Sierra on GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I have a new build I am trying to get running well.

My System:
Clover as bootloader

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 V1.0
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k
Memory: Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 16GB
Samsung 850 Evo Series 250GB
Using only onboard video

• BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    • LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
    • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • Peripherals:
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (if graphics card installed) or IGFX (otherwise)
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled
Current Issues I'm hoping for some suggestions on:
  • No WiFi (is the only option to replace the chip?)
  • No Bluetooth (is the only option to replace the chip?)
  • CPU Frequency (HWMonitor shows CPU jumping between 3.60GHz and 1.60Ghz)
  • New boot entry is added to boot options after EVERY reboot
    • I have tried removing the entries using clover at boot time but they keep comping back
    • https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/
    • I am running with only 1 SSD and no other drives.. so the redesign he mentions is already in effect
    • I am hoping to find a way to flash with F4 BIOS (it shipped with F5 which is not even listed as a option for BIOS update on their website for this mobo)
  • iMessage is not sending (though it sync up current messages after reboot), I know there are some posts about iMessage fix, I need to try these out still.
  • Sleep
    • Screen goes black but PC does not sleep
    • If it auto sleeps it wakes to a black screen that, hard reboot required

Issues I had and resolved:
I still need to confirm USB 3.0 is working at full speeds. All my ports work fine.

There is not a whole lot of info on this motherboard and none for Sierra.
Right now I am thinking to try some of what is mention in these two posts (Sierra install on similar motherboard and El Capiten install on the same motherboard). But any specific suggestions for these issues on this motherboard for Sierra would be appreciated.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-10-12-asus-z170-pro-gaming-i5-6500-760gtx.201607/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-gigabyte-ga-z170n-gaming-5-mini-itx.199805/

I am still a noob to this and am trying to figure out / understand how to apply kext and aml.

Last edited:
Hello there! We have the same mobo, and I have some issues with it... specially with USB behavior. Did you manage to get your Type A and C USB 3.1 to work? Are you using any specific USB SSDT? Can you please share more details/files from your configuration? Thanks in advance!

Hey there, I've got a very similar system, and have been having a tough time getting Thunderbolt to work.
I figured I'd share my experience here to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions...

I have everything working properly except for Thunderbolt.
My understanding is that in order for TB to work, it has to first work with Windows.

I went through the steps posted here and there about installing the TBT FW update (and then running it manually); got to the grey updater screen and unplugged the machine for about a minute - to no avail. Windows seemed to see the Thunderbolt port (I was getting that "billboard device" thing), but whenever I'd try plugging anything into the StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter, Windows wouldn't recognize the device. (I tried several hard drives and other devices as well)

Then I noticed that there was a new version of the BIOS posted (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5901&dl=1&RWD=0#bios) - version F20 - so I figured I'd give it a try.

A few things moved around in the menus in the BIOS setup, and now the option for Thunderbolt (which was in the "peripherals" menu, I think) has completely disappeared!
The only mention of anything TB at all is in the BIOS menu, all the way at the bottom - "TBT USB3.1 Force Power" - and that doesn't seem to make any difference.

So now when I boot into Windows, it doesn't see anything.
I just tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 as a last-ditch effort, and now the TBT FW utility won't even install (the installer runs, but the files aren't in the Gigabyte folder in Programs x86).

I thought I might be able to roll back the BIOS to F5, and at least get back to where I was before, but apparently, this new firmware will not allow that.
So I seem to have made things worse. :(

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

thanks!

Hey there, I've got a very similar system, and have been having a tough time getting Thunderbolt to work.
I figured I'd share my experience here to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions...

I have everything working properly except for Thunderbolt.
My understanding is that in order for TB to work, it has to first work with Windows.

I went through the steps posted here and there about installing the TBT FW update (and then running it manually); got to the grey updater screen and unplugged the machine for about a minute - to no avail. Windows seemed to see the Thunderbolt port (I was getting that "billboard device" thing), but whenever I'd try plugging anything into the StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter, Windows wouldn't recognize the device. (I tried several hard drives and other devices as well)

Then I noticed that there was a new version of the BIOS posted (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5901&dl=1&RWD=0#bios) - version F20 - so I figured I'd give it a try.

A few things moved around in the menus in the BIOS setup, and now the option for Thunderbolt (which was in the "peripherals" menu, I think) has completely disappeared!
The only mention of anything TB at all is in the BIOS menu, all the way at the bottom - "TBT USB3.1 Force Power" - and that doesn't seem to make any difference.

So now when I boot into Windows, it doesn't see anything.
I just tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 as a last-ditch effort, and now the TBT FW utility won't even install (the installer runs, but the files aren't in the Gigabyte folder in Programs x86).

I thought I might be able to roll back the BIOS to F5, and at least get back to where I was before, but apparently, this new firmware will not allow that.
So I seem to have made things worse. :(

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

thanks!
Thunderbolt is not supposed to work in our mobos, Gigabyte never got it certified as Thunderbolt device. Just plain USB 3.1 - which doesn't work under Sierra by the way - or at least I haven't heard from anyone with our system who got it to work. It's sad to read Gigabyte's new BIOS prevents user from downgrading... I guess I'll keep my BIOS at F20b version for the moment.

Last edited:
Thunderbolt is not supposed to work in our mobos, Gigabyte never got it certified as Thunderbolt device. Just plain USB 3.1 - which doesn't work under Sierra by the way - or at least I haven't heard from anyone with our system who got it to work. It's sad to read Gigabyte's new BIOS prevents user from downgrading... I guess I'll keep my BIOS at F20b version for the moment.
Hey there. I updated my BIOS to that mentioned beta version F20b as well and did not have any issues downgrading again to that version 5 which is provided on the homepage.
Anyway, I experienced two issues with the beta version. On the hand hand the graphics card driver did no longer work (EVGA GTX 960) and on the other hand there was a new symbol in the menubar (I guess it was about the network card. Weird anyway).
Did you experience those issues as well or even solved them?

Hey there. I updated my BIOS to that mentioned beta version F20b as well and did not have any issues downgrading again to that version 5 which is provided on the homepage.
Anyway, I experienced two issues with the beta version. On the hand hand the graphics card driver did no longer work (EVGA GTX 960) and on the other hand there was a new symbol in the menubar (I guess it was about the network card. Weird anyway).
Did you experience those issues as well or even solved them?
I have a 970 GTX, and I haven't experienced the graphic problem. On the other hand I do have a ethernet symbol, but didn't know it was a problem. I've never touched it.... or may be I did, I "powered off" the ethernet card, and had to restart to get it back. I haven't payed it any attention since that. What is your problem exactly with the graphics card? did you check your BIOS config?

I have a 970 GTX, and I haven't experienced the graphic problem. On the other hand I do have a ethernet symbol, but didn't know it was a problem. I've never touched it.... or may be I did, I "powered off" the ethernet card, and had to restart to get it back. I haven't payed it any attention since that. What is your problem exactly with the graphics card? did you check your BIOS config?
Well the symbol in the menubar is basically not a problem and ethernet still worked fine.
The issue with the graphics on the other hand was bad, because the NVidia Driver did no longer work at all, just the "native" one of macOS. So there was no acceleration and no support for my 4K display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back