Contribute
Register

[solved] Can't add Custom HiDPI resolution (HD Graphics 620)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
IdeaPad 320S 14IKB-80XA
CPU
Intel i5-7200U
Graphics
HD Graphics 620 [13,9" - 1920x1080]
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, I have the following laptop:

Lenovo Ideapad 320s - 14ikb (i5 7200u, Intel HD 620, 8gb ddr4 2400 mhz of ram)

The iGPU is working perfectly, but the display scaling is way too small. Setting a res of 1600x900 with both SysPrefs > display and RDM results in a blurred ui. The only HiDPI res I can get is 540p. I've followed this guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i-resolution-for-your-desktop-display.102321/), but even if I add both 1600x900 and 3200x1800 on my display override, I still can't get HiDPI on that resolution. I've uploaded the override .plist (I removed the extension before copying trough terminal in the system directory as per guide) and the problem reporting zip in the attachments. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 3274.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 132
  • DisplayProductID-6f3.plist
    707 bytes · Views: 216
Hi everyone, I have the following laptop:

Lenovo Ideapad 320s - 14ikb (i5 7200u, Intel HD 620, 8gb ddr4 2400 mhz of ram)

The iGPU is working perfectly, but the display scaling is way too small. Setting a res of 1600x900 with both SysPrefs > display and RDM results in a blurred ui. The only HiDPI res I can get is 540p. I've followed this guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i-resolution-for-your-desktop-display.102321/), but even if I add both 1600x900 and 3200x1800 on my display override, I still can't get HiDPI on that resolution. I've uploaded the override .plist (I removed the extension before copying trough terminal in the system directory as per guide) and the problem reporting zip in the attachments. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

See HiDPI guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/

I followed your guide carefully, checking multiple times, but the result is always the same.

What do you see in SysPrefs->Displays?
You will also need to show proof you installed the display override in the correct way...

What do you see in SysPrefs->Displays?
You will also need to show proof you installed the display override in the correct way...
So I've tinkered a little bit with the override and I've got 1366x768 which is better, but still far from the ideal 1600x900. In the attachments you can find SysPrefs>Display and RDM screenshots, along with the override file (I had to add the extension to the override again in order to attach it). Here's the terminal commands I've used:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionDisabled

sudo mkdir /System/Library/Display/Contents/Resources/Overrides/Display/VendorID-9e5

cd Desktop

sudo cp DisplayProductID-6f3 /System/Library/Display/Contents/Resources/Overrides/Display/VendorID-9e5

sudo reboot

Attachments

• SysPrefs>Display.png
    SysPrefs>Display.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 469
  • RDM.png
    RDM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 381
  • DisplayProductID-6f3.plist
    707 bytes · Views: 160
Last edited:
So I've tinkered a little bit with the override and I've got 1366x768 which is better, but still far from the ideal 1600x900. In the attachments you can find SysPrefs>Display and RDM screenshots, along with the override file (I had to add the extension to the override again in order to attach it). Here's the terminal commands I've used:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionDisabled

sudo mkdir /System/Library/Display/Contents/Resources/Overrides/Display/VendorID-9e5

cd Desktop

sudo cp DisplayProductID-6f3 /System/Library/Display/Contents/Resources/Overrides/Display/VendorID-9e5

sudo reboot

You might need to try other ig-platform-id values.

You might need to try other ig-platform-id values.
Thanks for your help! Could this be related to the fact that sleep/wake isn't working? Can you explain more in detail which values sholus I try and where I should change them please?

Thanks for your help! Could this be related to the fact that sleep/wake isn't working? Can you explain more in detail which values sholus I try and where I should change them please?

Here is how to determine all ig-platform-id values (this is for KabyLake, other kexts are similar... your profile has no details on your hardware, so now I forget which graphics device you have... you should fix your profile as per FAQ).

Install Hex Fiend.
In Terminal:
Code:
open -a "Hex Fiend" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer
In Hex Fiend, search for a known ig-platform-id, for example, 0x59120000 is hex search for '00 00 12 59'
Each ig-platform-id is 184 bytes (in this kext and SKL).
It helps to expand the Hex Fiend window to 23 columns (need a big screen, 184/4/2=23), because then you can see each ig-platform-id lined up vertically (every other row).
You will find the table starts with 0x591e0000 and the last is 0x591b0106. The 0xFFFFFFFF signifies the end of table.

Here is how to determine all ig-platform-id values (this is for KabyLake, other kexts are similar... your profile has no details on your hardware, so now I forget which graphics device you have... you should fix your profile as per FAQ).

Install Hex Fiend.
In Terminal:
Code:
open -a "Hex Fiend" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer
In Hex Fiend, search for a known ig-platform-id, for example, 0x59120000 is hex search for '00 00 12 59'
Each ig-platform-id is 184 bytes (in this kext and SKL).
It helps to expand the Hex Fiend window to 23 columns (need a big screen, 184/4/2=23), because then you can see each ig-platform-id lined up vertically (every other row).
You will find the table starts with 0x591e0000 and the last is 0x591b0106. The 0xFFFFFFFF signifies the end of table.
I have an intel hd 620. I have my custom build specs in the profile, plus my laptop specs in the "other hardware" field, so my profile is already updated per faqs. Where should I put the values? In Graphics > ig-platform-id? Which should I put in Devices > Fake ID > IntelGFX field? My actual values are 0x591B0000 for ig-platform-id, and 0x59128086 for IntelGFX btw.

Edit: I just checked and apparently my "Other Hardware" informations are missing. Sorry my bad, now it's updated properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back