Contribute
Register

SL 10.6.8 on Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with Win 7 and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
zibou76 said:
Hello Steve,
i have a little situation with the webcam it's recognized (system information)but not working, no light turn on.
i have dell xps l501x core i7-740qm, nvidia gt435m 2gb, chameleon v2.1svn 1806.
Any idea about it?

Well, no. Mine works OOB - is your issue FACETIME related? Do you have a iCloud support?

Steve

StarbucksSteve said:
No deep sleep yet; display sleep works only, as far as I know. I leave my machine running 24x7 so I don't really mind but I have tried from time to time to fix it - no go.

I am running LION 10.7.3 but a few comments:
1) Have you tailored your SMBios? You need to do this; match your CPU to a MBP
2) Do you run NullCPUPowerManagement? You need to not run this; make the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement mods

Could you be a little more specific about the device-prop issue(s)? I have good video and cpu acceleration so I'm not clear what your saying ...

Steve

Steve,

I forgot to mention that i am running the A16 bios.

I did modify SMBIOS to be a MBP 8,3 . Did not realize that you can match at a cpu level. I will look in this further.

I do not have nullcpupowermanagement and i did mod AICPM. I think the sleep behaviour appears to be same as yours.

When i set device-props, my screen goes entirely blank after initial boot screen. I have to remove that from the plist to boot normally.

Now that you posted a A16 DSDT , i will give that a shot and try the device-props again.

Thanks

Edit: I just realized that your A16 DSDT matches my A16 DSDT exactly. So it did not make any difference.

I am wondering if dell has any minor video card differences in the recent laptops when they changed the CPU lineup recently.

here is my hardware ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DD6&SUBSYS_04B71028&REV_A1

ravic said:
StarbucksSteve said:
No deep sleep yet; display sleep works only, as far as I know. I leave my machine running 24x7 so I don't really mind but I have tried from time to time to fix it - no go.

I am running LION 10.7.3 but a few comments:
1) Have you tailored your SMBios? You need to do this; match your CPU to a MBP
2) Do you run NullCPUPowerManagement? You need to not run this; make the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement mods

Could you be a little more specific about the device-prop issue(s)? I have good video and cpu acceleration so I'm not clear what your saying ...

Steve

Steve,

I forgot to mention that i am running the A16 bios.

I did modify SMBIOS to be a MBP 8,3 . Did not realize that you can match at a cpu level. I will look in this further.

I do not have nullcpupowermanagement and i did mod AICPM. I think the sleep behaviour appears to be same as yours.

When i set device-props, my screen goes entirely blank after initial boot screen. I have to remove that from the plist to boot normally.

Now that you posted a A16 DSDT , i will give that a shot and try the device-props again.

Thanks

Edit: I just realized that your A16 DSDT matches my A16 DSDT exactly. So it did not make any difference.

I am wondering if dell has any minor video card differences in the recent laptops when they changed the CPU lineup recently.

here is my hardware ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DD6&SUBSYS_04B71028&REV_A1

Nope same here ... stopped using the device properties with the same issue - it worked for about 2-3 weeks and then went solid black. I get accelerated video by simply editing the AGPM info.plist and copying one the of the MacbookPro6,2 nVidia entries (I use A29) using the PlistEdit Pro.app and modifying the name to DD6 like this:

AGPM.png

Steve

You can put it in the MBP8,1 and 8,3 the same way so you can change the target until you find the best match. I use the 8,2 because the 8,2 used the i7-2635QM and my CPU is the i7-2630QM which is virtually identical.

Attachments

• AGPM.png
    AGPM.png
    108 KB · Views: 243
Awesome, that helps. I am trying it now.

Edit:
I followed your guide from the original post to edit AGPM before. So i already had QE/CI enabled.

