Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next AMD cards *will be* supported, and will be way more powerful than current top Nvidia ones. And they will probably be almost OOB on MacOS.

That depends mostly on the TDP of those cards. If it can't fit in an iMac (and I doubt they'll put Vega in an iMac), Apple won't have to support that. The support of all but one high-end AMD GPUs in the past has been somewhere between "beta level" and "non existent" (Cayman, Hawaii, Fiji). the only excuse is Tahiti, which had an official Mac Edition (that won't happen again) and was fit into the nMP.
If the nMP is dead (and that's what it looks like, with GCN 1.0 GPUs and Ivy Bridge CPUs), AMD high-end cards are dead, either.

Additionally the experience with latest supported AMD GPUs (Tonga & Polaris) is far from "almost OOB".

@"Pascal drivers from Apple"-discussion: We don't need to break any NDA to be sure that Apple won't give us those drivers. If they even go the extra mile to remove Maxwell drivers from OS X, they certainly won't bring us Pascal as christmas present.

"Hey guys, you want to build a machine which outperforms our fastest Mac Pro by 200%? Sure, here you go, we'll help you!"

:lol::lol::lol:

"Hey guys, you want to build a machine which outperforms our fastest Mac Pro by 200%? Sure, here you go, we'll help you!"

I would correct that to

"Hey guys, you want to build a machine which outperforms our fastest Mac Pro by 200% for less than half of the price? Sure, here you go, we'll help you!" :p

I agree that we need to push nVidia... there is also the possibility to add a serie 10 card on the OLD Mac Pro...
And this would also show Apple that the nvidia drivers are GOOD any maybe make them choose nvidia again on next products ?

And this would also show Apple that the nvidia drivers are GOOD any maybe make them choose nvidia again on next products ?

I'm sure Apple knows what Nvidia GPUs can do. Problem is:
  • Apple doesn't care about 3D performance at all
  • AMD delivers much more compute performance per dollar

That looks pretty bad, but just because Apple has shut the door for the time being does not mean that will be the case forever. Again, this could be strategic on Apple's part: a lot of people are buying computers around Xmas and Apple are releasing new iMacs and Mac Pros soon, it would be a bad move to support hardware which would disincentivize purchasing Apple products over building a Hackintosh. I think the Hackintosh community tends to I think the practice is more niche than it really is. Although I have few friends who have built Hackintoshes, most of them have heard about them and several have considered building one.

AMD delivers much more compute performance per dollar
u sure ?
i bougth my 1070
380€
i heard that for about the same performance I would need a R480 crossfire (one some bench it is better, in some the 1070 is still on top but on the average let say they are equivalent)

an R480 cost between 260 and 320€...

so maybe I missed something, but I guess that nvidia was the good choice (but of course i could be wrong)
and for the power consumption, they look equivalent... so in a crossfire config it would cost the double in electricity fee

So... I have a bit of a noob question here. I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered.

Scenario:
I have a dual boot machine, Win10/MacOS, I use my Mac for designing and Win10 for gaming purposes. I have a 960 that I took out to replace with a 1080 around 6 months ago when they released. I got the founder edition by Nvidia. I figured, okay I will just wait to run my Mac boot until update time... nothing so far. Which is fine but now some more design projects are coming and I am need of my Mac software.

Question 1:
Can I have both cards (1080/960) plugged in on my Mobo and PSU plugged into the same monitor but using different outputs (DP,HDMI) then when I switch to my MacOS, switch input on my monitor and have it run off the 960 so there are no flickering. Then reboot select Windows and switch monitor input to run the 1080. If so, how do I tell Mac to run off the 960.

Question 2:
Can I have them both plugged into the Mobo, but then switch the cable back and forth depending on which OS I am booting? Obviously keeping them on different outputs to the monitor and switching the monitor depending on card I want to use.

Thanks so much in advance for any comments, I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
I think the best way to get NVIDIA's attention is to keep posting in their forum- 8 pages now. I spotlighted the link just now on facebook and twitter to see if we can rally more posts.

Register and post here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...can-we-expect-supported-drivers-for-macos-/8/

https://www.facebook.com/tonymacx86/posts/1225729354164367
https://twitter.com/tonymacx86/status/804495188152332288
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100821890176638468121/posts/gjhWhuegw2u?sfc=true

Hi Tony. Ive just made an account and I've also made a comment. Ive also shared you're post on Facebook and on Twitter :) Ive got my eye on the 1070 ITX which i like so I'm hoping Nvidia will release drivers soon so i can make my purchase :D

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 00.40.37.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back