Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] From El Capitan to Sierra: Progress bar fills 80% but then shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
I seem to be having a problem upgrading to Sierra from El Capitan. I followed the guide by just downloading Sierra from the app store and then adding FakeSMC to my "/other" folder. When I select the Install macOS option from the boot loader I get a progress bar that fills but takes a long time and then suddenly just shuts down.

The guide mentions selecting Without Cache but I never see that option. Is there anything I could be missing when attempting this update?

Is there an alternate way of upgrading to Sierra by way of USB? I would really appreciate any help as I really want to get my 1070 finally working with OSX.

Unless there is a way to get it working with El Capitan, I really only care about upgrading because of this.

Would really appreciate a response. I have attached photos while in verbose mode to hopefully give people an idea of what issue I am possibly having.

Edit: not sure why the images uploaded upside down...

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Did you update Clover ?
Yes I followed the guide and updated everything. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't get to the install screen.

Yes I followed the guide and updated everything. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't get to the install screen.
For an upgrade you should ensure that FakeSMC.kext is in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
I see from your first post that you did that.

Attach your config.plist

For an upgrade you should ensure that FakeSMC.kext is in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
I see from your first post that you did that.

Attach your config.plist

Here you go! Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.9 KB · Views: 227
Is your GTX 1070 installed ?
It's plugged in if that is what you are asking, but i am running into the HD530 and the graphics are set to IGFX in my BIOS.

It's plugged in if that is what you are asking, but i am running into the HD530 and the graphics are set to IGFX in my BIOS.
It might be worth removing it until your upgrade to Sierra is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back