Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably, We are about to have an interesting release from AMD next year that could make things competitive again for both NVidia and Intel. Who knows maybe we see an update then to attract attention.

Workstation support is kind of a different animal though so who knows.

What's funny is that they're even updating 10.11.6 El Cap drivers.

After the last Security Update from Apple 2 days ago, nVidia updated the drivers within 36 hours....so they have people working on Macs for sure...and they probably love macOS, just that they're limited by how Apple handles the pro-line.

Probably, We are about to have an interesting release from AMD next year that could make things competitive again for both NVidia and Intel. Who knows maybe we see an update then to attract attention.

Workstation support is kind of a different animal though so who knows.

I think the fight on this forum and others is mid-to high end GPUs, not mobile devices.

Intel's whole deal is low powered devices, they're not really competing with nVidia. They are however competing with AMD a bit in the lower TDP arena.

Drivers are hard to get right in a short amount of time. It seems completely reasonable to me that nvidia would keep their mac driver support "warm" in case they do score a design win from Apple in the future.

It's a modest cost to keep a dev team working on the mac drivers but it's probably a lot less than the cost of losing a contract. Needing to hire a team and resurrect an old codebase to support OS X would make them uncompetitive in the eyes of Apple.

seems completely reasonable to me that nvidia would keep their mac driver support "warm"
Nvidia uses one code base to support legacy and current products. i.e., Quadro 4000 for Mac. The updates support installed Nvidia products ensuring compatibility with each OS X/macOS Software Update

They care enough to expand 365.15 support to Sierra 10.12.2 which took work on their part, Windows & macOS drivers from Nvidia share the same codebase, it wouldn't have been much more work to move onto 371 and add Pascal support while they were adding support for .2 yet they didn't, they stuck with the exact same version they have released 3 times now.

Personally I think Tim Cook has emailed Jen Shun and said something like "if you ever want to do business with us again I'd be very grateful if you'd stop updating your webdriver package and supporting hackintoshes, please".

There's no reason for Nvidia to not release unless Apple are dangling a carrot in front of them.
Makes zero sense. Apple needs NVIDIA, not the other way around. Secondly, they are still releasing web drivers, and so are still "supporting the hackintosh community", and lastly, merely supporting a product doesnt mean they are "supporting the hackintosh community" as long as there are still real macs that could also use those drivers. The most realistic explanation for why NVIDIA is obviously holding out, is that they want to sell as many of their old 980s as possible. Nobody on windows would buy a 900 series anymore, since they are more expensive and perform worse than the 10 series. The only market now for 900 cards is apple/ hackintosh.

^most places around me are very low on 9 series stock, had to drive across town to pickup the last 970 they had (was a gainward card), everything else was sold out at all their stores as well as online. So I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Still holding on to the 1080FTW despite having dual 980Tis :(

Still some hope :wave::crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back