Contribute
Register

[Solved] Drives not showing up in installer "Disk I/O error"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im having a similar problem. The USB installer I created with UniBeast shows my my hard-drive in the Disk Utility as uninitialized. If I try to erase it then I get the can't write to the last byte error.

I would like to add/install the AppleAHCIPort.kext onto my USB installer but I haven't been able to figure out how that's done. Any help would be appreciated.

The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.
@Justin84, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
I would like to add/install the AppleAHCIPort.kext onto my USB installer but I haven't been able to figure out how that's done.
AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 will only work if installed in /Library/Extensions and using a kext installer like KextBeast.

You need to add the ICH patch to the config.plist on your USB Installer.
patch.png

Thanks for your help, i've also updated my profile.

> AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 will only work if installed in /Library/Extensions and using a kext installer like KextBeast.

Perhaps a stupid question. With KextBeast I Don't seen an option to install the kext onto my installer USB, I can only install it onto the Mac that creates the installer from UniBeast. Is that right?

Perhaps a stupid question. With KextBeast I Don't seen an option to install the kext onto my installer USB, I can only install it onto the Mac that creates the installer from UniBeast. Is that right?
AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 will NOT work on your USB Installer!
Use the ICH patch for your USB Installer

After you have installed High Sierra, and you do the post installation, you can use the ICH patch for your Disk or install AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 to /Library/Extensions.

I think the fix to this problem is to place the Apple AHCIPort.kext v328 in L/E using a kext installer.
Very many thanks for this. It worked perfectly for me.
Thanks again :D

not so clear, we have to replce the Config.plist by an other created with Clover configurator

Last edited:
OK IT WORKS !
First thanks to BreBo for your solution.
As everybody is not informatician i will explain with details here how to do if you can't erase you target drive
with Disk utility before installing OS High Sierra.

In fact we have to modify the Config.plist of the EFI partition of the USB Install:

• your Unibeast USB Install appears on your desktop
  • Download Clover Configurator (Vibrant Edition) and open it
  • Go to Mount EFI and choose the EFI partition of the Install USB
  • now the EFI partition appears on your desktop
  • Double clic on the EFI partition EFI/Clover/Config.plist
  • It will open in the clover configurator
  • Check the Kernel and Kext Patches section and add new ICH patch
  • you have to write each word and number on a new line that you add with a + icon at the left back of the app.
  • Save
  • Close Clover Configurator
Now you can process the install as described and when you will have to erase your target disk to install it would be OK.

For me the problem arrived after:
Erase in Mac OS extended mode was not recognised by the installer, the install say "missing a firmware partition"
I had to erase in APFS mode

Last edited:
I think the fix to this problem is to place the Apple AHCIPort.kext v328 in L/E using a kext installer. The idea is it won't be over written with any future updates. There is no need to delete the new one from S/L/E. The problem is the new one doesn't recognise older ssd disks. Ive attached the kext to this post, let me know if the fix worked. Good luck.

Solved. Thank you very much.
Already installed and fixed.

I posted already about this issue but I am going to post here as well in the hopes one of the people who had luck fixing this might have an idea as to how to help me.

Basically me and the wife have the exact same Hackintosh(s). My WD HDD 6TB Mechanical drive started showing as uninitialized (but not EVERY time). The wife did not have this issue. I figured it was the drive itself and RMA'd the drive....now her drive is doing the same thing! I tried both the Clover kext fix and using KextBeast to install the older AppleAHCIPort.kext in L/E. Neither made any difference. I have a Samsung 860 EVO using the same SATA that works perfect. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back