Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So in December 2013 I built a hackingtosh with the specs seen below. I stuck quite rigidly to the 2012 buyers guide on Tony Mac. I'm just thinking about the future of my machine, how easily and cost effectivly I could upgrade it to push it's processing abilities. I use my machine for video editing (premier pro) and motion graphics (After Effects). I guess my quesiton is...
What would you guys advise I do in terms of upgrading my machine in the future? How much can I upgrade it before having to basically rebuild the whole thing?
If there is a limitation to what I can achieve then i'm tempted to sell the whole thing on and pick up a new MacBookPro.

The reason i'm thinking about this is that i'm traveling for 3 - 6 months in June, and I won't be taking my hackingtosh with me. So by the time I get back to it it may be time for an upgrade/ replacement anyhow.

Any information/ suggestions would be welcome.

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor processor
EVGA GF GTX 680 SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card graphics card
mother board Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UP5 Thunderbolt Motherboard
ssd ssd 480 sandisk
harddrive Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive
ram Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance 32GB 1600MHz CL DDR3 Memory Quad Kit
case Corsair Obsidian 650D CC650DW-1
fan Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK)
cooler Corsair CWCH100 Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance 240mm Radiator All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler
wireless TP Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
monitor 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M Widescreen IPS Monitor - Black
headphones Sennheiser HD280pro Closed Monitoring Headphones
thudnerbolt adapter Apple MD464ZM/A Firewire (800) socket 9-pin to Thunderbolt plug Adapter

Screenshot 2014-03-26 13.11.56.jpg
Thanks

You've got a socket 1155 Ivy Bridge system so there is really no way to upgrade the
cpu without getting a completely new motherboard. I'd keep this build going for a
few more years then build new with a Broadwell system or whatever is the newest
at that time. You may be able to increase performance now by doing some over clocking
of your CPU.

You've got a socket 1155 Ivy Bridge system so there is really no way to upgrade the
cpu without getting a completely new motherboard. I'd keep this build going for a
few more years then build new with a Broadwell system or whatever is the newest
at that time. You may be able to increase performance now by doing some over clocking
of your CPU.

A GPU upgrade is all that you could do without rebuilding (plus it could help with video editing), otherwise as said above keep this baby rocking.

I agree with the other two. Keep your baby rocking. Once this fall 2014 when they release new hardware , then tonymac will
an update buyers guide and I would upgrade the motherboard and cpu etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back