Contribute
Register

[Solved] High Sierra install crashes about 30 seconds after starting Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a USB to Sata adapter?
If you have the installer downloaded on a working system you can install it on the SSD using adapter. You don’t need a USB stick to install. Just name the target disk something different and make sure to select it when the install on “disk” option shows up. “Show all disks”. It’s easier to install directly to a drive from a working system than using a USB as a go between.
After the install just run clover on disk and adjust settingss. Before you reboot to use as a separate system.

The added benefit of using a usb to Sata adapter is the drive will load in HFS mode which is a lot easier to deal with.
I don't have a USB to SATA adapter (yet). I gather I could accomplish something similar by just installing to an external USB drive, correct? Then booting from that drive on the new system, and eventually cloning to my SSD after everything works. I'll try that tomorrow.

I don't have a USB to SATA adapter (yet). I gather I could accomplish something similar by just install to an external USB drive, correct? Then booting from that drive on the new system, and eventually cloning to my SSD after everything works. I'll try that tomorrow.

Yes, an external drive assembly is the same concept and will have the same result. Just name the fresh disk and install to it and go through the reboots till finished. Then run clover on it and try in new system.

Can you remove the disk from the external drive? If not once loaded you could connect a fresh drive to your system Sata connections and carbon copy cloner it.

21C34C5C-809C-4C66-87C6-41400A8019AF.jpeg
First Saturday update: Installing to fresh partition on external USB drive connected to the Sandy Bridge machine got me here. Restart didn’t help. Research continues.

I'm surprised the build process is so sensitive this time around. My previous builds were done in a couple of days. This is coming up on a week without a successful OS install. I'm wondering if it is due more to Coffee Lake architecture or High Sierra, but seeing as though I can’t get High Sierra going on the Sandy Bridge build either, maybe it's High Sierra. Mulling over signing up for the Mojave public beta and trying that, but I already am feeling a bit on the bleeding edge with The Coffee Lake build, so maybe not.

I appreciate all the suggestions I've gotten here so far. Not ready to give up yet.

View attachment 338457
First Saturday update: Installing to fresh partition on external USB drive connected to the Sandy Bridge machine got me here. Restart didn’t help. Research continues.

I'm surprised the build process is so sensitive this time around. My previous builds were done in a couple of days. This is coming up on a week without a successful OS install. I'm wondering if it is due more to Coffee Lake architecture or High Sierra, but seeing as though I can’t get High Sierra going on the Sandy Bridge build either, maybe it's High Sierra. Mulling over signing up for the Mojave public beta and trying that, but I already am feeling a bit on the bleeding edge with The Coffee Lake build, so maybe not.

I appreciate all the suggestions I've gotten here so far. Not ready to give up yet.

What system definition is on the Sandy Bridge? IMac 14.2 is recommended for most systems.

Try hitting space bar once at boot screen and select verbose and single user follow prompts at root# (fsck -fy) root# (exit).

Also updating clover might help, but be careful there is a new version 4558? that removes aptiofix3 so maybe a slightly older version like 4533 would be better.
Clover EFI bootloader download | SourceForge.net

Currently using Macmini5,1 as that solved a different problem at some point in time. I also still need a clover USB stick to find the High Sierra bootable installs after the reboot. I don’t want to change my working Bootloader on the Sandy Bridge and end up with nothing working.

I will try the “not too updated” Clover with iMac14,2 and the fsck (which I remember from Berkeley Unix on Vaxen in the ‘80s!) as you recommended above.

/
Currently using Macmini5,1 as that solved a different problem at some point in time. I also still need a clover USB stick to find the High Sierra bootable installs after the reboot. I don’t want to change my working Bootloader on the Sandy Bridge and end up with nothing working.

I will try the “not too updated” Clover with iMac14,2 and the fsck (which I remember from Berkeley Unix on Vaxen in the ‘80s!) as you recommended above.

You can load the new clover on the USB stick and new system definition and go to bios and select it as boot option one. That way you don't change your working setup. Also using "safe mode' might help.

AF486D8E-ECC5-477C-B15D-2E499044E465.jpeg

First taste of Success! Used a 2013 MacBook Air to download a fresh copy of High Sierra and install to an external USB drive. Booted with my UEFI usb stick that I’ve been working with this week, then had Clover boot the external USB.

Next, reinstall new WiFi card and download tools. Then, System migration, hopefully.

I’ll keep you all posted!

Thanks again to @Gigamaxx and @P1LGRIM for hanging in to help me get past the installation issue. I'll be working on sound next, but I have a clear display and wifi, booting from my SSD, and 16GB RAM installed (2x8).

For @lmsi57 and others who stumble across this, I've attached my current config.plist and Multibeast configuration. Note that I've ended up with Clover version 4458 (I think that was installed by MultiBeast) and MultiBeast High Sierra Edition version 10.3.0, and I think I now have High Sierra version 10.13.5 installed well enough to continue file migration and system configuration.

The key thing seemed to be that I needed a real Mac to get High Sierra installed properly, first to an external USB hard drive which I then cloned to an internal SSD. I couldn't get High Sierra installed either via USB stick or external USB drive from either of my (admittedly older) Hackintoshes.

I'll start another thread when I find the answer for sound (or if I need help getting it).

Re: Mojave - well, after this experience I can't say I'm in a rush ;)

Attachments

• Z370M-DS3H_configAndMultiBeast.zip
    148.4 KB · Views: 206
I got sound working. Attaching the working config.plist (without a serial number). I used the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/#post-1606764 but had to make sure I had SIP disabled, rebooted, mounted EFI partition, and then ran the audio_clover_ALC command script.

Kext list:
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 1.30.45 PM.png

Last item to work on: higher graphics resolution than 1920x1080, but not 3620 - that's too small.

Attachments

• configNoSerial.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back