CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First of all - I am a total newbie to the Hackintosh world.
I have a brand new build - as per my profile, and as per the "pro" build suggestions here on tonymacx86.

My plan was to run Mountain Lion - and migrate my existing data and apps from my 10.6.8 Snow Leopard - Macbook Pro. It is an early 2007 build, not capable of running ML. I am doing a lot of graphics and was getting tired of the limited Ram and screen size too!

I managed to get Snow Leopard installed on my Hackintosh and functioning on one of the HDrives - using iBoot for Ivy Bridge on a CD, however it would not boot from the HD using Easybeast thereafter. Then I restored from my CCClone - external drive backup - to the same HD. That install seems to be functioning although I have not attempted to get the proper Video, Audio or wireless functioning.

Using Disk Utility from within that install, I formatted the second drive - and attempted to use my Unibeast prepped USB stick to install Mountain Lion. It got to the part where it wants to reboot and then when it attempts to do so I get a Kernel Panic error. I have no idea what to do from here !

MY FIRST QUESTION is - with the hardware I have, will Snow Leopard actually USE the 32 GB of Ram I have, even though it only shows 4GB in the "about this Mac" - it does all show under the hardware list for the memory.

MY SECOND QUESTION - what would I need to do to get that drive to boot into that install of Snow Leopard.

My THIRD QUESTION - what would I need to do to get Mountain Lion installed and functioning ?

Many thanks for input if you have some.

Ruth

There is absolutely no support for Ivy Bridge chipsets/CPUs in the 10.6.x Snow Leopard kernel.

You cannot install and run Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge and boot from HDD.

This is why you cannot boot from HDD. The iBoot-Ivy-Bridge is only to allow you to install 10.6, update it to 10.6.8 to be able to download 10.8 and create your UniBeast USB installer.

You absolutely cannot install 10.8 over 10.6. As a check, I installed 10.6.0 (my retail install disc version), updated it to 10.6.8, downloaded the 10.8 app and created UniBeast. I tried on the MSI Z77A-GD65 to install the 10.8 over the 10.6.8 and every time the install failed - a check of system info showed 10.6.8 every time. As a back check, I tried the same thing on the -UD7 in my sig. Same result.

You need to boot with the UniBeast, use disk utility at the first install screen to erase or reformat your SL partition and install 10.8 to a clean partition.

My intent all along was to run on 10.8 - and my attempt to use SL was simply to see if I could install from there. If it could have worked I would have considered staying with it til I figured out the issues with ML.

HOWEVER, I have not attempted to update to 10.8 on the same drive as 10.6.8. I have TWO identical 1 TB seagate 6 g/s drives - eventually intending that one will be a Time Machine backup drive.

I attempted to run the Unibeast USB and install 10.8 to a newly formatted, CLEAN HD. It appeared to go through the beginning process and has put a folder with all the .pkg onto that second HD. The problem came when it went to reboot mid-process in the install. It would not reboot - it gave me a kernel panic error. I will attempt to get a screenshot of it and post it as I have no wireless on that computer at this time. The same error occurs when I try to boot directly from that drive right now.

I did read somewhere else that OS X has issues with the WHITE 6g/s SATA connectors on the Gigabyte (Z77X-UD5H) motherboards? Do you know if that would cause a problem?

I have also - since removed the video card to see if that was the issue. Same kernel panic error.

I will continue to post my attempts and some screeenshots shortly - and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

First of all - I am a total newbie to the Hackintosh world.
I have a brand new build - as per my profile, and as per the "pro" build suggestions here on tonymacx86.

My plan was to run Mountain Lion - and migrate my existing data and apps from my 10.6.8 Snow Leopard - Macbook Pro. It is an early 2007 build, not capable of running ML. I am doing a lot of graphics and was getting tired of the limited Ram and screen size too!

