Contribute
Register

Slow Boot time with Samsung 960 Evo NVME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problems:
- might try an HFS+J install instead of APFS
After you said that I turn to the HFS+J but still my NVME is slow. I attached my new files?

Note; You will see TRIM is yes but I already tried yes/no it doesnt change anything. And I did not change anything on BIOS. Maybe this last update change something?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2 MB · Views: 190
Thank you @knoopx
Your solution, cloning the partition, worked great without any hassle.
Since I don't use two partitions on my Samsung 960 EVOs, I used another SATA-SSD via USB3.0 Diskstation to clone from NVMe, boot with the SATA-SSD, completely reformat the NVMe and clone back the stuff from the SATA-SSD...
It is necessary to also mount the EFIs of both disks to copy the contents from NVMe to SATA and back to NVMe...

Now my boot time is back to around 15 sec instead of 50 to 55...

Good Job and great inspiration...
Thanks again ... :)

Okay, I'm struggling with the same slow boot issue but it's also taking out my audio in the process.

I've been able to solve the problem (for a while) with a clean install but it keeps popping back up.

Here's my question is the HFS+J a viable long term solution? If I'm doing a clean install do I need to go the cloning route or is there a way to format and install on a NVME in one shot? Thanks!

I have a slow boot problem on 10.13.2. Is this the correct thread to report it on?

I have attached all the requested reporting files using the tool supplied in
GENERATE PROPER PROBLEM REPORTING FILES

If I select the install disk with the standard boot flags, as shown in attachments, boot-args='dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1' it takes 5 minutes to boot. The devices, audio, graphics, WiFi, BT all appear to be working.

BUT

If I boot with the -v option I see streams of messages 'Gfx firmware load process..... doing retry ##' . where ## is a number that repeats from 1 to 50, in 3 loops before failing. When the OS finally boots the Nvidia graphics has failed and the display is running under the 'OS X Default Graphics Driver'

If I boot WITHOUT the -v flag the NVidia Graphics loads the correct driver. But the boot takes 5 minutes.

Anyone any idea what is going on? Is the slow boot the Samsung EVO NVME problem? Why is the -v option displaying that message repeatedly? Why can't I find the text of these messages in any /System log?

Thanks

Attachments

• debug_16516.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 232
Anyone any idea what is going on? Is the slow boot the Samsung EVO NVME problem? Why is the -v option displaying that message repeatedly? Why can't I find the text of these messages in any /System log?

Is this thread dead? Am I in the wrong place?

ACPI/patched is out of sync with native.
Note different SystemMemory addresses:
Code:
SPEEDY-NUC:origin rehabman$ diff ../origin/ ../patched/ |grep SystemMemory
<     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x8A860000, 0x06B3)
>     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x8A899000, 0x06B3)
<                 OperationRegion (CPSB, SystemMemory, 0x89FDFF98, 0x10)
>                 OperationRegion (CPSB, SystemMemory, 0x8A018F98, 0x10)
<                 OperationRegion (XMIO, SystemMemory, Local0, 0x9000)

I really want to know more about this. I’ve seen a couple of guides but nothing in the way of diagnosing any particular issues.

My Mac is 100% functional one booted. Only issue is a slow booting time.

Where could I read up on diagnosing this sort of issue?

I really want to know more about this. I’ve seen a couple of guides but nothing in the way of diagnosing any particular issues.

My Mac is 100% functional one booted. Only issue is a slow booting time.

Where could I read up on diagnosing this sort of issue?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back