Contribute
Register

Solved Intel HD3000 artifacts on laptops with 2-4-6Gb RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memtest ran fine with the first slot, its working normally, Windows and Linux was stable for years too. But i don't know why it worked normally for months, and why it started suck again...

But if you added RAM, you need to re-test.

Edit: the framebuffer kext (AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB) is changed internally, the old way VRAM size patching won't work (find and replace C745BC00000018) looks like its now C7 45 C4 00 00 00 18.

No need to patch HD3000 VRAM.

But if you added RAM, you need to re-test.

This is the problem, i can't add RAM, because the laptop only starts if RAM is in slot 1. If i move RAM to slot 2, or add another module to slot 2, it won't post, no BIOS, nothing, just black screen with running fan.

This is the problem, i can't add RAM, because the laptop only starts if RAM is in slot 1. If i move RAM to slot 2, or add another module to slot 2, it won't post, no BIOS, nothing, just black screen with running fan.

Time for a new laptop.

Any changes with macOS 10.12 Sierra?

I don't know the 10.11.5 update, or maybe the changed DSDT done the trick,

2Mb GTT size, 32Mb DVMT-Prealloc, 512Mb Aperture size, 256Mb DVMT size. No artifacts since a day with gaming! :)

Hi 11212,

Does the above work for you ? ...... i was running similar settings but have now set them to same as above and will see how long before artifact's come back ... (or not)

Running OSX 10.11.6 on Sandy Bridge i7 Sony Laptop with HD 3000, booting with slide=0

The only issue i have with the system is HD3000 artifacts, when it happens a SMC reset solves the issue for a few days but they always eventually come back.

I haven't tried patching AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB or AppleIntelHD3000Graphics as you suggested on this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-with-2-4-6gb-ram.180671/page-5#post-1286897

Have you managed to resolve the issue ... according to most info here HD3000 artifacts are common and can not be fixed only reduced ....

I suspect like yourself that somewhere along the line a memory threshold is being passed which ultimately causes the artifacts ... would be so good to fix this if at all possible.

I'm injecting correct 1920x1080 EDID and dual link in DSDT using patches from my repo ..

https://github.com/JayMonkey/Sony-S-DSDT-Patches

Cheers
Jay

Hi 11212,

Does the above work for you ? ...... i was running similar settings but have now set them to same as above and will see how long before artifact's come back ... (or not)

Running OSX 10.11.6 on Sandy Bridge i7 Sony Laptop with HD 3000, booting with slide=0

The only issue i have with the system is HD3000 artifacts, when it happens a SMC reset solves the issue for a few days but they always eventually come back.

I haven't tried patching AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB or AppleIntelHD3000Graphics as you suggested on this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-with-2-4-6gb-ram.180671/page-5#post-1286897

Have you managed to resolve the issue ... according to most info here HD3000 artifacts are common and can not be fixed only reduced ....

I suspect like yourself that somewhere along the line a memory threshold is being passed which ultimately causes the artifacts ... would be so good to fix this if at all possible.

I'm injecting correct 1920x1080 EDID and dual link in DSDT using patches from my repo ..

https://github.com/JayMonkey/Sony-S-DSDT-Patches

Cheers
Jay

How much RAM installed? What is RAM module configuration?

That is good.
I'm pretty sure HD3000 platform data assumes 64mb DVMT-prealloc.

Thanks for the info RM,

As mentioned above i've just set my HD3000 BIOS settings to ...

2Mb GTT size
32Mb DVMT-Prealloc
512Mb Aperture size
256Mb DVMT size

But as per your suggestion will change to 64Mb DVMT-Prealloc ...

Any other advice on the other settings ? .... been plagued with 3000HD artifact's for as long as i can remember, every once in a while i spot something on the forum which claims to resolve the issue but so far nothing has .... only a battery removal and SMC reset will get rid of them once they come back ...

Cheers
Jay

Update: Photo of current BIOS settings ...

IMG_0032.jpg

Any more advice ?

Jay

Last edited:
Thanks for the info RM,

As mentioned above i've just set my HD3000 BIOS settings to ...

2Mb GTT size
32Mb DVMT-Prealloc
512Mb Aperture size
256Mb DVMT size

But as per your suggestion will change to 64Mb DVMT-Prealloc ...

Any other advice on the other settings ? .... been plagued with 3000HD artifact's for as long as i can remember, every once in a while i spot something on the forum which claims to resolve the issue but so far nothing has .... only a battery removal and SMC reset will get rid of them once they come back ...

Cheers
Jay

Update: Photo of current BIOS settings ...

View attachment 217289

Any more advice ?

Jay

If you are using patched ACPI files, keep in mind you must re-extract/re-patch after changing BIOS options.
Also, do EC reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back