I did not know if we were to get any additional power management with the device-prop. In any case QE/CI still works and all is good now.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Guys...
Something in me rode me to install the Update to 10.7.3 -.-
After updating i get a Kernel panik because of intelCPUPowerManagement.
Somebody any idea?! Or should i just restore to 10.7.2?

Thanks for your efforts
Greets
iTechMo

iTechMo said:
Hi Guys...

Thanks for your efforts
Greets
iTechMo

Instructions for update are pointed to on page one of this thread. You will need to either (1) install NullCPUManagement, (2) edit the AICPUM kext directly or (3) edit the patcher which is what I do. Search on, and replace at, addresses supplied using 0xED.app

Steve

Steve,

Does screen brightness adjustment work for you?
I found a DSDT tweak but it seems to work only on laptops with intel integrated graphics.
I could not find one for nvidia graphics.
In fact i dont even know if it is related to the graphics card.

I am actually just looking for a slider in the display properties. Does not even have to be the quickset buttons.

I think screen is very bright and also consumes a lot of battery power.

Thanks
ravic

StarbucksSteve said:
iTechMo said:
Hi Guys...

Thanks for your efforts
Greets
iTechMo

Instructions for update are pointed to on page one of this thread. You will need to either (1) install NullCPUManagement, (2) edit the AICPUM kext directly or (3) edit the patcher which is what I do. Search on, and replace at, addresses supplied using 0xED.app

Steve

Would It be possible to send me the patched Speedstepper for 10.7.3?
Thanks for your efforts :)

Re: Help with second XPS purchase please

Hey Steve,

... stuff removed ...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my plea for help as I've been going around in circles with this Optimus machine with a glimpse of hope that I might be able to get it 100% Mac, if you think you can help with any of my questions, please don't hesitate to reply,

ssgoku129

All laptops are science experiments. Every manufacturing run of MB's is different and sometimes those differences can be enough to make a functional difference. My early 2011 SB HM67 chipset w/GT550M works great but I have the 3D screen so the nVidia is locked on - the HDMI functions but NO 3D support as that requires drivers for functionality not supported, as would your TV card, and yes, the TV card would fill your slots. We have issues with audio in 'exactly the same' laptops - mine works great others cannot get it to work, same cards, same revisions, different results. So I have no guarantee for you except I'll help as much as I can. My DSDT has no video mods so, if you are actually running my DSDT your GT555 would not be affected. I have native 1920x1080p resolution on my monitor and I drive a second screen at the same resolution. i still get the occasional video freeze, they seem to come in little groups of two or three and then go away for days to weeks; my 13" MBP does the same thing although much less often. Current Novabench is 904 - I had 1020 but it ran so hot that I backed it off as I run my laptop like a desktop 24 hours a day and 85C was just a little warm. I currently see from 60 to 75C under normal strain as I run (1) the BOINC client at 80% on all 4 (8T) CPU's 24 hours a day and (2) Earth 3D on my main screen as it seems to mitigate the video freezes some. I do not use sleep so I haven't worked on it much - I hear some folks claim to have it working but I have not been successful. I use VB for my occasional forays into Windows XP; you cannot use Boot Camp.

Steve

Re: Help with second XPS purchase please

StarbucksSteve said:
Hey Steve,

... stuff removed ...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my plea for help as I've been going around in circles with this Optimus machine with a glimpse of hope that I might be able to get it 100% Mac, if you think you can help with any of my questions, please don't hesitate to reply,

ssgoku129

All laptops are science experiments.

Steve

Awesome dude, I appreciate the swift reply... I'm pretty aware of what's going on graphically.. It's just this whole hackintosh scene is fairly new to me, so the DSDT is something I haven't given any time to for the sole reason that I'm a student and I know if I jump into the DSDT's now, It's going to bite me in the ass at mid-terms.

With that said, I modified my bus ratio (though I tend to find without it runs best) for my 2670QM but cosmetics aside, should I be concerned with editing my DSDT for the Processor?