I managed to get Snow Leopard installed on my Hackintosh and functioning on one of the HDrives - using iBoot for Ivy Bridge on a CD, however it would not boot from the HD using Easybeast thereafter. Then I restored from my CCClone - external drive backup - to the same HD. That install seems to be functioning although I have not attempted to get the proper Video, Audio or wireless functioning.

Using Disk Utility from within that install, I formatted the second drive - and attempted to use my Unibeast prepped USB stick to install Mountain Lion. It got to the part where it wants to reboot and then when it attempts to do so I get a Kernel Panic error. I have no idea what to do from here !

MY FIRST QUESTION is - with the hardware I have, will Snow Leopard actually USE the 32 GB of Ram I have, even though it only shows 4GB in the "about this Mac" - it does all show under the hardware list for the memory.

MY SECOND QUESTION - what would I need to do to get that drive to boot into that install of Snow Leopard.

My THIRD QUESTION - what would I need to do to get Mountain Lion installed and functioning ?

Many thanks for input if you have some.

Ruth

Ruth
One issue that many don't understand is that the hardware of today is not compatible w OSX Snow Leopard - So even though you have been able to install SL it will not boot from HD - you will need to use the special CD - iBoot for Ivy Bridge - available in downloads and boot from this CD each time (this becomes the HD boot loader ) Also you may need to remove the GFX card as the Ivy Boot CD will use the onboard GFX of the CPU ( provided its a HD 3000/4000).
You will also not get results with MultiBeast (bootloader) - so whats needs to happend is to get you to install OSX from the Apple DVD upgraded to one of the last Combo Updates that the App store supports - which at one time was 10.6.6 10.6.7 10.6.8 - Not sure what is the status of what the App store supports for OSX 10.6 - so getting your hack to that level is what needed. Again using the iBoot Cd to boot your computer - each time!
Once at this level you will need to purchase the ML version and make the UnitBeast Flash Drive to do the ML install. Once that is done you can then boot from the USB drive and install ML .

Suggest you use only SATA 2.0 port for install - but if these are the two ports included Z77 chipset then they should also work. The 3rd party sata should be left alone until after completion.

Removing the video card is also recommended as this has issues as well w SL install. use the DVi-D connector on the MB.

Ruth
One issue that many don't understand is that the hardware of today is not compatible w OSX Snow Leopard - So even though you have been able to install SL it will not boot from HD - you will need to use the special CD - iBoot for Ivy Bridge - available in downloads and boot from this CD each time (this becomes the HD boot loader ) Also you may need to remove the GFX card as the Ivy Boot CD will use the onboard GFX of the CPU ( provided its a HD 3000/4000).
You will also not get results with MultiBeast (bootloader) - so whats needs to happend is to get you to install OSX from the Apple DVD upgraded to one of the last Combo Updates that the App store supports - which at one time was 10.6.6 10.6.7 10.6.8 - Not sure what is the status of what the App store supports for OSX 10.6 - so getting your hack to that level is what needed. Again using the iBoot Cd to boot your computer - each time!
Once at this level you will need to purchase the ML version and make the UnitBeast Flash Drive to do the ML install. Once that is done you can then boot from the USB drive and install ML .

Suggest you use only SATA 2.0 port for install - but if these are the two ports included Z77 chipset then they should also work. The 3rd party sata should be left alone until after completion.

Removing the video card is also recommended as this has issues as well w SL install. use the DVi-D connector on the MB.

I have the same exact issue.

Problem is that you can't go login into the appstore using the iboot ivy bridge CD. At the appstore, it complaint that "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

Tried adding the flag "EthernetBuiltIn=Yes" at boot. Ethernet works, but it still complaint computer cannot be verified.

This started with 10.6.8.

Looks like I figured it out. I brought a realtek PCI ethernet card and use that instead of the ethernet on the motherboard. Reinstalled SL from the beginning and add "PCIRootUID=0" and "EthernetBuiltIn=Yes" at the iboot prompt. I can now log into app store and download yosemite. Will proceed with the next step to create a USB EFI boot so I can install yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back