Contribute
Register

Sierra on GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the symbol in the menubar is basically not a problem and ethernet still worked fine.
The issue with the graphics on the other hand was bad, because the NVidia Driver did no longer work at all, just the "native" one of macOS. So there was no acceleration and no support for my 4K display.

Are you using the correct SMBIOS an the patches to make the 9 nvidia series to work? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-with-macpro-6-1-or-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

In my case I had to apply the manual patch (I changed "Config 2" to "none" in my AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist, you first need to determine which board-id you're using... based in your SMBIOS config, in my case Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D). Then I reinstalled the kext, repaired permissions etc.... and on the next restart I had fully working GTX 970.

I
also needed the Core (former pixel clock 2) patch to get 2560x1440p resolution to work, I think it's also needed to get 4K resolution to work via HDMI!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this board supports USB Current Available above 500mA or the Extra Operating Current above 0mA? And if so how to turn this on?

Hey there, I've got a very similar system, and have been having a tough time getting Thunderbolt to work.
I figured I'd share my experience here to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions...

I have everything working properly except for Thunderbolt.
My understanding is that in order for TB to work, it has to first work with Windows.

I went through the steps posted here and there about installing the TBT FW update (and then running it manually); got to the grey updater screen and unplugged the machine for about a minute - to no avail. Windows seemed to see the Thunderbolt port (I was getting that "billboard device" thing), but whenever I'd try plugging anything into the StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter, Windows wouldn't recognize the device. (I tried several hard drives and other devices as well)

Then I noticed that there was a new version of the BIOS posted (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5901&dl=1&RWD=0#bios) - version F20 - so I figured I'd give it a try.

A few things moved around in the menus in the BIOS setup, and now the option for Thunderbolt (which was in the "peripherals" menu, I think) has completely disappeared!
The only mention of anything TB at all is in the BIOS menu, all the way at the bottom - "TBT USB3.1 Force Power" - and that doesn't seem to make any difference.

So now when I boot into Windows, it doesn't see anything.
I just tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 as a last-ditch effort, and now the TBT FW utility won't even install (the installer runs, but the files aren't in the Gigabyte folder in Programs x86).

I thought I might be able to roll back the BIOS to F5, and at least get back to where I was before, but apparently, this new firmware will not allow that.
So I seem to have made things worse. :(

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

thanks!

Where you able to get around some of the issues I mention? Is so how?

Where you able to get around some of the issues I mention? Is so how?
Can you be more specific?

Presently, I've given up on thunderbolt (after doing more research, it appears to be a lost cause for now).
My only other outstanding issue is a minor annoyance - my network drops for 3-5 seconds intermittently. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it, unfortunately, but it's tolerable.

Presently, I've given up on thunderbolt (after doing more research, it appears to be a lost cause for now).
My only other outstanding issue is a minor annoyance - my network drops for 3-5 seconds intermittently. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it, unfortunately, but it's tolerable.

• No WiFi (is the only option to replace the chip?)
  • No Bluetooth (is the only option to replace the chip?)
  • CPU Frequency (HWMonitor shows CPU jumping between 3.60GHz and 1.60Ghz)
  • New boot entry is added to boot options after EVERY reboot
    • I have tried removing the entries using clover at boot time but they keep comping back
    • https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/
    • I am running with only 1 SSD and no other drives.. so the redesign he mentions is already in effect
    • I am hoping to find a way to flash with F4 BIOS (it shipped with F5 which is not even listed as a option for BIOS update on their website for this mobo)
  • Sleep
    • Screen goes black but PC does not sleep
    • If it auto sleeps it wakes to a black screen that, hard reboot required

My network seems to work well (though I haven't used the hackintosh for more then 10-15 mins at a time).

• I have tried removing the entries using clover at boot time but they keep comping back
    • https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/
    • I am running with only 1 SSD and no other drives.. so the redesign he mentions is already in effect
    • I am hoping to find a way to flash with F4 BIOS (it shipped with F5 which is not even listed as a option for BIOS update on their website for this mobo)
  • Sleep
My network seems to work well (though I haven't used the hackintosh for more then 10-15 mins at a time).

Since I built my machine about a month ago, I've been unable to really spend a lot of time really pushing it and putting it through its paces. I got it up and running as best as I could, and then I got busy with a bunch of other things.

That all said, here's what I can tell you.

I did replace the included wireless card with the Broadcom (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JGFA50U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20), and have wifi working, but not bluetooth. I don't really use bluetooth for anything, so I haven't put any time into troubleshooting that. But to answer your question - yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to swap the card in order to get wireless to work.

My CPU (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559) has been running at an overclocked 4.6GHz with no issues yet; neither OS ten or Win 7 seem to report the actual clock speed accurately, but the BIOS does, so I'm pretty sure it's good.

Not sure what to tell you about the boot entry thing; mine has been working from the get-go, and I haven't had to touch it since setting it up.

I've never been a fan of sleeping my computers; I just have the display flick off after a few minutes of idle time. So I can't really help you there.

Not thunderbolt capable our mobo. At least it didn't get Gigabyte/Intel certification. USB 3.1 Type C kinda working here, though I've just been able to test it with USB 3.0 devices.

Hi All,

I have a new build I am trying to get running well.

My System:
Clover as bootloader

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 V1.0
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k
Memory: Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 16GB
Samsung 850 Evo Series 250GB
Using only onboard video

• BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    • LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
    • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • Peripherals:
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (if graphics card installed) or IGFX (otherwise)
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled
Current Issues I'm hoping for some suggestions on:
  • iMessage is not sending (though it sync up current messages after reboot), I know there are some posts about iMessage fix, I need to try these out still.
  • Sleep

Issues I had and resolved:
I still need to confirm USB 3.0 is working at full speeds. All my ports work fine.

There is not a whole lot of info on this motherboard and none for Sierra.
Right now I am thinking to try some of what is mention in these two posts (Sierra install on similar motherboard and El Capiten install on the same motherboard). But any specific suggestions for these issues on this motherboard for Sierra would be appreciated.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-10-12-asus-z170-pro-gaming-i5-6500-760gtx.201607/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-gigabyte-ga-z170n-gaming-5-mini-itx.199805/

I am still a noob to this and am trying to figure out / understand how to apply kext and aml.
Can you please attach me your config file from your efi partition. I have a similar built to yours and mine is stuffed. Thanks in advance.

Please share config file I am unable to get into the mac install screen (getting kernel panic halfway through mac icon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back