CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
this makes no sense. Why would they dismiss the hackintosh market just because it is unofficial? It still makes money, and so counts. Are they not a business?
Because Apple doesn't support it and condones it, nVidia can't "support" it.

Once the 5,1 Mac Pro is unsupported, it will get worse for nVidia.

The ONLY thing I see that will be "officially supported" will be the eGPU market -- because eGPU is an official part of Thunderbolt 3.

Motherboard
Gigabyte H370 HD3
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
LC, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
eGPU is our best bet, hopefully 2017 it will take off. Looking at "thewolfe" and it's support for Maxwell, it might take the better part of 2017 for eGPU casings to become relevant enough. They are the best option for pro users and hopefully Mac owners in the need for speed will make their voice heard. Nvidia must be interested in not leaving the field to AMD alone. If they can trigger enthusiasts to opt for exetrnal Nvidia GPUs, this may make Apple reconsider their pro offerings

Motherboard
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I don't even think eGPU will save us here. I think the only saving grace is going to be new Nvidia chips in a new Mac Pro. And I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon. Maybe in a few years... My hope is that the job posting from Nvidia to work with their Apple development team might actually mean something.

If I don't see a driver update next week with 10.12.2 - I'm out. 980Ti's till next-gen AMD cards. I'm over it. I think "giobox" hit the nail on the head (unfortunately)...

EDIT: Maybe on Tuesday during AMD's Zen event we'll see a new GPU that can stack up against the 1080 ;)... But wait the 1080 Ti is gonna be released Q1 of 2017 right? Shoot.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP 14-CE0501NA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
HD 620
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I have been religiously reading this thread for a long time now. I even posted a few times but something has been bothering me for the last few days so here goes:

NVidia did post job offerings for Apple-related work a while ago. That sounds great - but is it really? We have GTX 20x0 cards coming out in the summer of 2017 - so there might be something there? I sure hope so - they are still going to be Pascal based chips, so 10x0 cards might get snuck along. Who knows, right? It might just as well be phony information all together.

Else, that team that has allegedly been put together by NVidia could just as easy be working on the Volta generation coming (probably) in 2018. If you think about it it actually makes sense. Volta is not 100% ruled out to be put in new macs (why not Pro's?) and Apple has a history of wanting things to be perfect ON LAUNCH and not after (though the new MacBook Pro is quite the exception) - so maybe NVidia is working on a project that has to do with Volta GPUs that are still in the pipeline.

Or, as I said - it might be that these "job offerings" are nothing more than a tease someone threw at the internet and watched it burn.
That is just an overview from my perspective on what has been going on around NVidia correlating to Apple.

My personal opinion is that Apple are dropping the ball. Badly. The Mac Pro is about to get 4 years old. I think that says more than enough about what road Apple has chosen. We need to wake up! They clearly do not think the Pro market is one worth pursuing and so they are not.

And it only makes sense - think about it! If you had a Skylake or Kaby Lake Desktop class CPU with interchangeable GPUs why on earth would you buy a laptop to do the work for you?

What you have instead is a laptop with EVERYTHING - yes - EVERYTHING soldiered on. You can't change the CPU, can't change the GPU, can't change the RAM. You can not even swap your SSD. You now can not even take the WiFi card out and swap it for another one. Why would they give us a desktop that can swap desktop-class GPUs?!?!

Moving forward I imagine they will get their own eGPU solution that will cost $1500 or more on the market to solve the issue with awful MacBook graphics and make a little more money on the side.

Or better yet - they could sell "NVidia GTX 10x0 External GPU for Mac" - think about it. A card that costs $399 can easily be sold for $2399! It makes so much more sense that way - you just give us a whole bunch of money so you can just plug it in and that's it!

Same goes for AMD - "AMD RX 580 External GPU for Mac" - $1999. Plug it in and you're good! There. Solved.

Motherboard
Gigabyte z77-ds3h
CPU
Graphics
Gtx 1060 6GB Gainward Phoenix
everyone expecting Apple to do something for the drivers is definitely wrong. they won't do anything. our only hope is Nvidia that could create the drivers for those that use external gpus with osx.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
CPU
i3-7350K OC 4.5GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Classic
Mobile Phone
iOS
With so many deals with AMD right now (for various reasons) it's likely Nvidia will get some competition. Whether the markets are interesting to them is another story. I see two big moves that I believe are shaking things up for them: Intel partnering with AMD for iGPU, Google pushing machine learning with AMD. Less interesting, but still a thing, was the multiple deals with AMD for PS4 and XBOX. That was more related to the SOC concept that Nvidia and Intel can't fulfill.

