Contribute
Register

[Solved] GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubling down here as I found some answer from reading. I can't seem to find the modification for the header cable for using this card on an Asus board. Anyone got any leads?

Doubling down here as I found some answer from reading. I can't seem to find the modification for the header cable for using this card on an Asus board. Anyone got any leads?

Hi there. I'm an Apollo 8 Quad/Pro Tools/Vienna Ensemble Pro user. I've been working on this hotswap issue for months. Hot swap as in I can power-off the Apollo after quitting Pro Tools and later turn the Apollo back on and have it reconnect via the UAD driver/handler. I can save you some steps and grief: Thunderbolt Hotplug does not work for UAD devices and these Z370 systems. I've used BIOS F5, F7, F9, and F11. Unless you are running Windows or a real Mac. In those cases, both ports work fine and you can flip power switches all day long and still regain your external Apollo. That's it. I have some great SSDTs that go into EFI<Clover<ACPI<Patched -and you can try them (my Thunderbolt card exists on RP21) -but I suspect that a result with an Asus Z370 with a Thunderbolt header and AIC will be the same as for mine (see build sig). FWIW, the SSDTs I use were originally built for X299 and Titan Ridge, but were rewritten to be used with the Z370 and the Alpine Ridge rev.2 -KGP wrote these.

I might be able to gain "hotswap" with a Z390 board, but I've decided that it's not worth the effort until I run this build into the ground. I just power-up the Apollo and let it fully settle before starting the computer. I hope this helps. I'm considering retasking this machine to run as a headless Vienna Ensemble Pro Server and just use one of my Mac Mini 6,2 units for Pro Tools and Apollo use.

Note that these are for my particular mobo and may require tweaking to work with your mobo:
Here's a link to a successful Gigabyte guide other stuff that you may find helpful: Combined Effort...
Best of luck. LMK what happens.

Attachments

• config for 18,3.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 186
  • SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 129
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 131
Hi there. I'm an Apollo 8 Quad/Pro Tools/Vienna Ensemble Pro user. I've been working on this hotswap issue for months. Hot swap as in I can power-off the Apollo after quitting Pro Tools and later turn the Apollo back on and have it reconnect via the UAD driver/handler. I can save you some steps and grief: Thunderbolt Hotplug does not work for UAD devices and these Z370 systems. I've used BIOS F5, F7, F9, and F11. Unless you are running Windows or a real Mac. In those cases, both ports work fine and you can flip power switches all day long and still regain your external Apollo. That's it. I have some great SSDTs that go into EFI<Clover<ACPI<Patched -and you can try them (my Thunderbolt card exists on RP21) -but I suspect that a result with an Asus Z370 with a Thunderbolt header and AIC will be the same as for mine (see build sig). FWIW, the SSDTs I use were originally built for X299 and Titan Ridge, but were rewritten to be used with the Z370 and the Alpine Ridge rev.2 -KGP wrote these.

I might be able to gain "hotswap" with a Z390 board, but I've decided that it's not worth the effort until I run this build into the ground. I just power-up the Apollo and let it fully settle before starting the computer. I hope this helps. I'm considering retasking this machine to run as a headless Vienna Ensemble Pro Server and just use one of my Mac Mini 6,2 units for Pro Tools and Apollo use.

Note that these are for my particular mobo and may require tweaking to work with your mobo:
Here's a link to a successful Gigabyte guide other stuff that you may find helpful: Combined Effort...
Best of luck. LMK what happens.

Thanks Jiffyslot, all great information. I got my hot swap working but I'd have to look back at what SSDT I used. One thing I learned though is that when I cant get anything to show up I need to simply unplug for 15 seconds and reboot and im back to fully functional TB3. Im still on the hunt for how to mod the header cable to work with my mobo.

Thanks Jiffyslot, all great information. I got my hot swap working but I'd have to look back at what SSDT I used. One thing I learned though is that when I cant get anything to show up I need to simply unplug for 15 seconds and reboot and im back to fully functional TB3. Im still on the hunt for how to mod the header cable to work with my mobo.

Is your header cable connected? You're able to switch-off the UAD, switch it back on and it reconnects to the UAD Meter and Control Panel? Amazing. If you'd care to share your TB setup and SSDT from the EFI folder, I'd be grateful.

FWIW, I don't have to unplug anything, just restart. I'm on Mojave 10.14.3.

Is your header cable connected? You're able to switch-off the UAD, switch it back on and it reconnects to the UAD Meter and Control Panel? Amazing. If you'd care to share your TB setup and SSDT from the EFI folder, I'd be grateful.

FWIW, I don't have to unplug anything, just restart. I'm on Mojave 10.14.3.

I'll dig it up in the morning for you! But yeah I can flip it on and off all day so long as it booted correctly. Once I've cold booted with the the Apollo on I can restart, turn off and on, whatever over and over again no problem. If the initial boot isn't done right then it won't work. Header cable is connected. All ports work.

@NorthAmTransAm

That's great and nuts at the same time because when my TB SSDT was working, same deal.
IDK how it went sideways. Please share, if you would. Please and thank you.

I'm attaching a couple screen shots below...

Attachments

• RP21 while UAD and Meter is Running.png
    RP21 while UAD and Meter is Running.png
    516.1 KB · Views: 221
  • RP21 on Z370.png
    RP21 on Z370.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 189

I haven't seen 2 TB ports working on a Hack let alone more. FWIW, on my build with the GC-Alpine Ridge v.2, only Port 1 works. I can only get 2 ports to work if I'm running Windows 10. YMMV.

For anyone that has been struggling with this issue. I am using the Z270X-Ultra Gaming. It comes with an USB 3-C but in order to use Thunderbolt you must purchase the add on Card. I am using the GC-Alpine Ridge. Make sure to connect it to the 4th PCIE slot which in this board is the last one in the bottom. Also in the Bios Settings under Thunderbolt set your Security settings to none not User Authorization. I activated and update the firmware in windows first. I then fully shut down the computer, I am using the starTech TBT3TBTADAP Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Make sure all devices are on before rebooting into OS X. I can confirm it is working in 10.12.6 using an Apollo Twin Audio Interface. After doing this I deleted my windows hard drive because I will not be using windows in this computer all is working great.

Hi there i know its been some time since you wrote this post but any help would be greatful. Here is my set up the problem I'm having is with the monitor. I installed the alpine ridge card in the 4th slot as mentioned ran windows and installed the drivers. Everything worked it detected the camera the speakers all the usb ports all seemed well so i restarted on the mac side and everything was detected as well FaceTime also worked. but I shutdown that night and now nothing is working anymore. The display is fine but non of the ports on the back or the isight camera is working. I can't figure out what happed I'm using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter i don't know if that could be a factor since your using a different cable. I did noticed that when the adaptor is in the red usb3 slot the display works but when its plugged into the blue slot the usb ports on the back work but no display just a black screen.

CPU:
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake)
MOBO:
Gigabyte Z270X - Ultra Gaming
GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8gb DDR4 2400mhz
Samsung 960 EVO 250gb
Thunderbolt:
Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3
Case:
NZXT S340 Elite ATX Mid Tower Matte Black
Monitor:
Apple 27" Thunderbolt display

@NorthAmTransAm

That's great and nuts at the same time because when my TB SSDT was working, same deal.
IDK how it went sideways. Please share, if you would. Please and thank you.

I'm attaching a couple screen shots below...

When I installed FakePCIID my IOReg looked a litttttle bit more native than before with the thunderbolt stuff. System Profiler looks great. Are you up and running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back