Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]buying/Downloading/ installing osx using someone elses apple ID and/or mac question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I went to buy and install mountain lion on my USB flash drive today using uni beast and the method outlined in the guide.
My friend (who's iMac I was using for this transaction) was concerned that since we were using his apple id and system to buy and download the program this may violate or invalidate his user agreement with apple and he wouldn't be entitled to the 3 years of support he's paid for etc.

So a couple of questions:
1. After I installed that download on my hackintosh would it be locked in any way to his system or apple ID?
2. If that is the case would he be violating his agreement etc when I install the software onto another system which will be connected to the internet?
3. He is on a previous version to the one we are downloading. Will he be able to install the new version later on after I have used it on my system?

We used his ID because it was easier at the time. I can easily swap to my ID and redownload (but I'd still have to use someone else's Mac since I don't own one.)

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where this belongs.

I'd be grateful if any one could shed any light on this so I can reassure him and continue along my path.

Thanks in advance !

buying/Downloading/ installing osx using someone elses apple ID and/or mac question

Hey there,

strictly speaking you are breaking the EULA by using an installer bought on someone else's user id / machine, your friend can log out of the App Store and then you can log in with your user name and password to purchase your own version.

Having said that your friend isn't going to see any issues upgrading should he wish to in the future; the issue will however come when you come to upgrade in the future on your machine as your App Store will ask for his user id and password when trying to upgrade.

hope this helps.

buying/Downloading/ installing osx using someone elses apple ID and/or mac question

I think you should be fine, but personally I would (and did) use my own apple account, even tho I was downloading on a friends machine.

Thankyou for your help both. We've managd to sort it all out now. I did as advised and originally planned and redownloaded using my own ID. I'm now setup and its al working well. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back