Contribute
Register

[Solved] GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm running on the previous build that used Clover 48XX. I was getting prohib-on-boot with a scrubbed clean SSD new install of Mojave using the latest Unibeast and Multibeast, so I never got to see if Thunderbolt behaved differently. Only one port works at a time on Alpine Ridge. I've ordered a Titan ridge to replace that card. We'll see how that goes. I'm on F11 #5 -a modded BIOS. But from what I hear, an iMac Pro 1.1 requires turning off iGPU and IDK if that would hose my ability to use FCPX as effectively as the iMac 18,3.

Are you running Mojave with that GTX? Or are you in High Sierra?

Keep in mind my mobo... On my system, Thunderbolt is on RP21.

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 197
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I haven't seen 2 TB ports working on a Hack let alone more. FWIW, on my build with the GC-Alpine Ridge v.2, only Port 1 works. I can only get 2 ports to work if I'm running Windows 10. YMMV.

How did you managed to get both ports working in windows 10 mate?

Already tried different slots in my mobo. I can get both to work but it doesnt stay after boot.

How did you managed to get both ports working in windows 10 mate?

Already tried different slots in my mobo. I can get both to work but it doesnt stay after boot.
I see in your signature that you have an X99-A. Can you be more specific about that model?

Assuming you've already installed the GC-Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge driver in Windows 10: In Windows, at the bottom right of the Toolbar, you'll see a little blue Thunderbolt icon. When you click on that, it should open a tiny device list and there will be a pop-up in the background that asks if you want to allow said Thunderbolt device to connect. Hit the "Always Allow" and do that for each Thunderbolt device that you have. Remember that if you have something like the UAD Apollo, you must install the driver/software for that before it will show up as a device.

So, this Thunderbolt-authorizing is something that you should do last, before you cut everything over to your hack. The only way I got two Thunderbolt devices to show up using the Alpine Ridge card was to daisy chain them off of Port 1 of that add-in card. The Titan Ridge is the first one I've used where both Thunderbolt ports are working.

I see in your signature that you have an X99-A. Can you be more specific about that model?

Assuming you've already installed the GC-Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge driver in Windows 10: In Windows, at the bottom right of the Toolbar, you'll see a little blue Thunderbolt icon. When you click on that, it should open a tiny device list and there will be a pop-up in the background that asks if you want to allow said Thunderbolt device to connect. Hit the "Always Allow" and do that for each Thunderbolt device that you have. Remember that if you have something like the UAD Apollo, you must install the driver/software for that before it will show up as a device.

So, this Thunderbolt-authorizing is something that you should do last, before you cut everything over to your hack. The only way I got two Thunderbolt devices to show up using the Alpine Ridge card was to daisy chain them off of Port 1 of that add-in card. The Titan Ridge is the first one I've used where both Thunderbolt ports are working.

The mobo is a ASUS x99-A/USB 3.1

Im connecting an Apollo Twin and a Samsung T5.
Already tried different drivers and all (DCH too). I can connect the Apollo and the SSD in the first boot but then port2 disappears. I have no trouble connecting both in the port 1 but I would like to have the two working.

I've read quite an amount of posts before asking anything. Saw daisy chain comments but thought it was a
macOS thing. Do you think that would work in my case?

edit: and I know T5 is not TB but I would like to take advantage of the speeds.

Daisy chaining works in Windows 10, too.

Maybe this for your situation: Plug in the Apollo Twin via Thunderbolt and plug the T5 into one of the 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports at back panel, the teal blue ones.) –I think that's your best option given your listed equipment.

FWIW, You can only daisy chain from a device that has at least one extra Thunderbolt port, like the BMD MultiDock 2.

Bump, spent countless hours trying to have that second Alpine Ridge port to work properly... TBH if Titan ridge works fine, I'll shell out the money! Can you confirm both ports work? If so, what are you Mobo Thunderbolt Settings? Thanks.

Also spent many hours in trying to get both ports to work but I only had a T5 to test the second port. Not a thunderbolt 3 per se. Tried many mobo settings and got 2 ports working but only for 1 or 2 restarts. idk about the Titan Ridge though. Settled for 1 port and connected the T5 in the 3.1 gen 2 port on my mobo. Less speed but I can sleep better now.

The second port was working fine with hot plugging too.

My Apollo twin always worked fine I only need to keep it on. I guess the Apollo wakes the Alpine up.

For anyone that has been struggling with this issue. I am using the Z270X-Ultra Gaming. It comes with an USB 3-C but in order to use Thunderbolt you must purchase the add on Card. I am using the GC-Alpine Ridge. Make sure to connect it to the 4th PCIE slot which in this board is the last one in the bottom. Also in the Bios Settings under Thunderbolt set your Security settings to none not User Authorization. I activated and update the firmware in windows first. I then fully shut down the computer, I am using the starTech TBT3TBTADAP Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Make sure all devices are on before rebooting into OS X. I can confirm it is working in 10.12.6 using an Apollo Twin Audio Interface. After doing this I deleted my windows hard drive because I will not be using windows in this computer all is working great.

Well I'm using Z370 gigabyte ultra gaming board with High sierra, I'm going to get Titan Ridge for my Apollo Twin please help me out @itecaudio

can anyone please help me get this working on my system?

Z370XP SLI board with I7 8700k not using intel IGPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back