Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]Gigabyte 6850 Dual Screens GE=Yes with Duckweed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i try to edit my kext like the examples before. Than i reboot but my hackintosh hangs at the apple screen. So it seem something went wrong with changing the kext. Any ideas how to go back to the old config. Try to boot with the rescue disk bit the appel sreen hang at the same place. Thanks in advance.

MonibAhmed said:
I have dual dvi working on my System. GA-Z68P-UD3H-B3 + Gigabyte HD 6850.

I made a Kext as described here:
http://www.insanelymac_.com/forum/index ... try1807921

Once I compared the Kexts from Alex (in above link) they were about the same. But if you want to make your own Kexts.

Download Hex Fiend and goto line 176800 and replace that line and the 3 below it with this:

Line 176800 -- 04 00 00 00 14 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 06 05
Line 176816 -- 00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 22 05 02 04
Line 176832 -- 00 02 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 02 03 06
Line 176848 -- 00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 00 00 12 04 04 01

Make sure Hex Fiend only display 4 columns of data. So it's easier to compare.

When testing it out, make sure your org.Chameleon.Boot.plist doesn't have any ATI/PCI override. Just GE = YES. Then start adding other options afterwards. Example:

<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>

Gonna go try some benchmarks.

All of this information is from Alex Martinez so thank him.

Monib

I'd just like to say your modified kext works perfectly for my Gigabyte 6850 on 10.7.4!

Many thanks! :)

I have dual dvi working on my System. GA-Z68P-UD3H-B3 + Gigabyte HD 6850.

I made a Kext as described here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1807921

Once I compared the Kexts from Alex (in above link) they were about the same. But if you want to make your own Kexts.

Download Hex Fiend and goto line 176800 and replace that line and the 3 below it with this:

Line 176800 -- 04 00 00 00 14 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 06 05
Line 176816 -- 00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 22 05 02 04
Line 176832 -- 00 02 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 02 03 06
Line 176848 -- 00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 00 00 12 04 04 01

Make sure Hex Fiend only display 4 columns of data. So it's easier to compare.

When testing it out, make sure your org.Chameleon.Boot.plist doesn't have any ATI/PCI override. Just GE = YES. Then start adding other options afterwards. Example:

<dict>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>

Gonna go try some benchmarks.

All of this information is from Alex Martinez so thank him.

Monib

Anyone try this in mountain lion yet? Getting ready to upgrade.

I have it working in Lion with my PowerColor HD6850, but in my Mountain Lion it did not work. It would lock up at the white load screen every time (even with GraphicsEnabler=No. Finally went back to original kext, and am using DVI1 and HDMI. Unfortunately, I lack experience in fixing it.

Interesting. I know there is an issue with installing mountain lion with the 6xxx series cards that requires booting GE = no. Have you tried reinstalling the ktext since successfully installing MT Lion?

Interesting. I know there is an issue with installing mountain lion with the 6xxx series cards that requires booting GE = no. Have you tried reinstalling the ktext since successfully installing MT Lion?
On my initial installation, I removed my HD6850 from the pc and used the built in video. Then after getting as much of the installation working as possible, I reinstalled the card. I then used Kext Wizard to install the kext for the PowerColor HD6850 that worked in Lion. It was a no go even with GE = no, as well as Duckweed, Bulrushes etc. Finally used Kext Wizard to install the backup of the original, and went back to GE=Yes and connecting to DVI1 and HDMI.

On my initial installation, I removed my HD6850 from the pc and used the built in video. Then after getting as much of the installation working as possible, I reinstalled the card. I then used Kext Wizard to install the kext for the PowerColor HD6850 that worked in Lion. It was a no go even with GE = no, as well as Duckweed, Bulrushes etc. Finally used Kext Wizard to install the backup of the original, and went back to GE=Yes and connecting to DVI1 and HDMI.

same issue here. I moved back to lion and will work on editing the mountain lion default one...not sure how good ill be at it but will post if I get it!

I have it working in Lion with my PowerColor HD6850, but in my Mountain Lion it did not work. It would lock up at the white load screen every time (even with GraphicsEnabler=No. Finally went back to original kext, and am using DVI1 and HDMI. Unfortunately, I lack experience in fixing it.

Hey mate, I currently have HDMI working fine and am trying to get a second display up and running. Unfortunately, I only have a VGA monitor on hand, so I have that going into DVI1 using a VGA to DVI adapter - however I can't get it to detect the display. This is my chameleon plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Bulrushes</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>4</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

...and my smbios:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>Mac Pro</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro3,1</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>G88451235J4</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

It seems to be essentially the same as other working HDMI/DVI setups, so I'm wondering if it's the adapter. I don't want to get into editing kexts and all that if it turns out to be just the VGA to DVI adapter, but unfortunately I don't have a DVI display I can test with. Any ideas? Is there a way I can test for working ports without physically plugging in a display? I'm fairly new to all this.

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm encountering the same issue and, with an otherwise (FINALLY) stable set-up, I don't want to screw things up by messing with kexts...

It was the adapter after all - I tried a proper dvi display and it works fine alongside my hdmi display. I know how frustrating it can be to get a fully working setup so I get that you're reluctant about modifying kexts/plists/smbios. Honestly, though, it's worth trying. Just backup any file before editing it, do as much research as you can, change one thing at a time, and be patient. Start with some of the basic flags discussed in this thread and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back