- Jan 13, 2010
- Classic Mac
- Mobile Phone
1. Fluid - http://fluidapp.com - This one allows creating SSBs (Single Site Browsers) for your common webapps. It supports scripts that can update dock badges and generate growl messages. Which brings me to #2
2. Growl - http://growl.info - This gives nice system notifications supported by lots of software, configurable. Basically belongs on every mac.
3. Google Quick Search Box, Launchbar, or Quicksilver - Quick launch apps. My preference is QSB since it is free, Launchbar is quite nice as well, but is a bit pricey. Quicksilver used to be the gold standard, but has been buggy when trying it lately under SL.
4. Picasa - http://picasa.google.com - Prefer it over iPhoto by a large margin.
5. Perian - http://perian.org - adds support to quicktime for all those unusual codecs.
6. Movist - http://code.google.com/p/movist/ - This is great movie player for when quicktime does not cut it. Uses FFMPEG so it handles pretty much the same stuff as perian, but has more features than the default quicktime player.
7. Evernote - http://evernote.com - Captures snippets of text, images, web page fragments, great universal search, text recognition from images, syncs with mobile devices. Many more features
8. Boxee - http://boxee.tv - This is the best media center application in my testing. I have tested most of them. The new version is awesome.
9. Adium - http://adium.im - Great multi-protocol IM application. Try it if you find iChat lacking.
10. Sizeup - http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/sizeup/ - This one is a bit esoteric but I really appreciate its utility. Allows manipulating windows with hotkeys. Really useful with you nice new multi monitor box.
Last edited by a moderator: