot whatever I had up last I just wait it out. So there is a performance hit, and a little inconvenience when starting the computer, also, macOS wants to believe there is a 3rd screen when there isn't and I have to manually disable it.

It's the EVGA B-stock card (aka refurbished). They have a sale quite often so I check it out from time to time.
Actually they also have a 980Ti FTW for $299 now. This is as good as it can be for a supported card with a decent price.
http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4996-RX

Thanks for the tip about the B-Stock 980ti FTW! I was looking at getting one on eBay, but for the same price I purchased one of the refurbished models that comes with a one year warranty. If and when the drivers are released I'll just sell that and upgrade to a 1080 or 1080ti.

Hi, I have gtx 1060. I am a little tired of waiting pascal driver, and I want to ask you about what should I buy. Nvidia gtx 980 or radeon RX480?

What do you plan to do with it?

If you can find a B-Stock (ie Refurbished) 980Ti for $299 and less, go for it. RX480 8GB is around $239~.

I was able to snag 980Ti FTW's from EVGA for $269 each (2x) (after rebate).

RX480 should have similar performance as the 1060/1050.

I think this is what Apple wants -- they want the Hackintosh community to disappear for good >:

I hate you Tim.

Can you SLI in Mac OSX?

I have not seen a guide for this or any support documentation.

If it is possible can you provide me some links please?

Thank you!

Did the same here.

Just SLI an exact card if you really want Titan X Pascal performance.

A single 1080 is only 10-15% faster than a 980Ti. The 1080Ti is the true successor to the 980Ti.

The 1080 is just a more efficient card, which means better TDP/Thermals and has a few new features that will be used in games in a year or two.

Once the 1080Ti comes, 1080 prices will come down and 980Ti is pretty much end of life right now, but still a beastly card, it's just that it runs REALLY hot unless you water cool it (I'm in the process of doing that in the next few weeks since I'm doing SLI as well, but for now using a single 980Ti since my case is mATX and the fans run like a jet engine).

I feel sad, the 1080 FTW edition is beautiful and beastly card, but have to be pragmatic. Hopefully when Vega comes out, we can get it working on the Hackintosh side with Apple drivers and we won't be a lost cause.

Can you SLI in Mac OSX?

No. However, Apple allows multiple GPUs to be use without the bridge connectors being required. If you dual boot with Windows then leave the bridge connectors in place. macOS will continue to run just fine whether bridge connectors are fitted between cards or not. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back