Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] GA-X58A-UD3R - Snow Leopard Random Shutdowns ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I followed the guide for building the Mac Pro Hackintosh http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4837
and got it all up and running (including the dual boot windows7/osx from one harddrive).

However when booted into OSX it randomly shuts down the machine. Its not a restart, its a complete powerdown.

I have the custom dsdt installed, the nv-enabler kext (I am using the geforce 8500gt), ALC889 kext and JMicron36xeSATA.

I have one monitor connected, a keyboard and mouse (both usb) and nothing else.

I ran a couple of benchmarks in windows to see if there is an issue with the cpu running hot but I am not having any problems under Windows 7 ultimate.

did anybody here have similar issues with this build?

thanks in advance for any help!

best
Markus

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R - Snow Leopard Random Shutdowns ...

weirdmonkey2807 said:
Hey guys,

I followed the guide for building the Mac Pro Hackintosh http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4837
and got it all up and running (including the dual boot windows7/osx from one harddrive).

However when booted into OSX it randomly shuts down the machine. Its not a restart, its a complete powerdown.

I have the custom dsdt installed, the nv-enabler kext (I am using the geforce 8500gt), ALC889 kext and JMicron36xeSATA.

I have one monitor connected, a keyboard and mouse (both usb) and nothing else.

I ran a couple of benchmarks in windows to see if there is an issue with the cpu running hot but I am not having any problems under Windows 7 ultimate.

did anybody here have similar issues with this build?

thanks in advance for any help!

best
Markus
Yes ,same problem to me.
I have instaled with VC gts 250 but with GIGABYTE HD 5770 i have same problem ,no boot and no install ,sry4 my engl

@weirdmonkey2807
The JMicron kext may not be needed for DSDT. I had my GA-X58A-UD3R running and seeing the eSATA without any kext. Although I didn't test eSATA devices. So my hunch has to do with that Kext. Disable eSATA and see if your system stabilizes or just remove the kext and see if your eSATA will still work properly. It showed on my system list as a controller for SATA. I could be wrong though.

What BIOS settings? If you are booting to Win7 it will change your bios to RAID sometimes if you don't config Win7 to use AHCI. Can't remember where I saw the post but it is on the forum.

So you need HPET 64 Bit for OSX but this may not jive with Win7. Not Sure. Check AHCI is not changed to RAID. I couldn't boot in to install unless I set it for RAID for Win7.

ACPI should be 2.0 with S3 or Auto enabled.

I think you have a BIOS issue here. Try to boot from iBoot if not and then rework your kexts and make sure you are not 64bit GraphicsEnabler=Yes go with 32 bit and see if that gets you in to boot.

@gogugmg

Here is how to set up your BIOS...
First you have to disable all Peripherals in the bios except keyboard support and use a USB keyboard. I bought an Apple Keyboard (and now I am legally Apple Branded Hardware lol!).

SATA should be AHCI. And S3 or auto for ACPI and HPET Enable and 64bits. OS should be set to not plug and play too.

Disable Audio/1394/Ethernet/eXtreme Controllers/USB-3/Raid etc. Make it just bare minimum. Enable these Peripherals after successful install of OSX 10.6.3-10.6.4 then the Graphics Update with Multibeast Kexts. Use the Multibeast Kexts and DSDT.aml and refrence your board/bios version rev.2 FB or FA and place on your desktop. Select DSDT from Multibeast and it will auto install Chameleon and use the DSDT.

Of course you may need to change the DVD Boot drive to SATA-0 and HDD to SATA-1. This may not be an issue but it couldn't hurt. Those will be the only available during boot too.

*ATI boards Only... The graphics update and 10.6.4 must be installed to use ATI 5770. You have to do this on first boot from iBoot or use iBoot to get you in and then install. You must use the VERVET Kext in Multibeast and select Graphics Enable=No and then select the 32bit Screen. There are hints in Multibeast that will walk you through. I used audio kext Legacy 889 and audio should work but if not then choose Legacy 889 plus HD 889.

*NVidia uses the NVEnabler Kext with a 32bit Graphics Screen setting GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Thanks for your help guys but I am still having the same issues. Everything installs fine and works very well. If it is a BIOS issue I am not sure what else to change. I followed this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4837
exactly and I am using all the same settings ...

After working a couple minutes on the system the computer just powers down. - out of the blue. sometimes it happens quicker but it usually is about 5 minutes and with various tasks.

Last time it did it during an install. This time I was just using Safari.

I am beginning to suspect that this is a hardware problem. RAM maybe? I ran Memtest86+ and it didn't come up with any errors.

The system is definitely not overheating. I monitored the temperature and none of the CPU's go over 40 degrees. usually running at 35.

anybody have any clues on what might be wrong?

weirdmonkey2807 said:
Thanks for your help guys but I am still having the same issues. Everything installs fine and works very well. If it is a BIOS issue I am not sure what else to change. I followed this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4837
exactly and I am using all the same settings ...

After working a couple minutes on the system the computer just powers down. - out of the blue. sometimes it happens quicker but it usually is about 5 minutes and with various tasks.

Last time it did it during an install. This time I was just using Safari.

I am beginning to suspect that this is a hardware problem. RAM maybe? I ran Memtest86+ and it didn't come up with any errors.

The system is definitely not overheating. I monitored the temperature and none of the CPU's go over 40 degrees. usually running at 35.

anybody have any clues on what might be wrong?
Try running prime95 for an hour or two.

running now. Will let you know the results. thanks!!

ran with no problems. ran it under windows 7 64-bit ultimate edition. All running stable so far.

anything else I can try when installing osx?

weirdmonkey2807 said:
ran with no problems. ran it under windows 7 64-bit ultimate edition. All running stable so far.

anything else I can try when installing osx?

Try Memtest86+ for 15 hours plus?

I'll let it run overnight and report back tomorrow.

thanks!

@notshy: I am using the same RAM modules as you by the way. (6GB Corsair Dominator (TR3X6G1600C8D).

Here is my complete hardware specs just for reference:

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1366 SATA3 ATI CrossFireX ATX Motherboard GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor
Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominator (TR3X6G1600C8D)
Graphics: EVGA 01G-P3-N959TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express 2.0
Harddrive: Corsair 120 GB Force Series Ultra Fast TRIM Supported Solid State Drive CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT

I had to disable these 2 settings in my BIOS by the way in order to get Windows 7 installed:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ..................... [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ...................... [Disabled]

I am not sure if that can be related to the problems I am having on OSX. I has been suggested on the Gigabyte uk forum that the power supply might be bad and is not giving enough power.

I then saw that Lnx2Mac’s Guide says to keep on these setting in the BIOS. When I do that however I can't get Windows 7 to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back