Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi guys,

I'm considering updating my rig's BIOS to UEFI. The problem is, I'm afraid I may wreck the existing OS-s environment by doing so.

My current CustoMac (relevant) configuration is as follows:

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.3 - still stuck on F10 BIOS!!!
CPU: 3.29 GHz Intel Core i5 2500k overclocked (100% stable) @ 3.60 Ghz
Graphics: Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD
Memory: 4x4GB modules (16 GB) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance
Storage: a) OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 6.0Gb/s 120GB SSD split into two partitions: the 1st one is NTFS / Win8 x64, and the 2nd one HFS+ Journaled running OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks
Storage: b) Kingston SPV200S37A SATA 6.0Gb/s 120GB SSD, again, split in two equal partitions: both of them are formatted as HFS+ Journaled. The 1st one hosts OS X 10.10 Yosemite, while the second one is empty for now.

Yosemite works almost perfectly with the exception of fairly rare app crashes which didn't happen to my old Mavericks though. Also, iMessage is not working but this is hardly a surprise for me given the Chimera bootloader and all.

I was wondering whether or not upgrading the old F10 BIOS to U1L UEFI would ruin my two OS X installations and also the Windows one? I'd prefer not to be forced to waste at least a couple days by re-installing everything from ground zero. Do you have any experience to share? I'd highly appreciate any pointers/suggestions!

Many thanks!

I had no problem following this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/123-how-upgrade-bios-uefi-gigabyte-s-6-series-motherboards.html

Very important though you pay attention to this part!

One important thing to remember to do before you restart your system, is to find your DSDT file in the Extra folder and delete it, as it won’t be needed once you’ve upgraded to UEFI. You might want to save it elsewhere if you’ve made custom edits to it and then roll a fresh DSDT file once you’ve flashed the BIOS.

This won't affect you dual boot (other than getting the boot order correct in the updated BIOS) and be sure you delete/move your DSDT from both your OSX installations.

A reminder that UEFI on an older motherboard is much more flakey than current generation chipsets, i.e. Z87 and Z97. The old adage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind.

Regards,

I can only tell you that with our motherboard the UEFI is rock solid stable on my hack.

good luck.

I had no problem following this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/123-how-upgrade-bios-uefi-gigabyte-s-6-series-motherboards.html

Very important though you pay attention to this part!

This won't affect you dual boot (other than getting the boot order correct in the updated BIOS) and be sure you delete/move your DSDT from both your OSX installations.

Genius! I'm forever in your debt, everything worked like a charm! I love the new UEFI interface, the hack even seems to boot faster than before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back