Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]Gigabyte 6850 Dual Screens GE=Yes with Duckweed

Status
Not open for further replies.
MonibAhmed said:
I have dual dvi working on my System. GA-Z68P-UD3H-B3 + Gigabyte HD 6850.

I made a Kext as described here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1807921

Once I compared the Kexts from Alex (in above link) they were about the same. But if you want to make your own Kexts.

Download Hex Fiend and goto line 176800 and replace that line and the 3 below it with this:

Line 176800 -- 04 00 00 00 14 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 06 05
Line 176816 -- 00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 22 05 02 04
Line 176832 -- 00 02 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 02 03 06
Line 176848 -- 00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 00 00 12 04 04 01

Make sure Hex Fiend only display 4 columns of data. So it's easier to compare.

When testing it out, make sure your org.Chameleon.Boot.plist doesn't have any ATI/PCI override. Just GE = YES. Then start adding other options afterwards. Example:

<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>

Gonna go try some benchmarks.

All of this information is from Alex Martinez so thank him.

Monib

Wow man, big thanks! I've been looking for a way to solve a distortion issue that I was getting with my second monitors on gigabyte 6850 when booting. This did the trick! I am running dual DVI and scoring 51 in cinebench!!

Thankss!!!

::SIGH::
So....Unhappy new hackintosher™ here.
I've followed instructions in this thread (and many others) for trying to get my dual monitors to work with GE=Yes to no avail. I wouldn't care except iOS devices are ignored and don't even charge with GE=No.
I read somewhere here it works with DVI & HDMI so I bought an HDMI cable; No dice.
Then I read it works with the display port so I bought a display port>hdmi converter; Still no dice.
With the display port the OS thinks there's a monitor plugged in (resolution now shows "1080p" etc) but I get nothing, not even command line text pre boot.
My org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like this:
Code:
	<string>Yes</string>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>4</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
Also tried it with "Bulrushes"
Any help here? Feeling a little frazzled by the whole thing.

Wheatley said:
::SIGH::
So....Unhappy new hackintosher™ here.
I've followed instructions in this thread (and many others) for trying to get my dual monitors to work with GE=Yes to no avail. I wouldn't care except iOS devices are ignored and don't even charge with GE=No.
I read somewhere here it works with DVI & HDMI so I bought an HDMI cable; No dice.
Then I read it works with the display port so I bought a display port>hdmi converter; Still no dice.
With the display port the OS thinks there's a monitor plugged in (resolution now shows "1080p" etc) but I get nothing, not even command line text pre boot.
My org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like this:
Code:
	<string>Yes</string>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>4</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
Also tried it with "Bulrushes"
Any help here? Feeling a little frazzled by the whole thing.
What brand is your card? What System Definiton have you currently installed?

For my Gigabyte 6850 OC the following works @32bit-boot;

• GraphicsEnabler=Yes
• AtiConfig=Bulrushes
• AtiPorts=4
• Darkwake=0
• npci=0x2000

Re: [SOLVED]Gigabyte 6850 Dual Screens GE=Yes withOUT Duckweed

MonibAhmed said:
All of this information is from Alex Martinez so thank him.

Monib

Well, thanks to you to for making the changes in the kext and uploading it... worked like a charm on my system... finally I can use Ableton Live on dual monitors again!

[Edit]

The thread title should read - NOT [SOLVED]Gigabyte 6850 Dual Screens GE=Yes withOUT Duckweed or any other override.

Duckweed did NOT work on my Gigabyte 6850 1GB OC card... so if you have this card and are having frame buffer issues and want dual monitors, use Monib's ATI6000 kext

Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 2.19.48 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-05-17 at 2.20.09 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 2.20.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 2.20.09 PM.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 337
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 2.19.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 2.19.48 PM.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 293
My setup has been working great for a few months now. I agree the thread should name should be changed.

EDIT To include Powercolor kext, see below.

I have been following this topic for awhile now and can see that with a bit of organization and teamwork we could have a more organized database for the different kext patches.

Clearly the different vendors of the 6850 are all a little different (XFX, Sapphire, Powercolor etc) so we need a database of patched kexts for each one.

I can contribute the kext for the Powercolor version. Also it makes sense to only try to support 10.7.3, as (for me at least) SL was a nightmare to get anything working.

Obviously a custom personality is needed so most people opt to hijack the Duckweed personality. I'm going to try doing the same on my build, and then verify that everything is working in all possible combinations, and benchmarks are as high as they would be expected to be.

If anyone wants to help out with this and save other people with the same cards a lot of frustration then say what kind of 6850 you have and we can get started. It would be good to start by reading that long post at InsanelyMac to get an idea of how to do hex editing on the kext and make sure you have a dual boot with Windows so you can get the GPU bios information so you can be sure you're using the right values and not just guessing.

