Contribute
Register

Set Clover's default auto-boot OS to something other than OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay reviving an old thread.
I have ElCapitan and Windows 10 Dual booting with Clover from the same Intel SSD Drive. Both are obviously UEFI on 2 partitions with Volume Labels MAC and Win10.
The Mac OS is default and it will autoboot in 3 seconds as specified.
I want the default OS booting without any key pressed and with a countdown of 3secs to be Windows 10.
In Mac OS if I go to System Preference - Choose Boot Drive - It shows MAC and Win10. If I choose Win 10 it becomes the default for the next boot and Windows will autoboot with the countdown timer. But one more reboot and MAC is again the default.
Has anybody been able to permanently make Windows the default boot OS with the auto timer to boot without a key ?
It's completely same with me. I try several ways but it's the same, default boot changes to Win10 but lost the timeout, I have to press Enter to boot. When I remove the default option, timeout works normally and default is MacOS.
I try all options follow this link https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Win10</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Microsoft EFI</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>57272A5A-7EFE-4404-9CDA-C33761D0DB3C</string>
<key>DefaultLoader</key>
<string>bootmgfw.efi</string>

Again, I want the default OS booting without any key pressed and with a countdown of 3secs to be Windows 10.
Has anybody been able to permanently make Windows the default boot OS with the auto timer to boot without a key ?

It's completely same with me. I try several ways but it's the same, default boot changes to Win10 but lost the timeout, I have to press Enter to boot. When I remove the default option, timeout works normally and default is MacOS.
I try all options follow this link https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Win10</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Microsoft EFI</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>57272A5A-7EFE-4404-9CDA-C33761D0DB3C</string>
<key>DefaultLoader</key>
<string>bootmgfw.efi</string>

Again, I want the default OS booting without any key pressed and with a countdown of 3secs to be Windows 10.

For me it's working by typing the full path to the default loader. In my case "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" and set Volume "EFI" as default Boot Volume. By doing that Windows is booting automatically with timeout specified in my config.plist even after manually booting to OSX. Hope this helps you.

It's an old thread but it helped me.
How I fixed it:
System Preferences > Startup Disk > Authenticate (Lock) > Select the disk that is not Osx
It will say << You have selected Windows on the disk "NameOfTheDisk" >>

Input the NameOfTheDisk in the DefaultVolume, for example for me it was saying:
<< You have selected Windows on the disk "Untitled" >>
So I've changed <string>Sierra</string> to <string>Untitled</string>

Here's an extract:

Code:
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>dart=0</string>
        <key>Debug</key>
        <false/>
        <key>DefaultVolume</key>
        <string>Untitled</string>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Log</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Secure</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>3</integer>
        <key>XMPDetection</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>

For me it's working by typing the full path to the default loader. In my case "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" and set Volume "EFI" as default Boot Volume. By doing that Windows is booting automatically with timeout specified in my config.plist even after manually booting to OSX. Hope this helps you.
Work like a charm. Thank so muchhhhh! love u guy :))

Just want to say, this solved the problem! Thanks!

Ok to sum everything that other kind people already said about booting windows automatically with Clover bootloader.

I had Clover already working, it was booting osx automatically with timer, but I wanted to boot windows

so 1st download Clover Configurator, open it and go to Mount EFI section, from there you should mount your EFI partition

now go to finder and open that EFI partition, find /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist right click on it and open it with Clover Configurator

in Clover Configurator find the section Boot.

In Default Boot Volume filed type your EFI drive name my was just EFI and below that paste this \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
choose timeout duration save and exit Clover Configurator.

That's it!
From now on you will boot windows first with a timer.

Ok to sum everything that other kind people already said about booting windows automatically with Clover bootloader.

I had Clover already working, it was booting osx automatically with timer, but I wanted to boot windows

so 1st download Clover Configurator, open it and go to Mount EFI section, from there you should mount your EFI partition

now go to finder and open that EFI partition, find /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist right click on it and open it with Clover Configurator

in Clover Configurator find the section Boot.

In Default Boot Volume filed type your EFI drive name my was just EFI and below that paste this \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
choose timeout duration save and exit Clover Configurator.

That's it!
From now on you will boot windows first with a timer.

Is this only for 1 SSD with dual boot MacOS and Windows 10?
I can't find any folder or file that you listed at this location.
There is no Microsoft folder.

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Why the hell isn't this an option in Clover? It would be so simple, and save so much hassle when updating Windows with its 2,358 reboots

Is this only for 1 SSD with dual boot MacOS and Windows 10?
I can't find any folder or file that you listed at this location.
There is no Microsoft folder.

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
You have installed Legacy Mode on a P8Z68 board, yes? IIRC Sandy Bridge had very poor UEFI implementation and it was very spotty on which boards had it and which did not.
Windows must be installed UEFI to get a folder in the EFI partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back