Contribute
Register

Slow boot after Sonoma update, no Wifi, no working ports.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Recently I thought that Sonoma was causing a black screen of my hack, but it turns out it loads extremely slow.

It takes a few minutes to start the OS, after that the OS speed is working properly, Final Cut Pro is rendering fast.

The shutdown process also takes long time.

Unfortunately:
-I don't have a Wifi but I do have ethernet, I have an external WiFi card
-I cannot see my other SSD on which I have Windows, which I saw on Ventura
-My external SSD which is connected via type-c cable isn't showing.
-My external HDD which is connected with a front type-a is also not showing.
-My SSD is Samsung 970 EVO, and this is why I use the SetApfsTrimTimeout = 0, which did fix the slow boot in a previous version.

These are the issues with which I'm familiar at this moment.

I'm running the latest O.C. 0.9.5, and I did a sanity checker and found no critical issues.

I'm currently searching for some kind of solutions one by one through Google but I'll be more than glad if you guys can point me to the right direction.

Attachments

• opencore-2023-10-08-212200.txt
    256 KB · Views: 17
  • EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 22
My SSD is Samsung 970 EVO
Buy a new WD NVMe, clean install Sonoma and then compare it to your current drive's performance. It appears that for many people, installing Sonoma makes the Samsung incompatibility problems worse. Not likely that Samsung will ever fix the macOS issues their drives have.

If you're using a Broadcom Wifi/BT card there's a long convoluted procedure using OCLP to get that working.
If it's a Realtek based USB Wifi adapter then you could use Chris1111's kext method to get it working again.

Last edited:
I need to get my ports working in order to make a backup and install a fresh ventura.

I need to get my ports working in order to make a backup and install a fresh ventura.
your info.plist in your USBPorts.kext says iMac19,1

and yet you are using iMac20,1 in your config.plist

best to re read up on:
and make sure your ports are setup correct

The reason your USB ports may not be working is because -

You have iMac19,1 set in your USBPorts.kext

but ...

iMac20,1 set in your config.plist.

They should be the same.

:)

best to re read up on:
and make sure your ports are setup correct

Hi old chum!! :D

I read somewhere to try with iMac20,1 I returned it to 19,1 with no success, I'm currently uploading my backup on a server via cable and will try to go back to Ventura :)

I read somewhere to try with iMac20,1 I returned it to 19,1 with no success, I'm currently uploading my backup on a server via cable and will try to go back to Ventura :)
info.plist from USBPorts.kext and config.plist settings needs to be the same

-My SSD is Samsung 970 EVO, and this is why I use the SetApfsTrimTimeout = 0, which did fix the slow boot in a previous version.
This option has never been a reliable fix for trim stalls. Spaceman trim runs sometimes regardless of this setting.

Not likely that Samsung will ever fix the macOS issues their drives have.
It's not even known that Samsung is doing something wrong. All that's known is that's there's a compatibility problem.

If you're using a Broadcom Wifi/BT card there's a long convoluted procedure using OCLP to get that working.
The process is not convoluted, nor especially long. It boils down
- Disable SIP and Inject older networking and AMFI work-around kexts via OC
- Add patches to /Library/Extensions via OCLP post install
By standards of hackintosh it's not a big deal. There were some prolonged threads where confusion about links to needed pre-release of OCLP and ordinary configuration errors made it the approach seem very cumbersome.

Great catch. SMBIOS in map kext must agree with chosen system definition config.plist. It has been previously working by accident. Getting port mapping straightened out will resolve USB issues.

Back