Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, all of these are "weird/custom" Apple specific things.

I fully agree that "suspend" should work out of the box, and I just tried it and for me it does. I don't have any Apple hardware though. I wonder if that makes any difference.
I wonder if "suspend" functionality varies by brand, since it works on your Asus motherboard, but it doesn't work on asiga's Gigabyte motherboard.

Oh I hear you for sure. I am a veteran of Linux and made everything smooth as silk with my build because I know the little tweaks.

For what it's worth, the 4.4 kernel that is patched with 16.04 is not very SkyLake optimized. You want the 4.8 kernel. The 4.,9 kernel is out but looks like (in my case) broke my keyboard. I have the same issues with the trackpad. Trackpads work that way sadly.

Just to be clear when you do get everything working (and I'm willing to share my experience if you need it) Ubuntu works quite nice.

Feels like that might be another forum however, but maybe it's a good place for people to tune up Ubuntu as a alternative while we wait for support or not on macOS. And I agree, once I can use my video card I'll likely go back to Sierra. Although I tell you I think El Capitan miught be a better OS as I think it run a tad faster on my other Macs than Sierra does.

BTW I attempted a Sierra hack on my 2009 White MacBook and it kills the keyboard and run poorly. Quite funny. I tried Ubuntu on it as well and it runs faster than El Capitan. Hardware support is just great when you get it just right on Linux.

Not my experience. I got a big disappointment with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS this weekend, with a Z170 mobo. As I said here, I just ordered another 512GB SSD for moving my Ubuntu installation from HDD and SDD and using it as my primary OS instead of MacOS. Anyway, rather than moving I did a clean 16.04 LTS install, just to be sure that everything was correct.

Yes, Pascal support is fine on the 375 NVIDIA drivers for Linux. But... neither hibernation nor suspend work (hey!, this is a Z170 desktop, I understand suspend tends to fail in Hackintoshes, but this is Linux!! And it's a Long Term Support released supposedly stable!! And it's running on the currently ubiquitous Z170-based desktop, not a weird/custom hardware laptop!!).

Then we go to the Magic Trackpad: Ooops! My OSX-native bluetooth dongle works fine with Linux, but only if I unplug it and plug it again. It seems to be tied to the last OS that used it. Only unplugging the dongle and plugging it again will make it in Linux. Not to mention that touchegg -a program for multitouch support in Linux- doesn't work out of the box with 16.04: You need custom editing of the X11 config file for it to work.

Now, to active corners. Hmmm... Gnome did have that, didn't it? Cannot find that... search for it... A-ha!! It seems you have to install a tool called Unity Tweaks for active corners to work in Ubuntu... but wait... people say they are unstable in 16.04... I try it, and expose-like active corner seems to work, but the show desktop one works just once, and then never works again.

Then the Apple USB keyboard has two switched keys. That's a bug that I read has been there for several years, and it's not fixed yet. Yes, the Ubuntu official wiki mentions two easy steps for fixing it, which involve some kind of kernel tuning. I apply the steps, and the keyboard is fixed.

Then... I booted back in ElCapitan...

And... well, yes, no Pascal support, and no hibernation/suspend (because it doesn't wake up if you use the HD530). Moreover, I have to hot-plug my second monitor for it to work. But that's it. Everything else works, and even if it's a hackintosh, which you could suspect to be less stable than a Linux stable release, in fact it provides a far more stable experience.

Very disappointed with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. No hibernation is a big annoyance, and it should work out of the box in a Z170 desktop. Other things that should work out of the box and either didn't work, where buggy, or needed command line tweaking, were the active corners, multitouch support, and the Apple USB keyboard, not to mention the great difficulty to pair the Magic Trackpad if you already have it paired with OS X.

Still, I need Pascal for my work, so even if I prefer MacOS, I might need to use Ubuntu. It's my only option (Windows isn't an option for me).

Sierra 10.12.2 officially released just... Now hurry up with drivers Nvidia

just go with it dude
Nvidia does not release pascal driver

Well... who knows - after tonight, the next iMac or MacBook "Pro"... or even a new Mac Pro could just as easily have an AMD CPU... nVidia might just get left in the dust.

I finally broke down and bought a GTX 980 TI ($300 on craigslist, couldn't refuse). I just can't wait for Apple/Nvidia to get the new Pascal cards working anymore. It's working great with my Apple 30" monitor.
I bet we'll see VEGA drivers before we see PASCAL drivers.

I had a thought - feel free to sanity-check it - back in September, it was advertised that nVidia were looking for devs for macOS. As hiring processes are never fast, plus getting a new employee onboard, etc... considering I'm not sure what else they would be working on aside from drivers, etc... it may be they had some staff turnover and so driver development has been stalled due to that. As it's a niche market, they probably wouldn't divert resources from other teams to cover it off either.

Not to try to bring hope into this - gotta be realistic - but it would explain the absence of Pascal drivers.

I think it was Fl0r!an, who made a very good point:
nVidia did not deliver on 3x 4k Displays over DP1.2 for Apple. Maybe they have tried with new drivers or new development for future GPU iterations and failed. Or negotiations with Apple failed and so they have abandoned the project.

Or it is as you say - they are simply taking their time to hire the best people possible, get through the process of getting them accustomed and used to the way nVidia does things so they can sit down and write appropriate software for us to use.

Me? I am tired of waiting - my GTX 1070 is on the way along with a 250GB SSD for Windows. I'll try to put my HD 7770 in the second PCI-E slot - just to see if the world will catch on fire ;)

What do we post? That we've hackintoshed our computers and now we want drivers for it? :D

Sure sounds good! Embellish a bit about how cool you think NVIDIA and their graphics cards are.

:geek::ugeek::mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back