7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. SE
  11. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi,

What are the current (2021) recommendations for a short AMD GPU for a Mini-ITX case?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N Gaming 5
RAM: 16Gb
GPU (current): EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB (Nvidia)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 (max GPU length 210mm / 8.3 inch)

Cheers,

Hi,

What are the current (2021) recommendations for a short AMD GPU for a Mini-ITX case?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N Gaming 5
RAM: 16Gb
GPU (current): EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB (Nvidia)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 (max GPU length 210mm / 8.3 inch)

Cheers,
If you are using an i5 4670 as indicated in this system, then you can just remove the existing graphics card and use CPU integrated graphics to run (a recent version of) MacOS.

New graphics cards are currently difficult to find and when they are available their prices are highly inflated due to supply constraint and cryptocurrency boom. Adding to the problem, I don't think I have seen a current AMD graphics card compatible with MacOS with a length that's within your requirements. There are older cards like Sapphire RX 560 Pulse 4GB which is 210 mm long (I have one) but I don't think they are still available.

If you insist on finding a suitable AMD card maybe you can try your luck on the second hand market.

with a length that's within your requirements
I need a dedicated GPU for a particular video app I use. The solution for the Cooler Master Elite 110 case is to cut out a section of the metal panel at the front to gain another 30mm for a slightly longer card. Not sure why case manufacturers create these problems but a few mins with a Dremel fixes the issue :)

I need a dedicated GPU for a particular video app I use. The solution for the Cooler Master Elite 110 case is to cut out a section of the metal panel at the front to gain another 30mm for a slightly longer card. Not sure why case manufacturers create these problems but a few mins with a Dremel fixes the issue :)

Hi there.

So do we class this thread as "Solved"?

Did you cut a hole and fit a GPU?

If not, are you still looking for a short ITX-compatible GPU?

If yes, what particular reason do you need to upgrade for your video work?

:)

Hi there.

So do we class this thread as "Solved"?

Did you cut a hole and fit a GPU?

If not, are you still looking for a short ITX-compatible GPU?

If yes, what particular reason do you need to upgrade for your video work?

:)
Solved – Yes and No (but yes)

Cutting panels in cases is a solution as long as the card is contained inside the outer panels or decorative plastic. With the Cooler Master Elite 110 case there's a gap between the inner metal chassis and the plastic front panel which accommodates the front fan. So its pretty safe to cut out a hole to make room. I've cut case panels before to accommodate long GPU, mainly when adapting rack mount cases. Get a Dremel.

I might be looking for a new GPU but currently its almost impossible to buy anything at a reasonable price. I have a RX 580 Pulse 8GB running in another OC machine running Big Sur and its very happy. But you can't buy the things at the moment!!!

I run VDMX for video work.

Solved – Yes and No (but yes)

Cutting panels in cases is a solution as long as the card is contained inside the outer panels or decorative plastic. With the Cooler Master Elite 110 case there's a gap between the inner metal chassis and the plastic front panel which accommodates the front fan. So its pretty safe to cut out a hole to make room. I've cut case panels before to accommodate long GPU, mainly when adapting rack mount cases. Get a Dremel.

I might be looking for a new GPU but currently its almost impossible to buy anything at a reasonable price. I have a RX 580 Pulse 8GB running in another OC machine running Big Sur and its very happy. But you can't buy the things at the moment!!!

I run VDMX for video work.

Fair enough. i'll mark it as Solved. :thumbup:

Yes, any GPU with 4GB of memory or more is a rare or expensive proposition these days, sadly.

If you can find them, the WX 5100 is 173mm and the WX 4100 is 168mm, 8GB and 4GB, work OOB all the way up to Big Sur, are single slot, and can be found from Dell system pulls at sometimes reasonable prices.

Yep, the Radeon Pro WX 5100 is listed in the OpenCore GPU Buyers Guide but the used prices are through the roof (£350-£500 GBP / UK). Same goes for any recommended GPU at the moment, most are retailing at almost double the regular price if you can find anything. Sticking with a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB for the moment on this build... was having BIOS issues with the Gigabyte GA-Z97N Gaming 5 rev1 motherboard but its settled down now (tip: never touch the BIOS on this board!).

There is a WX4100 in the UK eBay right now for 99 GBP. Theses seem easier to find at lower prices than the WX5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back