Contribute
Register

Sierra on an Asus ROG G751JY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus laptops are not so easy projects, did you get trackpad functionality? If it's I2C check out VoodooI2C, worked great to have basic trackpad functionality. The problem I still have in my laptop is sleep/wake closing the lid, and rebooting after deep sleep.
Also, you said you have an Nvidia 980m (mine has 960m), but isn't that not functional because of Optimus? I'm just keeping it disabled without drivers.
I do not have Optimus - Asus disabled the CPU graphics totally - 980M is all I have. Unfortunately, I have had no time to work with it since the initial install.

Finally got around to working with this laptop again. Clean install of Sierra 10.12.1.
Things done:
Installed Clover, used KextBeast to install FakeSMC, Realtek8111, ran Clover Configurator to get SMBIOS added to config.plist, removed kexts from Clover/kexts.
After making certain the config.plist had no DSDT/SSDT "fixes", rebooted to Clover and F4 to get ACPI dump to Clover/ACPI/origin
Copied the Origin folder to a backup drive and deleted the contents in the Clover folder.
Followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/. to create PM SSDT and add it to Clover/ACPI/Patched
Copied the DSDT and SSDT files to yet another folder so they were all together.
Followed this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/ - for the following:
Downloaded patchmatic / patches / MacIASL and disassembled the native files.
SSDT-0 - seems to be for SATA - compiles with a couple of warnings
SSDT-1 is CPU related with 16 Syntax errors - seems one section was copied 16 times with wrong spacing. First tried to make spacing match, still errors, so tried deleting the extra copies - SSDT compiled with 3 warnings.
SSDT-2 is also CPU related - compiles with warning
SSDT-6 is SATA related and compiles OK
SSDT-7 is \_SB.PCIO = graphics and contains PEG0, PEG1, PEG2, BOD3, GFX0 - compiles OK
SSDT-8 is CPU Power management related and compiles OK
SSDT-9 is also CPU related - \_PR.CPU0 - CPU7 and compiles OK

So, looks like SSDT-1 is the only one that needs to be included in Clover/ACPI/Patched with DropOEM in config.plist.

Next thing tried was installing VoodooPS2 controller, which was a flop.
If installed in Clover/kexts it works great.
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install was not possible to follow completely as the files to be deleted do not even exist in S/L/E in Sierra 10.12.1. Nor are they in L/E.
Using KextBeast I installed the kext to L/E, then copied the daemon to usr/bin per the instructions. Removed the kext from Clover and rebooted. No trackpad function at all. Repaired permissions/rebuild caches, reboot - no change - still no trackpad.
Not sure if it is changes in 10.12.1 or if I did something wrong. It worked in the Beta versions.

@RehabMan - is there a later version? Did I miss something?

Attachments

• IOREG&Clover.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 108
Finally got around to working with this laptop again. Clean install of Sierra 10.12.1.
Things done:
Installed Clover, used KextBeast to install FakeSMC, Realtek8111, ran Clover Configurator to get SMBIOS added to config.plist, removed kexts from Clover/kexts.
After making certain the config.plist had no DSDT/SSDT "fixes", rebooted to Clover and F4 to get ACPI dump to Clover/ACPI/origin
Copied the Origin folder to a backup drive and deleted the contents in the Clover folder.
Followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/. to create PM SSDT and add it to Clover/ACPI/Patched
Copied the DSDT and SSDT files to yet another folder so they were all together.
Followed this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/ - for the following:
Downloaded patchmatic / patches / MacIASL and disassembled the native files.
SSDT-0 - seems to be for SATA - compiles with a couple of warnings
SSDT-1 is CPU related with 16 Syntax errors - seems one section was copied 16 times with wrong spacing. First tried to make spacing match, still errors, so tried deleting the extra copies - SSDT compiled with 3 warnings.
SSDT-2 is also CPU related - compiles with warning
SSDT-6 is SATA related and compiles OK
SSDT-7 is \_SB.PCIO = graphics and contains PEG0, PEG1, PEG2, BOD3, GFX0 - compiles OK
SSDT-8 is CPU Power management related and compiles OK
SSDT-9 is also CPU related - \_PR.CPU0 - CPU7 and compiles OK

So, looks like SSDT-1 is the only one that needs to be included in Clover/ACPI/Patched with DropOEM in config.plist.