It would be interesting to hear if Alex Martinez's patched kext works on all other XFX 6850s and if it works on any other kind of 6850. I should try it on my Powercolor to start.

EDIT: So I was able to get DVI2 working on my Powercolor after modifying two values only from Alex Martinez's file, specifically the transmitter and decoder values that I got from my Bios dump readout. Nobody should expect their connectors do work if the values they have in their ATI6000.kext offset don't match what the Bios dumps show, and, at least in my experience, nobody should expect them to work even if they do match in SL.

For anyone taking a close look at both my files, they should note that between the text and the kext, even though I haven't tested them yet, DisplayPort should work as is, but HDMI shouldn't, because the Transmitter and Receiver IDs don't yet match. I made those fixes on a new file for when I can get the cables, and will check back here and upload a new kext if I can get them both working, as well as checking various 2 and 3-way monitor combinations.

Hopefully we can make it easier for other people to patch for their cards. For example here's my file that had the key info from the two bios dumps (there was useful things from both).

Attachments

• ATI6000Controller[PowerColorHD6850DVI2].kext.zip
    232.4 KB · Views: 74
  • BIOS_INFO.rtf
    600 bytes · Views: 324
I am going to build my first hackintosh using this card.
Can anybody confirm which ports is working? From what I know the second DVI is not working. Does HDMI and DVI work? Or do I have to go with DVI and DisplayPort?

You really can get them all working if you're willing to do a little kext hacking, I'm going to finish my hack today I think, and post another guide to complement Alex Martinez's guide.

The first step is setting up a dual boot with Windows on the same PC to get the bios dumps. I'm curious if two people with the same brand and model card would get exactly the same dump. If so then for sure there only needs to be one patched kext per brand/model.

I could have swore I saw a kext for the gigabyte card already. Did you try one that was for the exact same brand card RP?

theapplelover said:
I am going to build my first hackintosh using this card.
Can anybody confirm which ports is working? From what I know the second DVI is not working. Does HDMI and DVI work? Or do I have to go with DVI and DisplayPort?
Never mind, I figured this out.

UPDATE: Powercolor HD6850 possibly fully working kext attached to this message.

ReformedPirate said:
lunar7 said:
You really can get them all working if you're willing to do a little kext hacking, I'm going to finish my hack today I think, and post another guide to complement Alex Martinez's guide.

The first step is setting up a dual boot with Windows on the same PC to get the bios dumps. I'm curious if two people with the same brand and model card would get exactly the same dump. If so then for sure there only needs to be one patched kext per brand/model.

I could have swore I saw a kext for the gigabyte card already. Did you try one that was for the exact same brand card RP?

I've tried every kext that I could find that related to the gigabyte model, but none of them have enabled my second screen using two DVI adapters.

Ok RP then hopefully you can help me answer a question I've been wondering a really long time now. Any chance you can get a dual boot going with Windows if you don't already have one, and do the two GPU Bios dumps explained in Alex Martinez's thread and post what you have?

Then we need to find at least one other person who has the same card to do the same, or find the data from someone who already did.

The question is whether the BIOS dumps will be the same for two people with same brand/model GPU but different machines. I am not sure if the Sense ID/Transmitter/Encoder values are allocated dynamically by something or if they are hardcoded in the factory. Finding this out will answer the question so it will be easier to help people.

Anyways, as promised here is the kext I tested successfully for HDMI. I cannot get three monitors at the same time (trying for DVI/DVI/HDMI->DVI right now), but I read somewhere that for some reason the trick to getting three monitors is to have all four ports plugged into something. I have a DisplayPort cable now I borrowed but nothing to plug it into. I'm going to try to get an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter tomorrow and see if I can test that remaining DisplayPort entry in my Duckweed hack.

Anyways, RP, you should do as much stuff from Alex Martinez's guide as you can and post everything you have, especially the BIOS dumps and your Duckweed values.

EDIT2: Ok I can tell from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46489 the probable and this one http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32192 ... 0-monitors that the reason DVI/DVI/HDMI->DVI doesn't work is because one of the connected displays HAS to be the DisplayPort, looks like HDMI and the DVI2 ports share the same bus so this explains why they switch back and forth when they are hot plugged. Looks like if they are both plugged, HDMI will get priority.

Ok I think I am pretty much done hacking my Powercolor, the last step is to get the DisplayPort to DVI adapter and test the last port and 3-monitor setup, and then do benchmarks. After that I will write a guide.

Attachments

• ATI6000Controller[DVI2HDMIYES+DPORT].kext.zip
    232 KB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back