Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add, I'm more interested in deep learning with Tensorflow. I'm already running mint Linux with a Mac-like theme. I have a 1080 on it's way and will likely move over to linux on all systems (5.1 Pro included) till supported. For what it's worth, these z170 systems work remarkably better under linux than MacOS. If only Linux didn't have such poor UI integration with apps.

It's ironic how the little stuff in MacOS is so much better it makes running linux slightly quirky. Hard to describe.

@thedocbwarren I am in a similar situation; normally I'd send you a PM but this Forum doesn't allow that so I did the next best thing to avoid being off-topic on this thread: created my own. If you have the time, I'd be curious to read about your experience over there!

For what it's worth I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with the GTX-1080 and it's the bollocks!

Apple's main source of income is iOS devices. This isn't Steve Job's Apple anymore.

Also macOS is NOT an open-source operating system like FreeBSD & Solaris....even though it uses open-source counterparts. It's a closed system. I'm not making an excuse for them, just saying how the world functions. They could give a rats ass about 5,000 hackintosh users, when they can get money from 5 million Starbucks loving students who want to buy the TouchBar based MacBook Pro to write their failing movie scripts.

My peers in this business are flying to Windows (even though they hate it). I will kill myself before I go Windows full time.

They made a few fixes and released 375.20 for Linux. There are some console issues but Macs wouldn't care since it's unused.

Somebody mentioned the other Unix drivers and I think, frankly, they support them because workstations would use them but also it's closer in tech to Linux and might be a bit easier to port. Guessing of course.

The Linux community hates the drivers but they perform very well. I did a compile of ffmpeg yesterday and ran a hardware-enabled encode in h265 of a movie. Took less than a minute (17 minutes on CPU) and my card's fan never started Mind blown.

Really what we want is 375.10. That includes the 1050 Ti etc... That would also be the next logical upgrade for Nvidia to make.

Very optimistic - unfortunately at this point, I'm beyond this form of optimism.

[...] For what it's worth, these z170 systems work remarkably better under linux than MacOS. If only Linux didn't have such poor UI integration with apps.

It's ironic how the little stuff in MacOS is so much better it makes running linux slightly quirky. Hard to describe.
Not my experience. I got a big disappointment with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS this weekend, with a Z170 mobo. As I said here, I just ordered another 512GB SSD for moving my Ubuntu installation from HDD and SDD and using it as my primary OS instead of MacOS. Anyway, rather than moving I did a clean 16.04 LTS install, just to be sure that everything was correct.

Yes, Pascal support is fine on the 375 NVIDIA drivers for Linux. But... neither hibernation nor suspend work (hey!, this is a Z170 desktop, I understand suspend tends to fail in Hackintoshes, but this is Linux!! And it's a Long Term Support released supposedly stable!! And it's running on the currently ubiquitous Z170-based desktop, not a weird/custom hardware laptop!!).

Then we go to the Magic Trackpad: Ooops! My OSX-native bluetooth dongle works fine with Linux, but only if I unplug it and plug it again. It seems to be tied to the last OS that used it. Only unplugging the dongle and plugging it again will make it in Linux. Not to mention that touchegg -a program for multitouch support in Linux- doesn't work out of the box with 16.04: You need custom editing of the X11 config file for it to work.

Now, to active corners. Hmmm... Gnome did have that, didn't it? Cannot find that... search for it... A-ha!! It seems you have to install a tool called Unity Tweaks for active corners to work in Ubuntu... but wait... people say they are unstable in 16.04... I try it, and expose-like active corner seems to work, but the show desktop one works just once, and then never works again.

Then the Apple USB keyboard has two switched keys. That's a bug that I read has been there for several years, and it's not fixed yet. Yes, the Ubuntu official wiki mentions two easy steps for fixing it, which involve some kind of kernel tuning. I apply the steps, and the keyboard is fixed.

Then... I booted back in ElCapitan...

And... well, yes, no Pascal support, and no hibernation/suspend (because it doesn't wake up if you use the HD530). Moreover, I have to hot-plug my second monitor for it to work. But that's it. Everything else works, and even if it's a hackintosh, which you could suspect to be less stable than a Linux stable release, in fact it provides a far more stable experience.

Very disappointed with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. No hibernation is a big annoyance, and it should work out of the box in a Z170 desktop. Other things that should work out of the box and either didn't work, where buggy, or needed command line tweaking, were the active corners, multitouch support, and the Apple USB keyboard, not to mention the great difficulty to pair the Magic Trackpad if you already have it paired with OS X.

Still, I need Pascal for my work, so even if I prefer MacOS, I might need to use Ubuntu. It's my only option (Windows isn't an option for me).

