Contribute
Register

Set Clover's default auto-boot OS to something other than OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an old thread but I don't get this at all :C you say that last booted os is stored in nvram or nvram.plist? (or it is the same thing?) I was looking for it after changing boot options i mac system conf and in fact - next time I boot Clover will get the thing I choose as a first boot device but until I boot to Mac os. For now on I get it.
What I don't understand is where is this nvram stored to (I can't find it anywhere on my drive) and second thing is that Clover has this clever function to IgnoreNVRAMboot. Problem is that when you choose this option it won't remember the timeout option and will be waiting for you to press Enter to boot into right system. That sucks :/ but there is also an option to change Default Boot Volume which in fact isn't working for me at all. I've tried to type almost everything in there from names like Windows by Windows EFI, Win, EFI, even drive key but none of them works.
Could you give me some reasonable solution how to make Clover always boot to Windows EFI boot with automatic countdown?

Clover will pick up the boot drive option in System Preferences. You could set it there, but the Windows side will not be able to change it.

UNLESSSSSSS you have Apple's BootCamp software loaded on the Windows drive. My Win7 SSD came from the days of my old MacPro setup and it still contained the BootCamp software on it when I used it on my new hack. I used that SSD to boot up the new hack and let windows find all the new underlying hardware and poof it worked. Even the StartUp Disk option worked (well it didn't work when I was using Chimera.)

Clover will pick up the boot drive option in System Preferences. You could set it there, but the Windows side will not be able to change it.

UNLESSSSSSS you have Apple's BootCamp software loaded on the Windows drive. My Win7 SSD came from the days of my old MacPro setup and it still contained the BootCamp software on it when I used it on my new hack. I used that SSD to boot up the new hack and let windows find all the new underlying hardware and poof it worked. Even the StartUp Disk option worked (well it didn't work when I was using Chimera.)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Tomato Bob! :clap: Clover was not automatically booting ANY OS. It was just waiting indefinitely for me to choose until I set the option in System Preferences -> Startup Disk in OS X...

Now I am automatically booting into OS X with a 5 second timeout option to manually change it on the clover screen :) Just what I wanted... :headbang:

Okay reviving an old thread.
I have ElCapitan and Windows 10 Dual booting with Clover from the same Intel SSD Drive. Both are obviously UEFI on 2 partitions with Volume Labels MAC and Win10.
The Mac OS is default and it will autoboot in 3 seconds as specified.
I want the default OS booting without any key pressed and with a countdown of 3secs to be Windows 10.
In Mac OS if I go to System Preference - Choose Boot Drive - It shows MAC and Win10. If I choose Win 10 it becomes the default for the next boot and Windows will autoboot with the countdown timer. But one more reboot and MAC is again the default.
Has anybody been able to permanently make Windows the default boot OS with the auto timer to boot without a key ?

Thanks
Styler

Okay reviving an old thread.
I have ElCapitan and Windows 10 Dual booting with Clover from the same Intel SSD Drive. Both are obviously UEFI on 2 partitions with Volume Labels MAC and Win10.
The Mac OS is default and it will autoboot in 3 seconds as specified.
I want the default OS booting without any key pressed and with a countdown of 3secs to be Windows 10.
In Mac OS if I go to System Preference - Choose Boot Drive - It shows MAC and Win10. If I choose Win 10 it becomes the default for the next boot and Windows will autoboot with the countdown timer. But one more reboot and MAC is again the default.
Has anybody been able to permanently make Windows the default boot OS with the auto timer to boot without a key ?

Thanks
Styler

See Timeout and Default Volume @ https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot

I used Clover Configurator. Go to boot tab. Volume = "UUID (which I got from pressing the space bar on the clover boot screen icon for my windows drive. It's the long HEX string)". Path is "\EFI\Boot\Microsoft\bootmgw.efi" or "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgw.efi". If someone knows the correct path as I'm away from home atm. This did the trick for me.

Hi.

I know this old thread has been resurrected but it was a godsend really. I had the same issue as STYLER, El Capitan and W10 on an SSD. I have previously changed the startup disk in MAC preferences without any issues but now it would only stick for one reboot.

Following advice I booted to clover, selected w10 pressed the space bar and used my smartphone to get a photo the UUID number from the screen. Then booted into MAC and used clover configurator to insert the UUID into the Default Boot Volume (top right) on the boot tab.

Hey Presto, my default is now w10 with a timeout!

For those with multiple options in clover showing legacy boot devices (again W10) I also was able to eliminate these by unticking the 'Legacy' box on the GUI tab under SCAN which then just left me with 3 options, Mac, Recovery and W10. Note however, to do this make sure you untick legacy before you change the boot device as it was greyed out once I had entered the UUID number into the boot screen.

Hope this helps someone out.

It really needs to be the name of the Clover entry, not the partition name. eg I had to use
Legacy HD2
not the partition name
Windows

Hi.

I know this old thread has been resurrected but it was a godsend really. I had the same issue as STYLER, El Capitan and W10 on an SSD. I have previously changed the startup disk in MAC preferences without any issues but now it would only stick for one reboot.

Following advice I booted to clover, selected w10 pressed the space bar and used my smartphone to get a photo the UUID number from the screen. Then booted into MAC and used clover configurator to insert the UUID into the Default Boot Volume (top right) on the boot tab.

Hey Presto, my default is now w10 with a timeout!

For those with multiple options in clover showing legacy boot devices (again W10) I also was able to eliminate these by unticking the 'Legacy' box on the GUI tab under SCAN which then just left me with 3 options, Mac, Recovery and W10. Note however, to do this make sure you untick legacy before you change the boot device as it was greyed out once I had entered the UUID number into the boot screen.

Hope this helps someone out.
Thank you in advance, I will try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back