Register

Skylake Gaming Mini-ITX Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys! I'm currently looking to replace my old 21.5" iMac Late 2009 with a proper budget gaming rig. The only game I play is World of Warcraft and I'm having some questions which I hope you can answer. First of, will playing WoW in Mac decrease performance rather than Windows? How difficult will it be to install El Capitan? Is my build 95-100% compatible? If not, please suggest better component(s) for maximum compatibility and an effortless install. See a picture of my build below . Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 15.23.29.png

Last edited:
First of, will playing WoW in Mac decrease performance rather than Windows?
Yes

How difficult will it be to install El Capitan?
How do you measure difficulty ?

Is my build 95-100% compatible? If not, please suggest better component(s) for maximum compatibility and an effortless install.
The only effortless install is on a real Mac.

To quote RehabMan : "Hackintosh is not a right, it must be earned"

It would be helpful if you listed your parts rather than posting them in an image.

By effortless i mean as much plug and play as it can be, I know I'll have to go through a procedure to get it to work. Furthermore, would the decrease in performance be noticeable? Thanks. Here's the parts list :
1) Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi
2) CPU : Intel Core i5-6600K
3) RAM : Kingston HyperX FURY Black DDR4 Kit 2666MHz
4) SSD : Samsung SSD 850 EVO (Basic) Series
5) Case : Silverstone SST-RVZ02B
6) GPU : MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING 4G
7) PSU : Silverstone SST-SX600-G Strider Gold Series
8) CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-L9i

There is a really nice guide by ammulder for the Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wifi. If you do not plan to overclock that might be the way to go. For the Z170-model the USB ports may be different and you have some work to do. But apart apart from that, it should work fine.

No idea if your case works with your GPU, but that is independent of the OS you will install. It looks rather slim. If you look in the buyers guide, the suggested GPUs with a GTX 960 chip are EVGA and Gigabyte. Why not just pick one of those?

Depending on the other tasks you do with your hackintosh and your budget there are probably a few parts where you could save some money. I have an Intel Core i3-6100 dual core and a Sapphire R9 270X (which works flawless out of the box) and WoW would be no problem at all. I even play much more demanding games (although using Windows 10). Your PSU also looks a bit oversized if you do not plan to overclock.

This would be my (very personal, low budget) variant if you say you mainly play WoW:
1) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WiFi
2) CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
3) RAM: G.Skill Value 16GB DDR4 Kit 2133

Depending on the GPU you chose, an efficient PSU with 400-450W should be sufficient. Pick an SSD as large as possible if you take that case. Also make sure the CPU cooler fits into that case. Spending 90€ on a mini-ITX case for gaming purposes I would chose a larger case with better air flow. You would also be able to use a standard ATX sized PSU and spend a lot less on the PSU.

If your main goal is WoW (and similar games) with OS X, you can save at least 200€ on the build, maybe even more. That money would probably a lot better invested in a larger SSD depending on what you do with that computer.

Take this with a grain of salt. I am by far no expert. Here is the thread where I asked for help and got some valuable help. In the beginning, I planned this as a mac mini replacement but it turned out later (adding the R9 270X) that it makes for a great low budget gaming machine as well.

The guide was really great for me as a first time hackintosh user. Everything mentioned in the guide worked as supposed and everything went really smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back