Then we go to the Magic Trackpad: Ooops! My OSX-native bluetooth dongle works fine with Linux, but only if I unplug it and plug it again. [..]
Now, to active corners. [..] Then the Apple USB keyboard has two switched keys. That's a bug that I read has been there for several years, and it's not fixed yet. Yes, the Ubuntu official wiki mentions two easy steps for fixing it, which involve some kind of kernel tuning. I apply the steps, and the keyboard is fixed. [..] active corners, multitouch support, and the Apple USB keyboard, not to mention the great difficulty to pair the Magic Trackpad if you already have it paired with OS X.

To be fair, all of these are "weird/custom" Apple specific things.

I fully agree that "suspend" should work out of the box, and I just tried it and for me it does. I don't have any Apple hardware though. I wonder if that makes any difference.

To be fair, all of these are "weird/custom" Apple specific things.

I fully agree that "suspend" should work out of the box, and I just tried it and for me it does. I don't have any Apple hardware though. I wonder if that makes any difference.
From what I've found searching, vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Z170 Skylake and with NVIDIA proprietary drivers, means hibernation+suspend don't work. It seems to be caused by a regression in the kernel. But 16.04 LTS was released months ago, and while I can understand that sometimes regressions happen, a crash/freeze when waking up is a critical failure that should have very high priority, and still hasn't been fixed after all these months.

It's not a rant against Linux, just that I was convinced that Linux was going to fix my current discomfort with new Apple strategies, but I just learnt that Linux has the same issues it used to have a decade ago.

From what I've found searching, vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Z170 Skylake and with NVIDIA proprietary drivers, means hibernation+suspend don't work.

That's an interesting point. I did install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers but my monitor was plugged into the HD530 not the GTX 1080 card when I tried suspend.

UPDATE: I tried suspend with the monitor plugged in to the GTX 1080 card and it still works.

Last edited:
Not my experience. I got a big disappointment with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS this weekend, with a Z170 mobo. As I said here, I just ordered another 512GB SSD for moving my Ubuntu installation from HDD and SDD and using it as my primary OS instead of MacOS. Anyway, rather than moving I did a clean 16.04 LTS install, just to be sure that everything was correct.

Yes, Pascal support is fine on the 375 NVIDIA drivers for Linux. But... neither hibernation nor suspend work (hey!, this is a Z170 desktop, I understand suspend tends to fail in Hackintoshes, but this is Linux!! And it's a Long Term Support released supposedly stable!! And it's running on the currently ubiquitous Z170-based desktop, not a weird/custom hardware laptop!!).

Then we go to the Magic Trackpad: Ooops! My OSX-native bluetooth dongle works fine with Linux, but only if I unplug it and plug it again. It seems to be tied to the last OS that used it. Only unplugging the dongle and plugging it again will make it in Linux. Not to mention that touchegg -a program for multitouch support in Linux- doesn't work out of the box with 16.04: You need custom editing of the X11 config file for it to work.

Now, to active corners. Hmmm... Gnome did have that, didn't it? Cannot find that... search for it... A-ha!! It seems you have to install a tool called Unity Tweaks for active corners to work in Ubuntu... but wait... people say they are unstable in 16.04... I try it, and expose-like active corner seems to work, but the show desktop one works just once, and then never works again.

Then the Apple USB keyboard has two switched keys. That's a bug that I read has been there for several years, and it's not fixed yet. Yes, the Ubuntu official wiki mentions two easy steps for fixing it, which involve some kind of kernel tuning. I apply the steps, and the keyboard is fixed.

Then... I booted back in ElCapitan...

And... well, yes, no Pascal support, and no hibernation/suspend (because it doesn't wake up if you use the HD530). Moreover, I have to hot-plug my second monitor for it to work. But that's it. Everything else works, and even if it's a hackintosh, which you could suspect to be less stable than a Linux stable release, in fact it provides a far more stable experience.

Very disappointed with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. No hibernation is a big annoyance, and it should work out of the box in a Z170 desktop. Other things that should work out of the box and either didn't work, where buggy, or needed command line tweaking, were the active corners, multitouch support, and the Apple USB keyboard, not to mention the great difficulty to pair the Magic Trackpad if you already have it paired with OS X.

Still, I need Pascal for my work, so even if I prefer MacOS, I might need to use Ubuntu. It's my only option (Windows isn't an option for me).

Erm.... Welcome to Linux?

EDIT: For what it's worth I will do an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install and share results - only because we share a motherboard type - but I'll do it in a PM, don't want to bring the thread more off-topic than it already is.

For what it's worth I will do an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install and share results - only because we share a motherboard type - but I'll do it in a PM, don't want to bring the thread more off-topic than it already is.

This forum doesn't allow PMs. The best I could think of is to create a new thread like this. Please do post your results (and mention me if you can remember), I am curious as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back