Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So far this has been a dream laptop to work with OS X on. I have not really done much with it past the basic install of Sierra PB1 except to install the nVidia drivers for the GTX980M GPU. 1920x1080 screen resolution on a 17.3 screen makes the fonts too small for me to read so I have to attach a larger display to see anything.
Steps I took:
Create the USB installer with create install media method
Install Clover v3602 to the USB and edit the config.plist down to bare bones - only essentials to make it boot.
Add FakeSMC, Realtek 8111 and RehabMan's VoodooPS2controller to Clover/kexts/other
Deleted all of the numbered kext folders

Booted the USB, installed Sierra and set up a user.
Installed Clover to the SSD, replaced the config.plist with the one on the USB
Copied the kext files from the USB to desktop
Used KextBeast to install the basic 3 kext files to L/E
Ejected the USB.
Downloaded the Sierra Beta nVidia drivers and installed them, set the nVidia driver as default in Preferences Pane with the nVidia control panel
Rebooted with only -v boot-arg
System booted right up to 1080p resolution and I did not need nvda_drv=1 boot arg at all.

I just now updated via Appstore Updater to Sierra Public Beta 2 and it is working well from the little I have tested. When I get the DSDT edited and everything 100% this is going to be an awesome laptop for MacOS.

So far this has been a dream laptop to work with OS X on. I have not really done much with it past the basic install of Sierra PB1 except to install the nVidia drivers for the GTX980M GPU. 1920x1080 screen resolution on a 17.3 screen makes the fonts too small for me to read so I have to attach a larger display to see anything.
Steps I took:
Create the USB installer with create install media method
Install Clover v3602 to the USB and edit the config.plist down to bare bones - only essentials to make it boot.
Add FakeSMC, Realtek 8111 and RehabMan's VoodooPS2controller to Clover/kexts/other
Deleted all of the numbered kext folders

Booted the USB, installed Sierra and set up a user.
Installed Clover to the SSD, replaced the config.plist with the one on the USB
Copied the kext files from the USB to desktop
Used KextBeast to install the basic 3 kext files to L/E
Ejected the USB.
Downloaded the Sierra Beta nVidia drivers and installed them, set the nVidia driver as default in Preferences Pane with the nVidia control panel
Rebooted with only -v boot-arg
System booted right up to 1080p resolution and I did not need nvda_drv=1 boot arg at all.

I just now updated via Appstore Updater to Sierra Public Beta 2 and it is working well from the little I have tested. When I get the DSDT edited and everything 100% this is going to be an awesome laptop for MacOS.

Brightness controls working in SysPrefs->Displays?
Sleep working?
WiFi working?
USB3 working?
Power management working?
Audio working?
HDMI/DP audio working?
Battery status working?

Brightness controls working in SysPrefs->Displays?
Sleep working?
WiFi working?
USB3 working?
Power management working?
Audio working?
HDMI/DP audio working?
Battery status working?
As I said, I have not really had a chance to do anything much with it. Been working 6 12's and will continue to do so until Labor day. Then I get a break. Hopefully by then I will have completed the major conversion project and I can drop back to 5 10's.

SysPrefs->Displays = no brightness adjustment is present.

Screen sleeps, but that is may be just the hardware/firmware and not the OS although I do have to log in when I wake the screen. Trying to use the Apple/sleep button does not work - brief black screen and back to desktop screen.
There is an annoying scraping sound from the left side about every 5 minutes. I have ordered a replacement Pioneer drive as my experience with Asus drives is that they prevent sleep because of this periodic checking to see if someone has slipped a disc in the drive tray. I suspect that is what is causing the noise.
If I look at Console->System log I see several instances of "Flushing contents to disk due to sleep event" - this may be from it trying to sleep, then waking right back up.
Now that it is up and running and updated to PB2, I will leave it up and connected and then take a look at the logs Sunday when I have some time to play with it.

WiFi does not work as the card it Intel (I expected that) - BT, OTOH does work.

USB3.0 ports working as 2.0 (all 4 of them).

The specs say I have a TB port and the connector is there, but SysInfo says no hardware was found. I will need to look into this more at a later date. May have to initialize the port in Win10 first, then try it with Sierra. I did get an external drive case that connects TB to test it and it works with the Samsung SSD connecting it to my late 2013 MBP (last one made you could upgrade RAM and drive in) so I do have something to test it with.

PM not working as far as I can tell

Audio not working yet

HDMI does work as that is how I can read the screen - otherwise the font size at 1080p is too small. I have to get right up over the KB and use 2x glasses to be able to read the fine print.

No battery status other than the LEDs on the front edge of the case giving me a green light shading to yellow and to red as the battery discharges.

I have a lot of study and work ahead to get this working 100% or even 95% would make me happy. I can use a USB dongle for WiFi if I need it. Mostly I connect wired to a multiport network switch.

As I said, I have not really had a chance to do anything much with it. Been working 6 12's and will continue to do so until Labor day. Then I get a break. Hopefully by then I will have completed the major conversion project and I can drop back to 5 10's.

SysPrefs->Displays = no brightness adjustment is present.