There is a lot of anger and distrust with Nvidia due to the way they handle business with gaming partners, also their lack of open-source cooperation with the linux community. And lastly the pricing (due to their dominance.) You can be smug for so long and it catches up. This might be their time. We shall see.

I (personally) believe the Apple side is done with Nvidia. I jumped on the 1080 for the machine learning side and compute performance compared to what is available now on AMD. Mac Pros don't cut it for this (I own a beastly one and know from experience.)

So depending on your workload I'd only consider Nvidia if you need it for high-end work that you can use in Linux. Gaming is another thing, otherwise go with a supported AMD card in macOS.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
CPU
Intel i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 970
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
this makes no sense. Why would they dismiss the hackintosh market just because it is unofficial? It still makes money, and so counts. Are they not a business?
Does it make money though? None of us can say for sure. If I had to bet, I'd be putting money on Hackintosh GPU sales being so small it can't possibly make back the investment in engineering and QA resources a driver needs. Even with a small team, this will easily run to hundreds of thousands of dollars (check glassdoor salaries for good software/QA engs in the Bay Area if you aren't familiar - not a cheap resource). More, if it did make back the investment, maybe we would have actually got the driver already.

As I said, now that Sierra supports so few real Macs that have a slot for a GPU upgrade, that market is even smaller. Unless external GPUs really take off, I don't think the incentive is there. I really want this driver too, but you need to look from perspective of product management at Nvidia. In that position I wouldn't want the support burden of a driver that earns little or no money when those engineers could be better used elsewhere in the business.

Our only real hope is that Nvidia get a design win on an iMac/Mac Pro model and therefore Nvidia have a financial incentive to work on a driver, or the TB3 eGPU market starts showing some signs of life.

Last edited:

XQC

Motherboard
GA Z170 UD3
CPU
i7 6770K
Graphics
AMD RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Does it make money though? None of us can say for sure. If I had to bet, I'd be putting money on Hackintosh GPU sales being so small it can't possibly make back the investment in engineering and QA resources a driver needs.
True. On the other hand, there are Pascal drivers even for FreeBSD and Solaris... like, come on Nvidia.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-4790K, i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970, GTX 1060
Wow, 142 pages of nothing but speculations and moaning. What's the point? It's obvious the real culprit are greedy Apple executives who have long only been interested in making as much money as they can and of course pandering to minorities (except for professionals, sadly).

XQC put it quite well: there are Pascal drivers even for FreeBSD and Solaris, ffs! As if those were huge markets, lol… It's obviously not the cost and it's not like NVIDIA refuse to make the drivers—it's Apple prohibiting them from effectively supporting unlicensed OS X usage which negatively impacts their hardware sales (which however isn't true, just like with piracy—people won't buy it either way) if they want to compete with AMD as their supplier in the future. NVIDIA stay silent because they want customers to buy their cards and we continue to hope that basic human decency that makes great open source projects possible somehow exists in the corporate sphere but guess what—it doesn't! These people aren't going to give you anything for free so unless you can throw a few millions at their faces or they can make money out of pretended philanthropy, don't expect any favours, suck it up, and get used to Linux, because that's what I'm going to do (and without a new NVIDIA card just as my last sulky middle finger to both of them).

I should also point out that Apple has become a greedy SJW-infested corporation which no longer cares about producing cutting-edge products with great user experience. No, they are only interested in selling expensive phones and watches to gullible masses who spend hundreds of pounds on a new iPhone even if they can hardly pay they rent, updating their operating systems with new SJW-compliant emoji, and making their outdated and overly expensive hardware as difficult to upgrade or repair as possible while of course neglecting the Pro line entirely. Marketing MacBook Pros with a touch bar with emoji… What a flipping joke! :D

Save yourselves the trouble and move on. If the support eventually comes, fair enough, if it doesn't, you won't be disappointed.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Apple's main source of income is iOS devices. This isn't Steve Job's Apple anymore.

Also macOS is NOT an open-source operating system like FreeBSD & Solaris....even though it uses open-source counterparts. It's a closed system. I'm not making an excuse for them, just saying how the world functions. They could give a rats ass about 5,000 hackintosh users, when they can get money from 5 million Starbucks loving students who want to buy the TouchBar based MacBook Pro to write their failing movie scripts.

My peers in this business are flying to Windows (even though they hate it). I will kill myself before I go Windows full time.

Last edited: