Graphics
Intel HD 5500
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
LION 10.7.1 installed successfully; reapply your AppleHDA.kext from my guide to restore sound. I also removed modifications in the DSDT for LPCB, SBUS, EHC1 and EHC2 as the A12 Bios has us nearly to vanilla - yea!

More info and kexts here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23185&start=190 (now 10.7.2) - Current NOVABENCH 1020

All LION 10.x.x SpeedStepper modification instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23185&p=349402#p349402

The A16 BIOS is out ... DSDT located here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23185&p=299687#p299687

The attached zip file contains instructions (PDF), DSDT (source and binary) and kexts which will result in a Vanilla, 64-bit, SL 10.6.8 installation to run from a MBR disk on the Dell XPS 17 L702x. This is a Sandy Bridge machine; the install uses a second hard-drive (GUID) to leverage current day as well as the future (such as Lion; instructions NOT included).

I would appreciate feedback for errors and omissions; for example, I know already that I forgot to tell you to put back your extra memory once you are booting from the hard-drive.

The 4 included kexts have been passed unmodified so any authorship, copyright and/or acknowledgements are present; frankly, I take no credit in anything other than writing it down and testing it to insure accuracy. Literally hundreds of persons go unsung before us here in this effort; I would not be able to begin to do justice with any attempt at a list.

So a big 'Thank You!' to all and good luck with the install.

My hardware:
• i7-2630QM
• nVidia GT 550M w/1080p 3D LCD panel
• 640GB 7200 RPM (drive0)
• 500GB 7200 RPM (drive1)
• Blu-ray (RO), DVD-DL (RW)
• 8MB DDR3 (2 slots)
• DELL 1510 Wireless (working)
• Intel Centrino 1030N Bluetooth (working)
• Intel Centrino 1030N Wireless (not working)
• 2 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; HDMI (all working)
• MiniDisplayPort (untested)
• Realtek Ethernet Built-In (working)
• Intel (ALC665) Audio (works)
• nVidia Audio (not working yet so no HDMI audio)
• No 3D under SL yet
• No SD card reader yet

Steve

I've updated the PDF - just some clarifications (I use 'it' too often) and a DSDT warning for those who might not have matching machines.

A second edit:
First, Dell has released the A11 BIOS for our machines which reactivates the USB ports on boot. This modification revealed an error in the DSDT HPET edit which I have addressed. Second, the instructions have been improved to include directions to alter the 1063. and 1068. com.apple.Boot.plist when your busratio is not 20 ...

An update (StevesUpdate.zip) for accelerated video and correction of the SMBios Model number; zip contains instructions, files and gfxutil (used to build device-properties string data). This file does not contain the original files, instructions or kexts.

The A16 BIOS is out ... DSDT located here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23185&p=299687#p299687

The A12 Bios is out; here's the DSDT from it. I messed up and my previous A11 update used the A10 BIOS as a base so the USB ports were still flakey. This little update fixes that; we can now boot from a USB drive (from the Chimera boot loader) and I used the USB 3.0 ports to make a copy of my Lion install - it took 3 hours but never failed. The StevesUpdate.zip file now contains vanilla A12, update A12 source files and the updated binary. BE SURE TO RUN THE DELL WINDOWS BIOS UPDATE!

The DSDT guide is here (Steves DSDT Guide.zip) - have fun and good luck!
Steves DSDT Guide.zip

Attachments

• Steves.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,314
  • StevesUpdate.zip
    719.1 KB · Views: 913
  • Steves DSDT Guide.zip
    1 MB · Views: 1,075
I hadnt Tried this yet, no time from school. Cant wait to try it though! StarbuckSteve you are awesome! :headbang:

I will definitely try this on coming weekend. Thank you very much.

hey...

didn't see your post...

thanks...

will give it a go, looks good...

:thumbup:

where did you get your xps? there seems to bee several models of xps, the model you list seems to come with the 555 video card and 6 gb of ram instead of 8.

hi steve...

thanks for the great guide... :D

although i didn't follow it exactly how you described, just the important part relevant to my personal needs and type of i7 2630QM with HM65 chip based most onboard stuff...

the use of 2 hard drives and the dsdt for the computer you are working on makes things up and running so much faster...

now i am working on modifying existing apple kext files, which are supposed to be similar hardware, if not the same, just by adding in the id string...

if it is not apple, it is easy...

but apple uses pnp codes or weird get string numbers which don't match up from what is listed in IORegistry Explorer...

that and trying to find the right one's which tie it all together.... get the right one and it will lead you to the others... :)

i hope you don't mind i hotlinked your thread in mine...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24658

i think it can be done all with customized dsdt.aml's, somewhat simple with the editor...

but in the long run i think being able to ad your hardwares id to existing apple kext's will make things much more simple and rock solid...

i'm staying on 10.6.7 and fixing everything first... getting there... most is working, a few, more than half, and some are listed as functioning, but not tying in to the osx...

for instance, my camera is listed, but bombs when i open iPhoto... almost everything working on EHCI2 usb side is like that... wifi, camera, etc... just have to find that one kext file to mod to sync everything together... copy them down, then can update to anything, and just include id strings in existing kexts...

thanks for posting your method... help me out tons...

:thumbup:

hi steve...

thanks for updating...

i have found this still to be the best and easiest route in the long run... may be more time consuming in the first part but in the end the fastest...

i've updated your files with my info strings, does it matter the smbios string is not the actual macbook pro 8,3 bios string... if it does matter i have the info on all macbook pro 8,3 strings, hardware, software, everything... find a site that had a full dump from an 8,3 that had problems, got all the info and id's required for a true mbp 8,3...

i messed up my almost perfect 10.6.7 install, think i may just start with the .8 again as you mentioned the differences from the jump to .8...

i think i'll try unmodded 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 as my particular Toshiba gives fits into that transition with other patches installed...

either way, i'll find out eventually how to get rock solid 10.6.8 or 10.7 as it is comming out soon...

thanks for your efforts in taking the time to make a very nice detailed instructional pdf...

i hope others have been finding it as informative as i have... been posting your link to some posts... but as i can see by the downloads, not many are taking your advise and method and giving it a try...

nothing to lose buy trying it...

for me it is easier...

i should look and see what's in the dell.kext file, there might be things in there i could use...

i think i may have to make my own boot cd's with my own info to kickstart multicpu support in the installs with mbp 8,3 as the basis instead of the mb 3,1...

any ideas on how to see what's in the mkext file...???

another note: i'm bypassing all registration info by leaving it blank and just setting up the account name to login to... do you know if this has any relevant issues by doing so...

thanks again...

peace out...

:headbang:

hi steve...

just took a look at your dell.kext...

darn, good job...

if i gave you a dump of the HM65 hd audio, would you be willing to make a kext file for that...

that would be a big fix for allot of people out there...

i wouldn't know where to begin building a kext file for it...

or maybe a guide on making a kext file for unsupported hardware...

please let me know...

thanks...

:D

ahkbar said:
hi steve...

just took a look at your dell.kext...

darn, good job...

if i gave you a dump of the HM65 hd audio, would you be willing to make a kext file for that...

that would be a big fix for allot of people out there...

i wouldn't know where to begin building a kext file for it...

or maybe a guide on making a kext file for unsupported hardware...

please let me know...

thanks...

:D

Sorry but I got that text from a L701x install I did in March (that machine died on day 20 of Dell 21-day return policy so it went back to Dell). I did not do the work; the original is found on http://www.kexts.com/view/1008-alc665_upd.html.

Steve

Rankel said:
where did you get your xps? there seems to bee several models of xps, the model you list seems to come with the 555 video card and 6 gb of ram instead of 8.

This is a refurbished machine from Dell - I chose it because it has no Intel HD Video active; the 3D makes the nVidia chip 'always on' so to speak. The 550M has two memory slots :cry: , the 555M has four (theoretically).

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back