Screen sleeps, but that is may be just the hardware/firmware and not the OS although I do have to log in when I wake the screen. Trying to use the Apple/sleep button does not work - brief black screen and back to desktop screen.
There is an annoying scraping sound from the left side about every 5 minutes. I have ordered a replacement Pioneer drive as my experience with Asus drives is that they prevent sleep because of this periodic checking to see if someone has slipped a disc in the drive tray. I suspect that is what is causing the noise.
If I look at Console->System log I see several instances of "Flushing contents to disk due to sleep event" - this may be from it trying to sleep, then waking right back up.
Now that it is up and running and updated to PB2, I will leave it up and connected and then take a look at the logs Sunday when I have some time to play with it.

WiFi does not work as the card it Intel (I expected that) - BT, OTOH does work.

USB3.0 ports working as 2.0 (all 4 of them).

The specs say I have a TB port and the connector is there, but SysInfo says no hardware was found. I will need to look into this more at a later date. May have to initialize the port in Win10 first, then try it with Sierra. I did get an external drive case that connects TB to test it and it works with the Samsung SSD connecting it to my late 2013 MBP (last one made you could upgrade RAM and drive in) so I do have something to test it with.

PM not working as far as I can tell

Audio not working yet

HDMI does work as that is how I can read the screen - otherwise the font size at 1080p is too small. I have to get right up over the KB and use 2x glasses to be able to read the fine print.

No battery status other than the LEDs on the front edge of the case giving me a green light shading to yellow and to red as the battery discharges.

I have a lot of study and work ahead to get this working 100% or even 95% would make me happy. I can use a USB dongle for WiFi if I need it. Mostly I connect wired to a multiport network switch.

All as expected with your current state of installation... In other words, you have a lot of work to do. Installing on laptops is nothing like desktops (!)

What is the native internal screen resolution?

Note that I was asking about HDMI-audio, not HDMI-video.

Looks like you have a fun project ahead of you...

Nice looking laptop. What CPU you go for? How is Powermangement looking on these newer laptops? Anything funky or straight forward?

All as expected with your current state of installation... In other words, you have a lot of work to do. Installing on laptops is nothing like desktops (!)

What is the native internal screen resolution?

Note that I was asking about HDMI-audio, not HDMI-video.

Looks like you have a fun project ahead of you...
According to Asus spec sheet, the screen is "17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) anti-glare"

HDMI audio not working at this time either - SysPrefs->Sound shows no audio output devices

According to Asus spec sheet, the screen is "17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) anti-glare"

Just wondering as you say 1080p too small to read on 17" screen (thought you might have UHD).
I use 1080p on a 15" screen...

Just wondering as you say 1080p too small to read on 17" screen (thought you might have UHD).
I use 1080p on a 15" screen...
Screen is not the problem - it is nice and sharp high definition. Problem is these old eyes of mine can't read the fine print anymore. My normal eye distance from a screen is ~30" on dual 1600x1200 Dell displays or ~24" on dual Dell U2414H at 1920x1080. The 24" Dells are marginal reading the font size if it is too small (14 or less). For the laptop, I have to get close to be able to read it at all, and then I need magnifier reading glasses - I found the 2x at Walmart work OK for this.

Just got home and checked the Asus
Code:
Default    16:54:22.482169 -0500    apsd    <APSWakeStateManager: 0x7fe3c7a05ce0>: prepareForSleep
Default    16:54:22.482546 -0500    apsd    <APSWakeStateManager: 0x7fe3c7a05ce0>: Waiting to acknowledge power change event
Default    16:54:22.483176 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c7903700>: prepareForSleep for 0 darkWakeEnabled
Default    16:54:22.483319 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c7a030d0>: Choosing red list for topic com.icloud.askpermission because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483432 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c7900a30>: prepareForSleep for 501 darkWakeEnabled
Default    16:54:22.483481 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c7900a30>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.maps.icloud because dark wake enabled but not in power nap wake
Default    16:54:22.483575 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.icloud-container.com.apple.callhistory.sync-helper because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483622 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.passd because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483662 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.maspushagent because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483705 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.icloud-container.com.apple.keyboardservicesd because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483746 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.mobileme.fmf3 because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483790 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.icloud.askpermission because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483834 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c5743200>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.idmsauth because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.483896 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c7b0aac0>: prepareForSleep for 0 darkWakeEnabled
Default    16:54:22.483996 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c791f010>: Choosing red list for topic com.apple.maspushagent because not dark wake enabled but not in full wake
Default    16:54:22.484085 -0500    apsd    <APSTopicFilterPolicyOSX: 0x7fe3c7915e80>: prepareForSleep for 501 darkWakeEnabled
Default    16:54:23.560764 -0500    apsd    <APSWakeStateManager: 0x7fe3c7a05ce0>: Acknowledging power change event after waiting
Default    16:54:23.784475 -0500    kernel    ACPI S3 WAKE
Default    16:54:24.004321 -0500    kernel    Wake reason: EHC1 EHC2 XHC
Default    16:54:24.004323 -0500    kernel    Wake reason: EHC1 EHC2 XHC

Would seem to indicate that it is trying to sleep and something on the EHC1 EHC2 XHC bus is preventing it. This repeats in cycles over and over for more times that I want to count, about 6 minute intervals - which tends to confirm it is probably the system checking the drive. I am going to remove it and just leave it out and see.

Put the Win10 drive back in, loaded the Thunderbolt drivers and tested with a drive connected to a Seagate Thunderbolt adapter.
Drive is recognized and transfer is super fast.
Swapped the Win10 drive out and the Sierra drive in and the drive shows on the desktop as in external drive but SysInfo Thunderbolt still says no drivers are loaded. Does Sierra not have any TB drivers? I thought they were included native.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back