Contribute
Register

[solved] Can't boot to installer on XPS 15 9570 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe you should apply the DVMT patch?
Do you mean the 32MB stolen/cursor memory patch in WhateverGreen? I already do.

the only perfect solution is to use GRUB boot to unlock your BIOS...
The XPS 15 9570's max DVMT-prealloc value is 0x03, 64MB. I can't boot into the GRUB shell to even check if it's that. It stays on a static underscore, which doesn't even blink.
I'll take a look at compiling a modern version of GRUB's shell with the setup_var patch though.

My video memory is only 31M
Mine also says 31M... :(

What is the size of your video memory?My video memory is only 31M
Shown in my self introduction, My graphics card is HD5500, I only use 00003001(19MB) in framebuffer-stolenmem and 00009000(9MB) for framebuffer-fbmem. Totally the same as the example given in the guide. But I don't think the little DVMT pre-allocated is adequate for your 4K screen.

maybe you should apply the DVMT patch? I mean . to add framebuffer-stolenmem in properties. But you must confront the fact that due to your 4K screen, the only perfect solution is to use GRUB boot to unlock your BIOS...
But the xps 15 9570 unable to extract BIOS,so i can't find the dvmt value.

The XPS 15 9570's max DVMT-prealloc value is 0x03, 64MB. I can't boot into the GRUB shell to even check if it's that. It stays on a static underscore, which doesn't even blink.
I'll take a look at compiling a modern version of GRUB's shell with the setup_var patch though.
Emmm maybe you can boot with valid ig-platform-id to trigger DVMT panic deliberately, then boot with invalid ig to boot in your system, open the console, read the panic log, to calculate how much pre-allocated DVMT should be used now.
upload_2018-9-28_20-41-26.png

console--system report.
Any panic logs will be shown as files ended with .panic and named by time, so you are walking on an easy street to find the exactly panic report.

But the xps 15 9570 unable to extract BIOS,so i can't find the dvmt value.
You can patch the Framebuffer to match the 64MB limitation, an alternative choice. I don't know if 64 MB is OK, but you can test.

It says 31MB. Then again, I'm using a 4K screen :/
wrong.
When my HD5500 didn't work, It saids HD5500 7MB in "About this Mac", while 16160002 needs 55 in fact.

I mean, it also says 31MB in the panic log, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.
I think just adjust DVMT more than 31MB can prevent the computer form kernel panic--64MB meets the standard.
Of course, 32MB cannot burden 4K screen, but that is another problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back