Contribute
Register

Slow Boot time with Samsung 960 Evo NVME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi RehabMan

Please find the attached.

Grateful for any advice.

Way too many "fixes" in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes. Remove all or set false. Enable only those that you know what they do and why they are necessary.

Also, CPU PM not implemented correctly (no SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh, NullCPUPowerManagement installed, etc).

Your ioreg shows no NVMe device... therefore I think your post here in this thread is off-topic.

You should probably also install to HFS+J instead of APFS.

And config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be "Detect".

Hi Rehabman,

I experience slow boot on my 960 NVME after upgrading to HS (APFS).
Enclosed all required files. (Pressing F2 & F4 didn't show any feedback at clover boot screen)

thank you for your time.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • IOReg.zip
    708.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Terminal Saved Output.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 73
  • RehabMan.zip
    51.1 KB · Views: 69
Getting Similar problem on both high Sierra and Mojave its been a while it was only common on APFS now also on HFS I did try two different NVME drives I used Samsung 960EVO I originally had heard this have problematic firmware but is not this the case I got one new 970 Evo from my work to check if was working and speeds are alright but boot times and certain log in areas are not Strange hangs on Second boot stage and I never had this problem on early Mac osx version all this became a thing after 10.12.6 I guess siera was the last Mac osx I enjoyed using without any problems.. Maybe if someone has any idea what the cause of this small but annoying problem is let me know

Attachments

• debug_31601.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 90
I had HFS+ on HS and boot time was super fast (~10sec) on Samsung 960EVO 500GB.
When i tried to upgrade to Mojave beta* boot time was ~55sec so i used CCC to restore Mojave to HFS+ but...
Latest stable 10.14 released so when i installed it over beta i realized only after a couple of days that upgrade converted it again to APFS but now it works fine. Boot time is around 15sec from Apple logo (still too long because of GPU problems). No more hanging on "HID: Legacy shim 2"(maybe one sec in verbose mode).
Disk speed is faster too ~1760MB/s W and ~2580MB/s R ;)

On my setup I did switch back to aan earlier (first) version of apfs.efi (10.3.0). That fixes boot time for me. As with Apfsloader it takes about 10 seconds between BIOS and Apple logo it's now directly BIOS right than Apple logo. So there has something been added to apfs.efi which is harmful to NVMe drives. I had a SM961 256GB and now the 970 EVO with 500GB. As the apfs.efi driver is only needed to be able to boot that should be fine.

Edit: B.t.w. I always clone my drive with Superduper to a 500GB 850 EVO drive in my system. When I boot that clone with Apfsloader.efi it does show the Apple logo right after the BIOS screen, but actually the NVMe drive is faster when I compare the load time in the small bar which appears at boot.

Last edited:
I did switch back to aan earlier (first) version of apfs.efi (10.3.0)
Hi @GeraldB, I also note a slower boot (15 sec more) since I moved to a 970 NVME from a 850 SATA using CCC.
It is mainly "HID: Legacy shim 2" step that hangs with NVME (was not with SATA drive)
Do not know where this come from ... maybe from NVME or the fact I now got 4 drives in my rig (1 NVME, 1 SSD SATA for W10, 1 SSD SATA for CC backup / data and 1 HD SATA for time machine and data backup)

Previous posts here indicates that switching to HF+ solved this - but I would prefer staying APFS since everything else is working nice and fast (and 15 sec more for boot is not a big deal in my use).

What is your HS version you can run with the 10.3.0 apfs.efi with no issue ?
(was thinking not matching the HS version with the clover apfs.efi version leads to issues ?)

Last edited:
Hi favority, I use the apfs.efi from 10.13.0 and have done the hack to get non verbose version with terminal.
This works in terminal:
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x00\x74\x07\xb8\xff\xff|\x00\x90\x90\xb8\xff\xff|sg' /path/to/your/APFS.efi
All this you can find in this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-current-and-past-apfs-efi-downloads.236103/page-1.
The version of apfs.efi in Clover EFI has no influence on the version of apfs that is used in the running macOS. In macOS a apfs driver is loaded from Extensions. The apfs.efi file is only used foor to be able to find bootx64.efi to start up macOS.
Sure, the Applesupport package makes booting more secure. But we also use HFS driver from Virtualbox for years. May be there is already a Virtualbox efi driver for apfs too?
Anyway, the version I have written works without delay in boot time. Enjoy your NVMe drive on apfs!

Noted - thanks for the explanation @GeraldB !

Got two more questions :
1) The thread you have mentioned suggests to switch to ApfsDriverLoader.efi (the one I use) to automatically get apfs.efi.
When you add the 10.13.0 apfs.efi version do you let ApfsDriverLoader.efi in clover folder or do you remove it ?
2) Since clover apfs.efi version has no influence on macOS running it can not involved in a slowest OS progression load bar with NVME ? ("HID: Legacy shim 2" step is hanging for around 10 sec in my case )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back