Contribute
Register

[Solved] GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely WOW!!!
you ROCK!!! sir,

thanks so so much for explaining all this i really do appreciate you but if you don't mind I have few questions. since I am new to this.

1. X86 Platform: how does this help in Hackintosh build?
2. AGPM injector: do i still need to generate it if I am not using iGPU?
3. TB: it looks like it's working now since have portable HDD connected to it and i can see it.

Yay! Aside from trying to make things as similar to a real Mac as possible it gives you native power management which will give you more stability and hopefully performance.

AGPM Yes, that way OS can control the power management of your GPU.

TB did you apply the patches or did it simply work because of the shutdown unplug procedure?

There's still one more thing you need to do but we'll get to that shortly.

@dodo lastly you need to create an EC device. You won't be able to upgrade eventually if you don't and its proper behavior. Here's a mini guide.

Create SSDT-EC.aml ACPI Patch with SSDTTime app

For the most part it's fairly easy but since you're new to it I'll walk you through some of the nuances.

Prep
  • Download Rehabman's Maciasl from here. Move to applications.
  • Download Pavo's SSDTTime app from here. Move to desktop for simplicity. (Hint: there's a green button on the page that says clone or download. Download zip!)
  • Download Xcode from the App Store and open it. It should prompt you for an update, do it!
A little more superfluous prep, because why not

Using spotlight (cmd+space) type in Terminal and open the application Terminal. Alternatively you can find it in applications/Utilities.

Let's install Homebrew so we can install Python3. It's not super important what these are but this will help you avoid errors in Terminal type...things.

In Terminal type
Code:
usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”

You'll be prompted for a password. Though you cant see it as you type it, enter it and hit enter. Let it do it's thing. Once done close and reopen Terminal.

Now that we have Homebrew we can update Python3. Enter the following command and let it do its thing.
Code:
brew install python3

Maciasl

This is what we use to edit dsl and aml files and also to view our System DSDT. For SSDTTime you need to grab a copy of your System DSDT.

1. Open Maciasl and go to File>New From ACPI>DSDT.
  2. Now we save it via File>Save As. Change the File Type at the bottom to ACPI Machine Language Binary and name the file DSDT.aml. I recommend saving it to your desktop.

SSDTTime...time!

1. Go to your SSDTTime folder on your desktop and open SSDTime.command. You'll like need to go to System Preferences/Security And Privacy/General and select Open Anyway. You should see this.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 3.55.48 PM.png
  2. First we want to give it our DSDT.aml. Press D then enter. On the next screen drag and drop your DSDT into terminal and select enter. This should take you back to the first screen and at the top you should see your DSDT selected.
  3. Now press 2 for FakeEC. It will create the file we want: SSDT-EC.aml. It will be in a folder in the SSDTTime folder called Results.
  4. Run option 3. This will create SSDT-Plug.aml. We discussed this previously. Replace the one from yesterday with this.

Good luck!

Yay! Aside from trying to make things as similar to a real Mac as possible it gives you native power management which will give you more stability and hopefully performance.

AGPM Yes, that way OS can control the power management of your GPU.

TB did you apply the patches or did it simply work because of the shutdown unplug procedure?

There's still one more thing you need to do but we'll get to that shortly.

i try the shutdown option to see my TB is RP17 RP19 or RP21 but i couldn't tell. (see the attached pic)

i will work on other things as soon as i figure out this TB situation.

again thanks so much for all your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 12.16.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 12.16.39 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
i try the shutdown option to see my TB is RP17 RP19 or RP21 but i couldn't tell. (see the attached pic)

i will work on other things as soon as i figure out this TB situation.

again thanks so much for all your help.
Dont do a search just send your whole IOReg.

@NorthAmTransAm I followed your installation of tb3 and the only part I didn't really fully understand is the AGPM part.I would really appreciate if you could help me with that part if you don't mind please

Hi I gave up on this a year ago but dragged out the alpine ridge card and did a win 7 64 install which i never tried originally

- managed to get this to work by following all the usual bios settings and it would see my thunderbolt drives in sierra but as soon as i shut down and came back the next day it would not see my thunderbolt drive So if forgets overnight (weird) but found if i open bios at boot then don't make any adjustments and hit save bios setting it works every time.

A pain but ok for dumping footage onto internal drives after moving away from iMacs

Did anyone ever get their second TB3 port on the Alpine Ridge card working with an Asus x99 board ?
I had instability with the Asus EX3 and saw that people were dropping them for the GB Alpine Ridge card instead so bought one too.
Installed and works fine but only one of the two ports (this is on windows 10, I wanted to make sure it worked properly in Windows before battling MacOS).

I haven't seen a straight answer to this, so sorry if this has already been answered. If I install this, can I use a thunderbolt monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back