Contribute
Register

Sleep - General Troubleshooting Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sleep issue which has been driving me nuts and I don't know how to fix it. Any and all help is appreciated. When I put my rig to sleep, I here the hard drives spin down, the screen goes black, but the power supply keeps feeding power to all the other components. The only way to wake it up is to reset the rig. Would someone mind helping me out? I am using a C2Q on an EP43-UD3L, Zotac GTX 560 1GB, and using a DSDT I made following the guide in the DSDT section.

Do you have speedstepper

Guys, make sure you only have the 1st three items checked in the System Preferences > Energy Saver.

I have and I still can't get it working properly, used to work fine in SL

Sleep worked fine for me in SL.
With user dsdt with everything mostly vanilla except that I had to rollback to 10.6.7 io80211family.kext in order to get my broadcom wifi working again (thanks apple for removing in lion!).

However, sleep doesnt work properly in lion when i have wifi enabled with the rolled back kext. Everything powers down but final step of light and PS fan shutting down doesnt happen, and gets hung into partial sleep. If I disable wifi, sleep/resume works normally.

I suspect it has something to do with my rolledback 10.6 kext, and perhaps I should be rolling back a few other kexts to match..

Todesto, I have the same board... and I have maybe a similar issue. When I got my basic build done, sleep worked perfectly. Then I add a case mounted sata drive sled, that holds a single 2.5 or 3.5 drive. I found that a drive had to be installed at boot for it to be mounted, so I went into the bios and enabled hot swap on that sata port. The result was, I could now install the drive after boot, but could only mount the same drive during a session. So which ever drive mounted first was the only one that would mount until reboot.

So back to the sleep issue, with hot swap enabled and the drive mounted, my computer will sleep, but wake up spins my CPU fan to full speed, as it does at reboot, but then hangs up. I need to power it off and re-boot. I just disabled hot swap on the drive and sleep/wake is right back to normal.

On a GA-X58A-UD3R I have a couple observations. I've spent a lot of time messing around with sleep because I like the system to sleep when I'm not using it, but I want to be able to wake it remotely for the Plex server I run on it.

1. Back to my Mac seems to totally trash my Hack's ability to sleep automatically. With BTMM enabled, I can only sleep it if I use the menu command, and even so, it will randomly wake up and never return to sleep. With BTMM disabled, it sleeps from the menu, it sleeps after inactivity, it sleeps on schedule, and it stays slept.

2. I like to use WOL to wake my Hack remotely. I have found on my rev 1.0 F6 board that WOL is very finicky. It'll be working on my Lion partition, I'll reboot, and WOL will stop working. I have to shut it down, clear the CMOS using the button on the back, load optimized defaults, and manually edit the BIOS back. I haven't determined if it's strictly a Lion to ML reboot problem, or if I can just load my saved CMOS settings, but for now, the safe play is to clear and manually reset each setting.

Good luck to those that desire sleep/WOL nirvana. The latest Multibeast with the TonyMac DSDT for my board, ALC 889 audio and lnx2Mac 0.0.90 ethernet is running perfectly.

GA-Z77X-UD5H with i7-2600k under ML 10.8.1
Installation without DSDT and only FakeSMC.kext, SSDT & boot.plist & SMBIOS (12.1) in extra, fix for audio, and additionnal drivers (Networks, Aditionnal SATA, PCIe NEC USB3, printer...), HD6870 and Bluetooth (usb for magic pad) are working OOB. No problem, all what I use is working well (even overclocked).
The system is going to sleep (from power switch), then 5/10s after it is waking up and going to screen sleep but running (fans are up again).
It is waking up with keyboard normally after screen sleep. If I send it to sleep again, it is reproducing the same problem but never hanging up.
I am not experienced in Sleep/Wake, it is my first build (nearly) working in term of Sleep/Wake...
Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Check out this thread on Sandy Bridge USB Wake From Sleep DSDT Fix - Testing Thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50063

My system goes to sleep and wakes up at a press of key or mouse, except that I have to unplug/plug the Apple USB keyboard to make it work. I tried to take a look at topic you suggested but it's on the legacy site which I cannot access. Is there a solution to this problem on Lion 10.7.2?

[SOLVED] Just don't use keyboard for waking up the system and you're fine. :lol:

GA-Z77X-UD5H with i7-2600k under ML 10.8.1
Installation without DSDT and only FakeSMC.kext, SSDT & boot.plist & SMBIOS (12.1) in extra, fix for audio, and additionnal drivers (Networks, Aditionnal SATA, PCIe NEC USB3, printer...), HD6870 and Bluetooth (usb for magic pad) are working OOB. No problem, all what I use is working well (even overclocked).
The system is going to sleep (from power switch), then 5/10s after it is waking up and going to screen sleep but running (fans are up again).
It is waking up with keyboard normally after screen sleep. If I send it to sleep again, it is reproducing the same problem but never hanging up.
I am not experienced in Sleep/Wake, it is my first build (nearly) working in term of Sleep/Wake...
Any idea? Thanks in advance.

GA-H77M-D3H (DSDT-free installation), almost same behavior, goes sleep (from power switch, keyboard or via menu) switches off all the fans/lights and then in 5 sec wakes up again. I've checked with watt meter, it definitely goes into less than 2 Watts mode, but for some reason wakes up immediately... I've checked with Ubuntu LiveUSB, with Linux standby mode works as expected, so, the issue seems to be OSX86-specific...

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back