Next thing tried was installing VoodooPS2 controller, which was a flop.
If installed in Clover/kexts it works great.
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install was not possible to follow completely as the files to be deleted do not even exist in S/L/E in Sierra 10.12.1. Nor are they in L/E.
Using KextBeast I installed the kext to L/E, then copied the daemon to usr/bin per the instructions. Removed the kext from Clover and rebooted. No trackpad function at all. Repaired permissions/rebuild caches, reboot - no change - still no trackpad.
Not sure if it is changes in 10.12.1 or if I did something wrong. It worked in the Beta versions.

@RehabMan - is there a later version? Did I miss something?

Unless there is a reason to drop particular SSDTs, include all static SSDTs in your patched set.

Based on ACPI/origin, you would have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml

Hint: Use "Remove _PSS placeholders" for SSDT-1.aml.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext works equally from Clover kexts or the system volume (/L/E or /S/L/E). Must be installed correctly. Use Terminal or Kext Wizard. The instructions are correct, but must be read carefully. Some "files to be removed" may not exist as you may not have installed the older ApplePS2Controller.kext or older VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext works equally from Clover kexts or the system volume (/L/E or /S/L/E). Must be installed correctly. Use Terminal or Kext Wizard. The instructions are correct, but must be read carefully. Some "files to be removed" may not exist as you may not have installed the older ApplePS2Controller.kext or older VoodooPS2Controller.kext.
OK, no files to delete as I have a clean install that never had the older kexts installed.
It would seem that there is a particular order in which the items must be installed.
Install kext to L/E first, then install the other two files to user/bin and L/LaunchDaemons = failure.
Install .plist to L/LD first, then VoodooPS2Daemon to user/bin, and then install the kext = success.

So, I have the trackpad working, but not fully tested for all gestures.
Does it work with the one finger/2 finger swipes? And the finger+thumb squeeze in squeeze out for zooming? I cannot make it work for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 4.50.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 4.50.53 PM.png
    42 KB · Views: 139
Unless there is a reason to drop particular SSDTs, include all static SSDTs in your patched set.

Based on ACPI/origin, you would have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml

Hint: Use "Remove _PSS placeholders" for SSDT-1.aml.
OK, will make it so.

Question - all of the screen lighting control guides I have seen only deal with the CPU gfx. Is there no guide for a locked in discrete GPU?

I had some time to work with this a bit today and have managed to get audio working with the ALC668 onboard.
Required to install:
AppleALC.kext in S/L
CodecCommander.kext in S/L/E
SSDT-ALC668.aml in Clover/ACPI/Patched

Audio is working via laptop speakers, but volume is low - at 50% setting the sound effects in Preferences/Sound are not audible.
100% setting is about same as 50% on Win10.

If I understand correctly, CC is more to re-initialize the devices after sleep. Since I have not gotten this to wake from sleep yet, no way to tell if it works properly or not. If I allow it to sleep it black screens.

Question - all of the screen lighting control guides I have seen only deal with the CPU gfx. Is there no guide for a locked in discrete GPU?

I haven't seen one, but of course I haven't looked either. Start with adding PNLF and go from there...

Audio is working via laptop speakers, but volume is low - at 50% setting the sound effects in Preferences/Sound are not audible.
100% setting is about same as 50% on Win10.

It is typical with patched AppleHDA on laptops.

If I understand correctly, CC is more to re-initialize the devices after sleep. Since I have not gotten this to wake from sleep yet, no way to tell if it works properly or not. If I allow it to sleep it black screens.

Might be related to lack of brightness control or some other framebuffer issue.
Or it could be a more general sleep problem...
Try to isolate the problem by using remote desktop after sleep.

OK, set Preferences->Sharing to share screen, checked the MBP and I am able to share screen of the Asus from the MBP.
Allowed it to go to sleep. If I hit a key or shake mouse within 1 minute, it wakes. If I allow more time to pass, nothing wakes it. So, go to the MBP and attempt screen share - tries for awhile, then the Asus reboots with the error message included in the attached zip file.

Attachments

• G751JY-Sleep.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back