Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have updated my iPhone and now I get this Message.
What is it installing?
Is it save and does not brick the Hackintosh?

iPhone-Software-Update.png

Which version are you on right now? You shouldn't update too fast when you have a Hackintosh, just like most of the jailbreakers do while waiting for a new jailbreak to be released (i'd have loved to stay on 11.4.1 for instance, but it's so slow on my i6 that i had to update to 12.0.1 and it works perfect with Mojave 10.14.1)

I have updated my iPhone and now I get this Message.
What is it installing?
Is it save and does not brick the Hackintosh?

View attachment 365042

I suppose you are not running Mojave?

The latest version of iTunes (12.9) required to support iOS 12 is only bundled with Mojave and is not available on older MacOS versions. To maintain support on iTunes 12.8 for iOS 12 for older MacOS versions, Apple will download necessary components to allow iTunes to recognize your iOS 12 device when you connect it to your computer. Only after the update has been installed will iTunes be able to recognize your iPhone.

I don't know why Apple decided to withhold iTunes 12.9 for older MacOS versions, but it is what it did.

I suppose you are not running Mojave?

The latest version of iTunes (12.9) required to support iOS 12 is only bundled with Mojave and is not available on older MacOS versions. To maintain support on iTunes 12.8 for iOS 12 for older MacOS versions, Apple will download necessary components to allow iTunes to recognize your iOS 12 device when you connect it to your computer. Only after the update has been installed will iTunes be able to recognize your iPhone.

I don't know why Apple decided to withhold iTunes 12.9 for older MacOS versions, but it is what it did.

Interesting! :thumbup:

I downgraded to High Sierra from Mojave so I could still use iTunes 12.6.5 to manage my apps locally.

I have an iPhone with iOS 12 installed and all works fine. I had no errors and didn't spot any downloading, but if that's what Apple did, ok.:)

Incidentally I've read that iTunes 12.9 onwards is now an integral part of macOS and as such separate downloads won't be available. Saying that I guess for Windows it remains separate and business as usual.

:)

Interesting! :thumbup:

I downgraded to High Sierra from Mojave so I could still use iTunes 12.6.5 to manage my apps locally.

I have an iPhone with iOS 12 installed and all works fine. I had no errors and didn't spot any downloading, but if that's what Apple did, ok.:)

Incidentally I've read that iTunes 12.9 onwards is now an integral part of macOS and as such separate downloads won't be available. Saying that I guess for Windows it remains separate and business as usual.

:)

iTunes 12.6.5 has iOS 12 support built in, so no downloading of any updates is required to support iOS 12 devices.

Hello, I'm replying to a few-years' old thread in the hope for some guidance, as I am getting this message too but with a newer iOS.

I am running the latest version of Mojave (10.14.7 or .8 I believe) - I need to stay on Mojave to run my 32 bit apps. iTunes is 12.9. iOS is 14.3.

I'm getting the same dialogue box when I plug in my iPhone.

Is it safe to install the required software update? I've been posting on the Apple forums about this and apparently it's not an OS update.

Any tips on getting my Mojave hackintosh running iTunes 12.9 to talk to my iOS 14.3 iPhone? Thanks!

Hello, I'm replying to a few-years' old thread in the hope for some guidance, as I am getting this message too but with a newer iOS.

I am running the latest version of Mojave (10.14.7 or .8 I believe) - I need to stay on Mojave to run my 32 bit apps. iTunes is 12.9. iOS is 14.3.

I'm getting the same dialogue box when I plug in my iPhone.

Is it safe to install the required software update? I've been posting on the Apple forums about this and apparently it's not an OS update.

Any tips on getting my Mojave hackintosh running iTunes 12.9 to talk to my iOS 14.3 iPhone? Thanks!
You have to install that update to enable iTunes to recognize devices on iOS versions 12 (and later). Without that update your iPhone will not be recognized by iTunes on Mojave. You will just have to download and install it to see if iTunes will recognize your iPhone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back