i7 4790
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Solid build for Mavericks? [Help]

Hey guys, I'm planning on building a Hackintosh in the near future. I'd appreciate it if you can review my build and give me feedback.

Background info, I recently installed 10.9.4 Mavericks on a pre-built Acer Predator G3620 (z87 chipset, i7 3770, Nvidia GT630, 12gb ram)
Only reason i did it is because i had an extra HDD laying around and i wanted to try it out. it has a few problems
-power management, does not sleep/hibernate correctly
-Chimera Bootloader does not work, I have to boot to my UniBeast stick in order to get to Mavericks
-Even with vt-d disabled on my bios, i still have to boot into Mavericks using "dart=0"
-Mavericks does not boot up when i use "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" (maybe i have to install drivers), but when it is set to "GraphicsEnabler=No", Mavericks boots up no problem even when HDMI is plugged into the GT630. (is that normal?)
-aaaaand I dont know the motherboard model =[

If anyone can help me getting this build working properly that would be cool too, its not a priority though.

Anything i put below, please correct me if i am wrong.

Keep in mind i am building specifically for Mavericks

MOTHERBOARD:
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH

- I read somewhere that thunderbolt does not work correctly. Does not work via Hotswap
- On board graphics on 4th gen CPUs with Z97 chipset does not work, therefore how will i go about installing OSX with a GPU that does NOT work OOB?
- Is there a better Gigabyte motherboard you would recommend even if it doesnt have Thunderbolt capability?

GPU:
PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB

- i will be doing gaming on the Windows 7 side of the build. Pro tools, Photoshop, Premiere Pro on the Mavericks side of the build
- i read that the GTX 780 does not work OOB
- Does the GTX 770 or 760 work OOB?
- between the 760, 770, and 780, which one should I get? and why?

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4790K

- I won't be overclocking right away, but its only $20 more than the standard version

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB

- Might as well max out on ram since its not too expensive
- Will not be overclocking

SSD:
Crucial MX100 512GB (2 of them)

- 1 for Mavericks
- 1 for Windows 7

HDD:
Seagate 4TB SSHD

- I figure i could make a partition for each OS, if not i could just get 2 2TB drives instead

Power Supply:
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt

- or will a 600 watt be good enough?

Wifi:
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series White 500R Mid Tower

Like I mentioned earlier:
-Building specifically for 10.9.4 Mavericks
-Is there a better Motherboard i should look into getting?
-Is there a better Graphics Card i should look into getting?
-will be Gaming on Windows 7
-will be using Pro Tools, Photoshop, and Premiere on Mavericks
-I would like Out of box parts but if something is way better with just minor tweaks, ill get that instead

Thanks in advance!

Why is it you only want to run Mavericks 10.9.4 ?

Pro Tools 10 doesn't run well on Yosemite, that's where most of my work is on. If that wasn't the case, I would go with Yosemite.

I will check out the music section, thanks.

I have PT11 as well, but the plugins I have do not work on PT11, only PT10 which is why I want to stick with mavericks. I haven't even upgraded to Yosemite on my MacBook Pro.

I'm mainly wondering if my build will work for Mavericks. Every similar build I find is all with previous gen hardware (mobo, cpu)
I would like to think since it worked on older hardware then it would work on new hardware, but that is not always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back