I got a Buffalo ABGN and I'm having fun modifying the RA Link Airport Utility to feel more mac-ish plus 4 USBs on this beast, the internal perk isn't a major concern for me (plus I like having the ability to remove it in Windows). Google Chrome works super swell I find though my magic mouse + safari / stumble = epic.

Do you have 2 finger scroll working? Would you happen to know if said users used SleepEnabler? I'm pretty sure the only reason I can't sleep yet is the non-3D but as for the audio, I did have a major hard time getting it set up and now I'm crossing my fingers it's stays until the 3D model arrives.

I suggest doing the following, cause VoodooHDA will work (with the occasional KP) but we want your driver to work:

1. Remove all modified audio kexts. Reboot. Install VoodooHDA, (should activate), check system preferences, reboot. (might KP) reboot. Test sound, hear fuzz, check system preferences.. should have all inputs, If only one, Install Your modified kexts (please have all windows including Trash closed!!!.. why? Trash activates the sound by simply launching it and while both your kexts and Voodoo are installed.. it'll start your sound drivers and for sure cause a KP.. even closing an Opened trash will do the same) Reboot into Windows and remove VoodooHDA from S/L/E... make sure your E/E has no audio! You'll probably KP, reboot and you should be 95% sound-hassle free!

Although this method has worked for me, I've obviously got lots of projects which lead me to constant TM restoring and occasionally I've found this to fail to, so if the above does that work for those with audio trouble, try this but keep in mind you got to make or have a backup on Time Machine!:

2. I did this about two weeks ago and haven't had a single problem with audio since and the difference with having your kext is phenomenal compared to the bass-less limited sounding HDA which many may have resorted to. SO... Remove all audio modified Kexts however you prefer, verify nothing is in E/E. Install VoodooHDA and reboot until your back in your mac... Now be cautious, KPs are very easy to trigger if we have a ton of running apps so quit everything you can, Remove VoodooHDA using Finder or Terminal and install the right Kexts (pray now). Being very careful not to KP, don't open your Trash! run Time Machine Backup and cross your fingers until its successful. Reboot to Repair Partition (if you have) or use rBoot iBoot, whatever you used to install and restore your backup from Time Machine.. When you reboot, open Trash and hear the little *blep* as your audio becomes active! I did not have to install your kexts again but I did anyway just to be safe, and backed up.. since I got an SSD, restoring the drive is about 20 minutes, (User directory on MBR partition as HFS part) but this should hopefully get your audio working as long as no conflicting drivers exist (may include VoodooHDA prefpane,etc).

Hope that helps! I can't wait to get out of this OptiNightmare and have a mouth-watering dedicated GPU for benchmarking performance even when I don't need it... Linux/BumbleBee/NvidiaGT555M is maybe fun for the first distro but when you try all the same procedures on the next, and have an array of errors incomparable to the first.. It just becomes tedious IMHO. Ahh I could care less for 3d though, just another gimmick to push technology to a marketable price, maybe when my images are projected SW style, then It'll spark my interest but I just want to have glorious graphical freedom.

Would it be hard for me to modify the SMbios for 3GB instead of 1GB of video-ram? do you think it even matters if I do?

Thanks for the help man, it's much appreciated... I'll do some benchmarking as soon as I got it running 100%

I am running LION 10.7.3 ... for video, there are no SMBios mods needed other than picking the right combination of serial number and machine type you're going to use. What I do is edit the AGPM kext's info.plist and find a compatible card in a previous model; I use the ...A29 child in the MacbookPro6,2 and copy that entry to the MacbookPro8,2 entry (I use the A29 as it is the same basic nVidia card design and driver as the GT55x's and I use the MBP8,2 as it had a i7-2635 which is essentially my 2630) and change the name from ...a29 to ...dd6 which is my GT550 card. Instant accelerated graphics, no DSDT mods, no SMBios mods, no boot.plist device-prop mods. I also installed the nVidia GPU support so my BOINC process could use the GPU's.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back