Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's never going to be an "open source driver" for MacOS, because:
- No one cares about hackintoshers
- It's not as easy as writing a direct draw & D3D driver, the entire interface in MacOS is rendered with Metal. Do you know what Metal is, even? Well, most "devs" don't.
- Only large groups of developers with all possible cards and variants can issue a good driver that will perform as it should. Would you install a 1080 driver that performs less than a 950? I wouldn't.
As I said a million times, it's up either to Nvidia, who still has some interest in it for eGPU users, and Apple, who doesn't give a flying damn about it and produces iMacs with 5K screens and laptop class 2 year old AMD GPUs... That says a lot.

I know what metal is. I feel your frustration and share it, believe me.

Just to be clear I meant darwin not MacOS. MacOS is closed source, darwin is opensource. I agree that Apple isn't very interested in new tech. Tim has said he cares more for the experience. It's a theoretical discussion the idea a driver could exist in opensource or third-party as it's been done before... on linux. Anyway I agree it's a non-starter and not really more than the irony I mentioned.

The more I think about the situation as a whole, I really think the desktop's days are numbered. Although it's hard to think how to proceed as a dev box on MacOS and keep up. I could see the scenario of using a kind of model used in the past, client server approach. Use the Mac to work with server-tier systems or workstations remotely perhaps. Or an iPad as I'm convinced we will be doing in the future. I'm convinced even Microsoft is moving that way with the surface. No more desktops basically.

I think while the Intel move for Apple worked well in the short term for performance gains, I think its now regretted and maybe the approach is to move to ARM when they can.

Only time will tell.

As for NVIDIA, I can't see any real reason they would proceed as even the eGPUs are not really fully supported on Macs. Their market is gaming on the PC (Windows) and some learning workstations (linux mostly.) AMD is all over the map really.

I'll be honest, if the apps were a tad better and I could cure my magic trackpad addiction I'd be on linux and forget about it. It's those gestures and the complete near perfect integration of the system that makes it great. Nobody does it as well.

There's never going to be an "open source driver" for MacOS, because:
- No one cares about hackintoshers
- It's not as easy as writing a direct draw & D3D driver, the entire interface in MacOS is rendered with Metal. Do you know what Metal is, even? Well, most "devs" don't.
- Only large groups of developers with all possible cards and variants can issue a good driver that will perform as it should. Would you install a 1080 driver that performs less than a 950? I wouldn't.
As I said a million times, it's up either to Nvidia, who still has some interest in it for eGPU users, and Apple, who doesn't give a flying damn about it and produces iMacs with 5K screens and laptop class 2 year old AMD GPUs... That says a lot.

eGPU's latest Razer Core via TB3 (USB-C) work with the latest 2016 MacBook Pro with TB3 (USB-C).

It's a small niche market, but it's a market...

That's what I was referring to. I read that somebody had tried and reviewed that.

... after you've done some nasty hacks, because Apple is blocking unapproved TB3 hardware...

For my hack I have the Gigabyte 1080 super something on it's way for Linux. I think reality is we won't see drivers.

In fact, seeing as the site has no mention of MacOS and it's nicely hidden I'm thinking it's really not going to happen in the near future. For me, that would mean giving up on MacOS for learning (unless Google gets AMD to really get their act together) or just find some way to get comfortable in Linux (I'm not really.)

Damn, most people seemed optimistic that drivers would be released. But you're thinking they likely won't? I am now sad.

... after you've done some nasty hacks, because Apple is blocking unapproved TB3 hardware...
Yeah. At least it's not blocked on a hardware level.

Gotta love Apple...that they went out of their way to block devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back